Core-Punch Horror Stories

Must be because he doesn't chase in his car....LOL. :) Last year I got a new car and took it chasing once. Thankfully it was a bust day and nothing happened to it. I was never so happy to bust in all my life, but I had to go.

Kanani

That's eerie!

I don't have many horror stories exactly. Nothing too terrible has happened yet(as I die in 2005 doing it).

I never even like joking like that...I had a rather graphic dream not long back of several chasers being killed and the media went into a frenzy..including even Fox News that ran with it big time....Was that a warning, hopefully just paranoia...but it does bring up some concerns... like a certain storm chase tour company of whom I will not mention here...going OVER 80mph with a van load of people, on freshly paved, smooth, rain slick highways just to get to where the action is...

I'm afraid, it will take just one time that a chaser or chasers will be either seriously injured or killed as a direct result from poor judgement, and probably it will be due to something that could have been easily avoided, like excessive speed, standing in the middle of some highway transfixed on some wallcloud, only to be walloped by another car, or even worse, trying to get that "ultimate up close and personal video"...Even though we're already dealing with a dangerous hobby (my insurance man equivocates this with bullriding...yeehaw!!) the risks involved can be negated by using some good common sense....I pray that 2005, we'll ALL stay alive.

Rocky&family

Here is my horror story..... It was my first year chasing and I decided one day (I am bad with the dates) to go chasing with only one of my chase partners. Jay was at work and couldn't get off early enough to go so Bill and I headed out. We headed down towards Lubbock and caught up to a storm already in progress. It died and by that time Jay had caught up to us so I was following him to our next target. There was a monster freakin core on this storm and we were doing a pretty good job of staying ahead of it. Unfortunately we decidied to take a road that went north for about a mile. :( Big mistake. The storm was moving faster than we could and suddenly we were being pelted with softball sized hail. Jay was ahead of me and he started yelling on the radio to turn around as the hail was exploding on the road ahead of us. We got turned around and out of it, when the road turned back to the right and the core caught us again. This was the first time I had driven in severe weather and I swore the windshield was going to go. When the core finally passed us we pulled over and I was shaking. Jay thought it would be funny to record me calling my then boyfriend to tell him I had totaled his Jeep. Oops.... :oops: The cool thing about being in two vehicles that day was we were able to get two different views of the same thing. Unfortunately Bill will never be able to sell his video.......I said some things that I didn't know I knew. LOL. :D

Kanani

Lost my windshield, bug deflector and lightbar on that one. Thanks for reminding me of that one. :oops:

I said a few things on tape also but in the first part of the video after we outran the hail the first time I was laughing so hard I couldnt say much but wow.

Just remember Kanani... Babtism by fire!! :wink:

I'll chime in with my own story here. It's not really a core punch, but the core formed right over me and i had to punch OUT of it, not THROUGH it.

The date was June 26th, 2004. I live in a small town called Parker, and the city was celebrating it's 125th Anniversary. Carnival, street dance, all the good stuff. Anyways, just like every day I don't work, I sat looking at models, when it hit me. It's going to storm, and by God did it storm. The National Weather Service had said to expect a "20% chance of precipitation". Well, I was bored and I hate Parker, so I decided I'd go sit west of town and watch the storms form and swing through. I'm watching from CU field all the way to major storm. I was watching this one cloud that seemed to be out-growing the other few that had towers. I watched it start rain, shoot off some lightning, and I took some photos. I was doing lightning photography when I looked on the southwest edge and noticed the Rain Free Base. No rotation, no lowering. Resumed lightening photos. About 10 minutes pass, and I peek around. Rain Free Base still there, grew a little bit, small lowering in the center. No rotation, but the lowering was getting larger. This is getting interesting. I called my father, the local fire chief, and informed him of the situation. I also called Todd Heintkamp, NWS Warning Coordinator, and Tom Gillespie, Turner County Emergency Manager, (both good friends of mine) and talked about the situation. Todd said that they were watching the cell, but the radar showed low-level rotation, but very isolated and weak. Tom said he was going to position himself south of my location (he's as obsessed with storms as I am). So, I get off the phone, and by this time the Rain Free Base with very little rotation is right over me. It's starting to get a little breezy (by breezy I mean South Dakota breezy, 30-40 mph). This is not good, I say to myself. I look up and, lo and behold, a rather interesting funnel. A few curse words come out as I dash back to my car, grab the camera, and snap a shot of the funnel straight up. It hadn't touched down yet. The dumbest 3 seconds of my life. I hopped in my car and sped (and boy do i mean sped) south away from the east-northeast moving storm. Looked in the rear view mirror and was stupified by a huge dust cloud where I was just sitting not 15 seconds earlier. Dialed up 911, dialed up my father, dialed up Tom, and dialed up Todd. Got away, and sat with the Turner County Sheriff and 2 of his deputies south of town watching as one tornado and several dust swirls ripped through the county taking trees with.

Now, my story isn't the scary part. The scary part is this: When I called my dad and told him (and I quote) "Jesus Christ dad, I'm looking at another tornado coming towards town." "You gotta be sh*tting me. Serious?" "Serious as cancer." "Ok, get the hell out of there. Call me with any more updates." I was only two miles out of town, so I could hear the sirens. Now, the scary part is that this occurred in the middle of the demolition derby at the fairgrounds. That's about 2,000 people in an open grandstand build in the 1950's. All sheet metal. My mom was there, and she said they were crowded in the bathrooms litterally cheek to cheek. And there were still approximately 1,500 people outside running for any cover.

The tornado dissapated before it got to town, but still. That made me truly scared for the first time during a chase.

I talked to Todd again after the storm, and he said that they new it was going to storm, but he had talked to the SPC and they agreed that there wasn't one thing that would even remotely make them think that it was going to get that bad. Even during the warning, radar didn't indicate strong enough rotation, so I sent him my pics and he was amazed that one can form that quick and have such little rotation. Oh, and that was the first time I was the cause of a tornado warning! :)

May 4, 2003. After a couple years of relative chase inactivity I could not resist a short drive from Lincoln, NE to a supercell just north of town. I stayed just south of the meso proceeding eastbound on U.S. 6 toward Omaha. My normally superior navigation skills were sloppy on this day as I thought I was travelling due east. Instead I was moving northeast and simply could not resist getting up close and personal with the beast. I ended up driving under what would later become the hook. I parked and watched in awe. Then the hook slapped me silly with hail which covered the highway, sized ranging from dimes to ping-pong balls. This caught me off guard as I just drove through a precip free area. Lucky for me the monster baseball to softball sixed stuff hit to my east... A rotating curtain of rain was visibile about a half mile to my north, possibly the occlusion which coincided well with a tornado report a few miles northwest. Worst part was I was on a road where the southern option ended in a cul-de-sac.

A couple lessons learned or reitterated that day:
Plan ahead.
Know your road options
Have that escape route
Situation awareness in rapidly changing conditions.

My Story

It was May 30, 1998. Mark Hill and I were in southern Minnesota, somewhere west of Mankato. We didn't have to punch or chase anything, as the core of the storm was moving right at us at about 70mph. About 90 minutes earlier, this line had put down the F4 that had snockered Spencer, SD.

Well, it was now 10pm, winds blowing a good 70mph, and the rain is coming down in hailstone sized drops (we were amazed that there was no hail but anyhow), and lightning was flashing all around.

We are parked on a gravel road just the other side of a railroad embankment off the main highway trying to figure out what the hell to do next, when lightning flashes almost right overhead, and there is a bell shaped funnel cloud hanging just about over the hood of the Suburban.

Neither of us wet our pants, but it was raining real hard so God only knows what Mark did vs what happened to me. Seriously though, it was over so fast that we didn't even have time to think about the implications of "what if it had been touching down over the hood of the Suburban?"

:roll:

Back