Daylight Savings Time starts March 11th this year!

Well we might not get that extra hour of heating, but it sure is nice to be able to watch the storms for a longer time during the daylight. So whatever is the case, there's always the extra hour you get to view the thing.

Isn't that "extra hour of heating" synonymous with the ability to "watch the storms for a longer time during the daylight?"

I'm assuming from your last post that this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Yes?

The tone of a discourse is SO hard to distinguish over the internet. LOL

Gabe

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't that "extra hour of heating" synonymous with the ability to "watch the storms for a longer time during the daylight?"

I'm assuming from your last post that this was meant to be tongue-in-cheek. Yes?

The tone of a discourse is SO hard to distinguish over the internet. LOL

Gabe

Yeah I figure most are just having fun with the topic when they say the false stuff about the "extra" hour. *Most* I always wonder how long it will then take someone to explain it all, for everyone that is kidding around. But to get it to happen one has to say something that sounds like they could be serious. I knew the extra hour of heating had been hammered so I went with being able to see it longer lol. I'm just being all around stupid and would probably fall for my own "trap" if someone else had said the same thing first and I thought they were being serious.

I'm still lost. The supercells last an extra don't they?

Not in Kansas. I think you have to be at least as far south as Oklahoma for there to be any effect. It has something to do with a higher angle to the sun down there.

Ok I am so freaking confused here. Who the hell is really being serious here lol?

Damn OU Grad students always have to make us all look like jackasses.

Jeff, Gabe, I will see you guys in Shamrock / Ardmore / Blackwell this spring (I hope at least)… lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, DST means an hour less of darkness in the evening for people to sit at their computers and write complicated explanations of the relationship/non-relationship between sunlight hours and tornadoes, definitions of "real" chasers, and flame messages when they can't figure out who is serious and who is not. :confused:

I think I have seen some version of this thread every year since I signed up for WX-Chase back in 1996 or 1997. Don't worry, everyone, the hour less of evening darkness next month will help bring it to an end. ;)

John. lol. Can you tell we all just need to freaking chase. lol

Ok. So this got me thinking, why and when did they start this DST?
I Googled and found several things including this I found interesting. It should not be any surprise that the whole thing started because of money. Makes sense though..

You guys forgot that the sun will now rise later as well, so we still lose an hour of heating and it works out the same. I'd sure like to see what happens when the government decides to switch us to the 24-hour clock - 24 hours of heating, oh boy!

On a serious note, this thread is so full of sarcasm that it's funny - keep it up chasers, non-chasers, and those who like to snipe in between -- I'll be sure to tune in later for more laughs. LOL

I remember one year on WXCHASE when someone posted the "extra hour of heating" thing and someone corrected them and a long fight broke out because that person truly believed when the time changed the day became one hour longer and had one extra hour of heating.

I think we sould all switch to Zulu. If that happens we will never have to have another thread like this. Just think we will have more time to spend talking about important topics like light bars on chase vehicles.:lol:

I think I have seen some version of this thread every year since I signed up for WX-Chase back in 1996 or 1997.

As I recall it started in the sci.geo.??? newsgroup in the late-80's or early 90's... I do remember the BIG wx-chase fight. Glad we got this one out of the system before "real" chasing starts ;>

LOL -- I'm confused as well. My sarcasm-o-meter may be running low on batteries, though I was still able to discern the Mike H didn't actually think we got an extra of storm-viewing light... Unfortunately, you just KNOW that SOMEONE actually thinks we get an extra hour of heating or we get an extra hour of daylight to view the storms (like the storms automatically start initiating with one less hour of heating come DST, equivocal to initiation moving forward one hour relative to UTC). Though most comments are in jest, I know someone somewhere thinks differently LOL

wow. An extra hour of heating. I'm sure with the earlier onset I am going to have a MUCH lower heating bill....lets see....save about a dollar a day...ooo...yes, thats great.... ;) ;)

Let's just move the whole thing to YEAR ROUND daylight saving time. That way, we can ALL save money because we all are getting up a little later and going to bed a little later. Oh yes, this is genius. ;)

Sarcasm-O-Meter: 8

Actually there have been proposals to do an all year DST (basically stop switching in the fall.)

Actually there have been proposals to do an all year DST (basically stop switching in the fall.)

So we'd have 25 hour days? They should just do that and do us all a favor.

Back