Coverting videos

I just have a question about video converting. I have a Sony Digital 8 video camera and it is only about a year old and it takes exellent video...When I go to download the video from my camera to my computer, it downloads it as an .AVI format. I need to figure out a way to convert the video to another format that makes the video smaller and easier to edit. I need to be able to send good quality video to the TV station over email, but the file is too large....

For example, if I take a 5 min video and download it to the PC, the size of the video is 2.6 GB, which is a large file, and hard to send it via email...

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions to helping my problem? Thanks for yalls help.

Brandon you need software to convert one format to another.. for example your current footage to Mpeg2 or better yet to email quicktime or I really like Windows media player files..

I use Vegas video to do this.. but there may be some free waqre.. im sure soemone will soon chime in...

I just have a question about video converting. I have a Sony Digital 8 video camera and it is only about a year old and it takes exellent video...When I go to download the video from my camera to my computer, it downloads it as an .AVI format. I need to figure out a way to convert the video to another format that makes the video smaller and easier to edit. I need to be able to send good quality video to the TV station over email, but the file is too large....

For example, if I take a 5 min video and download it to the PC, the size of the video is 2.6 GB, which is a large file, and hard to send it via email...

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or suggestions to helping my problem? Thanks for yalls help.

what kind of software do you use to capture and edit your video?
Most capture/editing software offer the possibility to convert your video to another format.

This might help...
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...65a-bba9-b2f1182cdf24&DisplayLang=en#Overview

This tool will allow you to capture .wmv files and adjust your resolution size, bitrate, etc. Might help you compress some of those larger files while keeping the bitrate higher to maintain quality.

Also, you might try this forum, http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/index.php, which offers a wealth of video production information, from capturing to new cameras, post-production, etc. Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back