Dash Camera Mount Question...

Here are a few photos that I just took of my mount. I might have found a way to set it up without the windshield. I found a place on the dashboard that looks like it might work ok, but I'm a little leery. The indentation in the dash seems like it was made for the suction cup because it fits perfectly. If only there was a way to make the surface smoother for better suction. The other 2 photos are on the side window.

img2563q.jpg

img2575j.jpg

img2576n.jpg

Jason, this idea might help. If you can find a small square of plexiglass, cut it to fit inside the dash indentation. It can then be secured w/ hook and loop, double sided mounting tape or the like in all four corners and one in the middle. Then you would have a nice, smooth surface for the suction cup to mount. I got this idea as I received a tom tom for christmas. Enclosed was a round 'plate' that could be stuck to the dash or somewhere to allow the suction cup to mount if the windshield area doesn't work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys need this mount. It's great - very stable. The difference between it and the one Jason has is it has one more joint in it giving it a little more extension. Makes it MUCH easier to work with your windshield angle.
Been using one this season and have had zero issues.
If you call in to order one, make sure to mention ChaserTV sent you. Never know, you might get a discount.

My TOMTOM came with a plate that would stick to the dash and you mount the suction cup to that.

Dont know where you could find one, but that would work perfectly!

You guys need this mount. It's great - very stable. The difference between it and the one Jason has is it has one more joint in it giving it a little more extension. Makes it MUCH easier to work with your windshield angle.
Been using one this season and have had zero issues.
If you call in to order one, make sure to mention ChaserTV sent you. Never know, you might get a discount.

How hard is it to remove the camera from that mount?

Is there a "quick" disconnect?

No, the bracket and head is Manfrotto but it's still a screw on. That said, it's a dial screw so it's a matter of turning the dial three times and the camera is off. It's too much of a hassle but not as easy as a quick-release.

Steve, I have this same vacuum mount but I'm having problems. Are you able to use this on your windshield with a video camera? I have a rather small vid camera, but I can't find the right angle on the windshield. Mounting on side windows is no problem, but the angle of the windshield is giving me fits. Any help is appreciated.

To be honest Jason, I have only had it suctioned to the dash and side glass with zero problems. I will try the windshield tomorrow. Sorry I couldnt help but you may have it figured it out anyway.

I will give a vote to the filmtools gripper. It is great! I have used it a few times so far and no problems. It took a few minutes to figure out the proper arm positions, but after that it is super easy and rock solid.

Ric, does that quick release move around at all? I have one and there is a little bit of a gap where it fits into the base, and it can get jostled a bit with bumps in the road.

I bought several sets of these so I could keep a 'shoe' on each camera and it's mate on every mount and tripod I have. I had one set that seemed a little loose but I took a small square of paper, folded it over the shoe and it locked in place. It was just enough to fill up any gaps and still allow for quick installation and release.

Searching I was unable to track anything down, but has anyone found a better built Quick Release option? I'd like to get the filmtools mount (or something of similar or better quality) but it must have a QR option, and I'm not sure I trust that "Simaproducts" one...

I love my mount I got from FilmTools. Can move it all over the place and the suction is amazing even on rough roads it doesn't fall off. It has the red line to indicate if it is starting to lose suction. I just pump it a couple times and it is good.

I mount my HV20 on it and it holds fine.

Yea, I'm going to have to get to work on a good mounting system for my Xterra. When I had my Frontier, I bolted a monopod with a quick release head next to the dashboard. It was a rock solid system, but I don't want to do any drilling to my Xterra's floorboard.

Back