DATA IN THE FIELD OPTIONS. GOOD OR BAD?

DO YOU LIKE THE IDEA OF XM TYPE SYSTEMS TO GET DATA?

• Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shadowchaser7

I have been looking into getting the XM Baron system myself soon. I like the idea of being able to use the antenna in order to get XM radio as well. If it works as well as XM radio it should be nice to have. I am writing this maybe in just for venting a bit. I have noticed many negatice responses towards posts saying that using these type data gathering systems reduces our chasing instincts. On the contrary. I think it increases our chasing instincts. I do not intend to rely solely on the system i use to obtain data. If I were going to do that id just sit at home & use the free net to armchair chase storms. These data systems just give us the chance to see storms in new perspectives that our eyes cant see. I cant see 50,000 ft above the surface & peer at a storm from the heavens. I cant use my superman x-ray vision & scan a storm. These devices give us the chance to see storms in new & exciting ways & in turn help us to better understand them.
All in all my opinion is THE MORE INFO YOU CAN GET ON A STORM THE BETTER!
Whats your OPINION?

My opinion is that while the XM graphical technology has great potential, the wxworx system seems to fall short in the radar resolution department ...so short that the smoothing they use really hurts my ability to understand what I am seeing....I like to look at boundaries as well on radar ....I wonder what the smoothing routine they use does to things like undular bores/gravity waves and outflow fine-lines? The price is also very expensive considering the loss of resolution when compared to other internet sources. I'll stick to cell phone for now and see how things play out ....maybe next year someone else will come out with a better display for less money.

..Gene..

I agree with Gene on a number of points. it is expensive as is any new technology. The prices will come down over the next few years just like cell phones, DVD, and digital cameras have. I hope they continuie to work to better the Radar features. One of my chase partners (who has money to burn) has already ordered the XM system. We will be trying it out this season and i will post results of our trials. When he isnt out here in the plains I will still be using the old cell phone for my data. The feature I like best about the XM is it is like cable internet. it is always connected and fast. I do wonder if we will experience some "rain fade" when we are in heavy precip. I wouldnt mind them in a few years having the ability to get on the net directly using a satelite system like this.

Back