Dash Camera Mount Question...

Hey gang,

Well, after a season of using a decidedly low tech method of mounting my Panasonic GS-320 to my dash (which consisted of Velcro strips on the bottom of my video camera and on my dashboard - classy, I know, but it worked fairly well), I've decided to bite the bullet and get an actual dash/windshield mount for my camera. I jumped on Ebay, and am looking at the following mounts:

RAM Suction Mount ($46 with shipping)
moz-screenshot.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Windshield-Suction-Camera-Camcorder-Mount-by-RAM_W0QQitemZ360138355647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360138355647&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50

Panavise 809 CCTV Camera Window Mount ($25 with shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-PanaVise-CCTV-Camera-Car-Window-Mount_W0QQitemZ110367294685QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPDA_Accessories?hash=item110367294685&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

And finally this little off brand model ($16 with shipping)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Suction-Mount-Tripod-Holder-for-Car-Window-Camera-New_W0QQitemZ310134120032QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item310134120032&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I'm on a pretty tight budget (living off student loans sucks) so I'm giving serious thought to the little off brand one. It looks solidly built and though it is not as fancy or has as many capabilities as the Panavise or the RAM mount, it should get the job done. But at the same time, I'm having the thought that it might be better to spend a little more money on the Panavise or RAM mount and have something that will serve me better and last me longer.

I'm looking to buy tonight and do express shipping so I can have the mount in time for the chase late next week, so if anybody currently has or has had any of these mounts in the past and would like to share their experiences with and the pros/cons of these mounts ASAP, I would greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks!:)

Hey gang,

Well, after a season of using a decidedly low tech method of mounting my Panasonic GS-320 to my dash (which consisted of Velcro strips on the bottom of my video camera and on my dashboard - classy, I know, but it worked fairly well), I've decided to bite the bullet and get an actual dash/windshield mount for my camera. I jumped on Ebay, and am looking at the following mounts:

RAM Suction Mount ($46 with shipping)
moz-screenshot.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Car-Windshield-Suction-Camera-Camcorder-Mount-by-RAM_W0QQitemZ360138355647QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item360138355647&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A570|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50
I've got the Ram mount and it works great. In fact, I think it's even cheaper from the Ram website than that eBay listing. Very easy to put together and I never worry about it falling off the windshield...

If those are your ONLY options, get the RAM Mount. The CCTV mount will not work, unless you have a top mounted camera. I bought it, then had to return it, cause it didnt work. I bought the filmtools suction cup mount for $99, but it is amazing!

Hi, Scott

We're going chasing in three weeks time and would like to know how much weight your ram mount can hold. We can't find specs any where.

Thanks

Kai-Asle (Chase Team Denmark)

Hi, Scott

We're going chasing in three weeks time and would like to know how much weight your ram mount can hold. We can't find specs any where.

Thanks

Kai-Asle (Chase Team Denmark)
Well, that's a good question. It got delivered in three separate parts that you put together and it doesn't really specify any specific weight limit. I will say this though, the suction cup that actually sticks to the windshield is pretty high quality and "locks" down, not one where you just lick it and pray it stays. I use it with a Canon mini DV camcorder and have no problems. Hope that helps...Have a great chase this season, and see you out there...:)

I own the ram mount but use it for a GPS unit; while it works well for that there is NO way I would trust mounting an expensive camera on it at all. If I was going to go to a windshield mount it would need to have a proper vacuum mount on it; the Filmtools mount would fit the bill nicely. Those units have an indicator that show you how much suction is actually holding on so that you have ample warning.

Best to spend a few extra bux now to avoid expensive repairs later IMO.

I'll second the Filmtools products. I use the Gripper, and it holds my heavier camera too.

filmtools-in-car-windshield-camera-mount-gripper-116-xl.html

I would just recommend that you consult your mfg. manual and check the exact weight of your camera and compare that to the specifications of the mount that you choose to order. Having a mount with a weight load that exceeds what the mount is designed to handle is a recipe for an expensive disaster.

I can move the filmtools mount around and point it at anything I want pretty easily. There's a lever to adjust the tightness and allows you to move it around.

Are there mounts that drill into the dash? I've been looking around and it seems like the suction mounts are about the only ones I can find. I don't mind sinking a few screws into the dash and it seems like it would be the cheaper and sturdier option. How about a method to mount an existing tripod head to the dash?

Hi, Scott and the rest of you

Thanks a lot for your answer. We will take your comments into consideration.

For the fourth year in a row we will be teaming up with Florida based chase team Warmsector. Hope to see some of you out there.

Kai-Asle

This is the one that I use. http://www.powrgrip.com/cgi-bin/powrgrip/buycleat.html?vacuummounts=1 It also says it has a load capacity of 10 pounds as well. This is my first season chasing with it and I am very pleased. It also has the indicator to let you know that it is losing it suction too. Very strong vacuum mount as well

Steve, I have this same vacuum mount but I'm having problems. Are you able to use this on your windshield with a video camera? I have a rather small vid camera, but I can't find the right angle on the windshield. Mounting on side windows is no problem, but the angle of the windshield is giving me fits. Any help is appreciated.

Can you post some pics of your setups? That might give some people some ideas. I think I've got an idea for a setup combining the PowerGrip suction cup and some RAM parts. I already have the suction cup from a previous mount in my old vehicle, so that one isn't a problem.

Back