DAMAGE SURVEY CONDUCTED FOR MAY 12 2005 : NWS LUBBOCK

I heard about an F4 at the beginning. However, that was the borderline of an F3 I believe... :shock:

5. 840 PM TO 850 PM...CROSBY COUNTY...RALLS. A STRONG TORNADO DEVELOPED APPROXIMATELY 5 MILES TO THE SOUTHWEST OF RALLS AROUND 840 PM AND TRACKED THREE MILES TO THE NORTHEAST. ALONG THE PATH OF THIS TORNADO...A RESIDENCE WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED WITH DEBRIS ENTIRELY REMOVED FROM THE FOUNDATION. THE MAJORITY OF THE DEBRIS WAS BLOWN TO THE NORTHEAST APPROXIMATELY 10 TO 30 FEET FROM THE FOUNDATION...WITH OTHER RELATED DEBRIS DISPERSED OVER A MILE AWAY. TWO PICKUP TRUCKS WERE LIFTED AND DEPOSITED UPSIDE DOWN 5 TO 30 FEET FROM FORMER LOCATIONS. TREES WERE MUD-SPLATTERED AND STRIPPED OF BARK WITH LARGE BRANCHES COMPLETELY TORN OFF TRUNKS. CENTER PIVOT IRRIGATION SYSTEMS WERE EITHER BLOWN OVER OR TWISTED IN SURROUNDING FIELDS...HOWEVER SOME WERE LEFT UNSCATHED TO THE NORTHEAST OF THIS TORNADO. F-SCALE INTENSITY...F3.

:wink:

Myself and possibly Graham (he's busy moving to a new place) will have lots of video grabs of the multiple tornadoes as well as video etc about this event posted up in the coming days. We were on this storm from the time it started dropping the monster hail just SE of Lubbock and saw multiple tornadoes, at some points there were at least 2 on the ground at the same time, both LARGE. We were covering this live in the field for NewsChannel 11 as they did continuous coverage until the storm cleared the Ralls area. We were less than half a mile away at one point.

WHAT A STORM! I grew up out here and I have to say that is one of the bestt storms I have ever chased out here. I would give a weeks pay to have had it happen 2 hours earlier in daylight.

We initially thought the only victims were the power company and crops, but as the night wore on and daylight rose, the truth came out and unfortunately, one grandfather lost his house....for the SECOND time in his life in almost the same location to a tornado.

Again. lots of pics and video coming, I just got home after being gone since Tuesday and am BEAT!

Looks like they are counting the two tornadoes near South Plains as one, I'm sure they will correct this as there must have ben 50 video cameras on these tornadoes. Also, there were multiple dust whirl/landspouty tornadoes northeast of Plainview during the 5:41-5:46pm time frame. I've reviewed my video extensively and have concluded that we observed three seperate tornadoes during this time. All of them were debris whirls underneath the rotating base, two of which had the distinctive "tube" of debris in the center of the dust cloud.

A RESIDENCE WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED WITH DEBRIS ENTIRELY REMOVED FROM THE FOUNDATION. THE MAJORITY OF THE DEBRIS WAS BLOWN TO THE NORTHEAST APPROXIMATELY 10 TO 30 FEET FROM THE FOUNDATION...WITH OTHER RELATED DEBRIS DISPERSED OVER A MILE AWAY.
That sounds a lot worse than F3, unless the house was poorly anchored.

Originally posted by Thomas Loades
A RESIDENCE WAS COMPLETELY DESTROYED WITH DEBRIS ENTIRELY REMOVED FROM THE FOUNDATION. THE MAJORITY OF THE DEBRIS WAS BLOWN TO THE NORTHEAST APPROXIMATELY 10 TO 30 FEET FROM THE FOUNDATION...WITH OTHER RELATED DEBRIS DISPERSED OVER A MILE AWAY.
That sounds a lot worse than F3, unless the house was poorly anchored.

We viewed this site yesterday. It was an old frame, pier and beam type construction, which for the most part, rely on gravity to anchor them to the concrete foundation.

Hey David.....Joel Ewing in Tucson here. BTW......did you or are you going to post photos of (I think) last year's situation when you got caught in tornadic circulation and your vehicle flipped as a result? I've been pulling up your webpage for months hoping that you'd post that, but it's been a month or so since I've done that. I'd love to read and see what you have to offer on that. Thanks

I was on IRC watching the Ralls tornado form up on GRLevel3. Very strong TVS signature (winds in the range of an F3) close to the ground, and we saw the second tornado spin up. Everyone on IRC that night knew Ralls was going to get pounded :p.

I can believe F3 intensity.

Hopefully over the next few days to week I will get a series of frame grabs up, as well as a video clip or two (or three). I also have the entire live coverage we did with the station if anyone is interested in that, I might encode that down in wmv for everyone to watch as that played out live.

Tremendous event! I feel priviledged to not only witness an event, but to get to see TWO strong tornadoes literally within minutes and miles of one another. We were quite excited and then kinda got sick as we realized that this was most certainly going to plow right into Ralls. The second one LITERALLY missed the town by a matter of YARDS!

Here are a couple of stories the station has run:

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=3346165

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=3343386

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=3342349

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=3342388

http://kcbd.com/Global/story.asp?S=3352847
(she got a couple things crossed I told her in that one ;) like I told her about spotter classes, not chaser classes. heh guess I didn't make myself clear. They also didn't get Graham in it because he is off on rock camp, but he was VERY much a part of the chase that day/night and I couldn't have done all we did without him! Philip Flory as well!)

Living out in the area all my live and this is absolutely the BEST storm I have ever chased out here. Would have given ANYTHING to have it happen in the daylight as I am certain the tornados would have visually rivaled Mulvane.

I am going later this week to show the video to the NWS guys. I know we had one brief tornado at the beginning that would have been somewhere to the S or Idalou (which is west of Ralls). Then the wall cloud got absolutely huge and rotated VIOLENTLY and produced multiple spinups for a while and eventually a well formed LARGE tornado, which would have been the one that went on to hit the house and high tension power lines that got the F3 rating.

At the same time this one was going on, another one developed to the east of that one and had various shapes and sizes during it's live. When we were east of it and just a mile south of Ralls, a smaller satellite tornado formed to the SE of the second tornado making a total of 3 on the ground at the same time. We never saw this one hit anything, but it began to rotate around the east side of the secondary main tornado towards us. Keep in mind the original tornado was still on the ground.

So we had to retreat back south again about a mile or so to make sure the satelllite wouldn't hit us and it rotated all the way around to the west side of the second tornado before it appears it was absorbed into the main tornado.

At this point we weren't sure the first one was still on the ground as it appeared to either have dissipated or wrapped in rain. That is until, while still watching #2 we saw the original still there via the BRILLIANT orange, blue and green power flashes which I am certain is when it took down the high tension power lines.

That was the last we saw of the first one but the second continued on until we lost site of it somewhere NW of Ralls where I believe it dissipated. We went into town and to the north side of town where we either got blasted by RFD or the extreme outer winds of what was left of the tornado circulation where we backed off south a bit again and stayed for quite some time.

I have a feeling this will be my highlight storm of the year.

Originally posted by joel ewing
Hey David.....Joel Ewing in Tucson here. BTW......did you or are you going to post photos of (I think) last year's situation when you got caught in tornadic circulation and your vehicle flipped as a result? I've been pulling up your webpage for months hoping that you'd post that, but it's been a month or so since I've done that. I'd love to read and see what you have to offer on that. Thanks

I have almost NO chases from last year up I am so far behind. I have a new design I am going to put up, so I may hold off updating until then. I have a terrible time trying to find time to do everything lately!

Back