Death Ridge

Have hope! Depending on the configuration and strength of any early summer ridge.... there should still be chasing somewhere. It might be in eastern NM or eastern Colorado, but storms can still form on the edges of, or even under a "strong" ridge. There are many examples of great storms forming while chasers were freaking out about the so-called "death ridge." A vetern chaser once advised me that a true (storm ending) death ridge is a large upper high centered over the Plains with a strength of at least 594dkm, 700 mb temps of at least 14C, and 500 mb temps of warmer than -5C. I don't see that yet?

Mike

Folks.....in my years of chasing, I've come up with a little saying (just to myself)...and it's..."May-Schmay". I have learned that May can be a darn fickle month.....and generally all of it but the last week or so. That's why I ALWAYS book my chase vacations for the last week of May thru mid June. In my opinion...May is too often too cool........or without instabilities. It took me a lot of May bust years to finally change my thinking...and change my chase dates.
Sure, I'm aware that many of you are tethered in Norman for various reasons...but in my experience...if a chaser is willing to WORK at this endeavor..meaning drive long distances to get him / her in the best position to experience supercells, and chase even on "marginal" days....you'll not come up empty handed. So what if the south plains get ridged out...why not drive up to Nebraska or thereabouts? I mean...Nebraska has only had 3 tornadic days within the last 6 days.
My chase partner and cousin Doren and I work our butts off driving where need be. We generally stay within the area west of the Missouri river (except to Iowa) and from the Dakotas down to the Midland area. We go where we have to. Yes...it can be work. And let me tell you....we've had tornadoes on days that were extremely marginal.
C'mon guys.......never forget that there are folks out there paralyzed from the neck down that see us chasers on television, and would give ANYTHING to be out with us for even an hour. Quit whining!! And I say that with all respect, you know. But "courage in the face of adversity"!!

|

Originally posted by joel ewing
if a chaser is willing to WORK at this endeavor..meaning drive long distances to get him / her in the best position to experience supercells, and chase even on \"marginal\" days....you'll not come up empty handed. So what if the south plains get ridged out...why not drive up to Nebraska or thereabouts?

If you're handing me the cash to do that - HELL YEAH BUDDY. I don't like your comment about chasers being "willing to WORK for it." As opposed to what? Many of us simply can't afford to go galavanting off to whatever state the action will be in on a given day. Trust me, I fear no distance; I'll drive to any place to have a chance at a tornado, but all the willingness in the world is moot if your wallet isn't thick. I think a lot of chasers who don't have to worry about money tend to forget a lot more of us do have to worry about it.

Originally posted by joel ewing+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(joel ewing)</div>
My chase partner and cousin Doren and I work our butts off driving where need be. [/b]

What does that mean? You guys push the car yourselves???

<!--QuoteBegin-joel ewing

C'mon guys.......never forget that there are folks out there paralyzed from the neck down that see us chasers on television, and would give ANYTHING to be out with us for even an hour. Quit whining!!

Using your own words with my analogy, the chasers who have limited funds are the paralyzed ones. You don't think it kills us to sit and listen to all the stories of South Dakota madness well into June and July, while we are back at our jobs working our butts off towards the next season? Don't tell me to stop whining, I eat plenty of crow every year from missing major events up north. Not because I'm not willing to "work" for it either.

Originally posted by Jeff Lawson
Ridging happens.

Nothing to add here... but that would make a great bumpersticker.

Plus that made my sig line....

EDIT: Dang it... Late. I didn't see Darren's post that said the same thing... :lol:

I agree with Shane. When I talk about cancellation, it is merely because I am trying to save up to potentially purchase a house in the next six to twelve months, combined with the possibility that I may need to move to a new city in the next year, and I have to deal with the reality of my fiscal situation. There are certain luxuries that those of us well outside the plains just do not have.

Originally posted by Shane Adams+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shane Adams)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-joel ewing
My chase partner and cousin Doren and I work our butts off driving where need be.

What does that mean? You guys push the car yourselves???

[/b]

It means we're not easily discouraged. And suggest that others not be discouraged either.

It means that when you make plans to fly in from either coast (or another continent), it's an expensive commitment. Death Ridge or no, you take what you get and make the most of it. Year over year persistence usually pays off.

Flying into a "Death Ridge" is an expensive disappointment. Especially when your dates are locked. But I'd rather spend a week working the fringes than spending a week back home at the office.

The models don't look good. But models change. The folks here who are expressing concern – like me – have made expensive commitments and are locked in. The game isn't over yet. For me it hasn't happened yet. And I'm looking forward to making the most of what I get this year. Even if it's a bust.

db

Whoa...Shane....easy buddy. I can hear your frustration. Yeah, I took it for granted that most everybody who chases can afford to go where need be. My bad.
And no.....we don't push the car. When I say we work at it, I mean that we'll blaze from the Tex. panhandle to southeast Montana straight if we feel conditions warrent it. Not everybody is willing to do that....even they have the bucks to afford it. Also...we will go out on days that are very marginal. Even do the long distance thing for a marginal target. From the time my plane lands until it flys me back home again..I'm out here to chase.
Last year I spent five days under blue skies in a motel in Amarillo....racking up motel, restaurant and laundry fees every day. Nothing happening anywhere in the alley...and not a damn thing to do in Amarillo. Believe me.....I understand the frustration.

My chaser vacation starts Wednesday through Memorial Day.

After reading the Medium Range Forecast Discussion,

http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/text/nce...cep/FXUS02.KWBC

one can't help but be a little disappointed.... However, I plan to make the most of it. I will chase anything from the Canadian border South to the Rio Grande if I have to. There is bound to be something..and I find even garden variety storms a real treat out in the Plains.

I have had previous Death Ridges to deal with before so I always makes plans on how to stay busy and entertained despite the weather.

This year, will be doing all tent camping and will have a girl friend and beagle in tow to make things interesting! :wink:

When I say we work at it, I mean that we'll blaze from the Tex. panhandle to southeast Montana straight if we feel conditions warrent it. Not everybody is willing to do that....even they have the bucks to afford it. Also...we will go out on days that are very marginal. Even do the long distance thing for a marginal target

That I can understand. Back in 2000, I had a gas card but nothing else; we chased days on end in Iowa and the Dakotas with nothing, and clear-sky busted almost everyday. Why? Becasue we had the ways and means. Later that year, we left Norman at 1am headed to South Dakota with nothing but an impromptu forecast made in the wee hours of the night by a way inexperienced forecaster (me at the time). We made it to South Dakota and called our nowcaster, who informed us we'd have to go up into North Dakota to have a shot at tornadoes. We did, and missed the tornadoes by 45 minutes after 12 hours of driving. It happens. But at least we tried.

Nothing steams me up more than people who have the ways and means, and just sit at home on marginal days because the forecast isn't up to their standards. But to each their own I guess.

I can see both views on this. One, waiting all year to make it to the Plains for a long-range (Out of range, in my opinion) bustola in the making. Simply said, nothing in the long range has ever been accurately placed, and to say even more,days 1-3 weren't either. One must keep being optimistic, and take what you get, and be happy you are actually in the hunt, even if it means seeing nothing but multi-cellular poo. Today is May 15th, and this "ridge" everyone is talking about could or could not damper things. But hey, you guys are on vacation!! If nothing else, you get to be on the road, seeing American culture diversity at it's finest, from one little town to the next metro. Most everyone on here is optmistic, and should be. We are storm chasers/fanatics, that all dream of that perfect chase. Just remain positive, because you are entering the ever-so-changing weather of the Plains in its prime. It is hard for us poor folk to afford the time, the driving, the equipment/technologies that go with this hobby. Busts are going to happen, it's just the way things happen. I hope all of you guys catch that monster we have all been waiting for! Middle of May, and I'm still pumped, ridges or not!!!! Take care all,

Dick

If we still have a death-ridge in the forecast in early-mid June i'll start to worry. Until then, im throwing the mid-long range models to the dogs for the inconsistency so far this year. Honestly, im not concerned at all.

C'mon guys.......never forget that there are folks out there paralyzed from the neck down that see us chasers on television, and would give ANYTHING to be out with us for even an hour.
|

Amen brother Joel...well stated. I am over it. No matter what is up during my time on the plains, I will make a good time of it. Hiking in Palo Duro Canyon, spelunking in the Carlsbad caverns, or renting a quad in the Little Sahara in OK... I'll be ok! Thanks for the positive vibes fellow storm chasers!

While I was at my business earlier today, I had a little time to mull over the stormtrack feedback I received about how a lot of you guys who are just kinda getting started as far as careers go don't have a lot of dough to be chasing on a whim. It's got to be planned out distance wise...and everything else that figures into it....gas expenses, time away from home, time off from work...getting back to work before the boss or bride is P.O'd...etc. etc. Man.....I just flat out forgot about those days. Which is not all that surprising, as most of my money back then went to weed, whiskey and women. I'm the type of guy who ponders stuff alot. And it did my mind and heart good to think back to those days for awhile today...(I'm chasing 51). And since I've pondered it...I appreciate you guys (how do you guys say it nowdays...."checking" me on my comments. One thing I'll say about myself........my ego has been trashed so many times that I've got no problem admitting when I'm wrong about something.
And no "buts"....but guys...don't get too tweaked over this dumb ridge if it happens. Trust me......there will be more tornadic storms within stabbing distance for you all before this season is over. Geez man.......personally I think that all this season is...is late. Everything is just backed up timewise. A constipated wx. pattern. As soon as that gulf opens up and spits up the juice all bets are off....and we can get rockin' again. It'll happen. Fellas....it's only May frickkiin' 15th. Can anybody say...."Labor day weekend??"

Back