Colby Kansas/Denver seeking input

bill mudd

EF4
this is a convient location for me to base my season operations for chasing

question: will this location be any good may15 to june 1? or am I too far west? I really need to stay as far west as possible.

question: any good known camp sites?
thanks

You're actually in a pretty good spot in Colby during this period; climatological frequencies are a bit higher S of you in TX panhandle, but increase also in NE Colorado during this period according to the following graphic:http://www.nssl.noaa.gov/hazard/tanim/torw8099.html

I wouldn't necessarily set up in Denver, as you'll probably be dealing with long lead times to get to the action to the south and east, but if your other business takes you to Denver, Colby would be good sitting on I-70, and you also have at least a U.S. Hwy (83) to get you to the panhandle region.

I guess if chasing were the one and only pursuit of mine, without another care in the world, I would probably set up on either the west side of Wichita, KS, or the west side of Oklahoma City, OK - both within a few hours of maximum frequency region with good highway links.

Being from Denver, I would have to say eithe rcould be good pending what you're doing. If it were a climatological favorable time for the DCVZ, you could landspout yourself to death from Denver, otherwise, Colby is a bit more centered. That and you can shoot west towards Denver as opposed to hauling east from Denver.

Denver has a bit more to do, though! :wink:

chase vehicle a jeep - base vehicle an rv - I like the fact that there is a lot to do in Denver, but would I be limiting myself by being further west that time of year? or is a couple hundred miles west not really a factor, assuming that chasing doesnt back too much further west of denver?or does it?

I don't really think it a factor... you may have early days, but I've made Salina, KS from Denver by noon/1pm. No biggie for me, but it will prove to be a trek most of the time. Later in the season, its almost a perfect place to base from. And no, you usually don't chase west of I-25.

Originally posted by Tony Laubach
And no, you usually don't chase west of I-25.

Well, not in the Denver area, anyway :D Up in WeldCo, tho, it's certainly possible.

Bill, I took shelter from a squall line under a Sonic ramada on April 6, 2001 in Colby, and the Sonic employees who braved the rain to tell me the sirens were going off and I should come inside also told me that Colby is protected from tornadoes by a buffalo graveyard. I refrained from asking them why they had a siren in that case, but thought you might like to know that your RV is apprently safe if parked in Colby :)

Originally posted by Joe Zemek+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Joe Zemek)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Tony Laubach
And no, you usually don't chase west of I-25.

Well, not in the Denver area, anyway :D Up in WeldCo, tho, it's certainly possible.[/b]

Yep, he's right... Denver you won't chase much west of I-25, but definately north of the metro area, you certainly might.

Originally posted by Mike Johnston

I wouldn't necessarily set up in Denver, as you'll probably be dealing with long lead times to get to the action to the south and east, but if your other business takes you to Denver, Colby would be good sitting on I-70, and you also have at least a U.S. Hwy (83) to get you to the panhandle region.

I tend to agree. Base areas should be better when there is a good road network to work with.

If those are the choices, I'd say Colby, simply because it's furthest east. IMO, Colorado is too far west for a chase base in May, if you're able to travel. Then again, if you're able to travel, why base out of nay one spot? I'd chase the events and then camp out wherever you end up, then drive to the next day's target. Maybe I'm not understanding the situation you'll be in during your chasecation, but it seems odd to me to have the ability to roam and purposely tie yourself down to one general area.

clarification:

I'm towing my chase vehicle (18mpg) - the rv is the base station (8mpg)
I dont have the ability to drive home after each chase because Im coming from Utah. So essentially the rv is my home and I dont want to be any further east than necessary. I am ok with motels as needed, understandibly....
Ive got 2 weeks - May 15 to June 1. (is June 1 to June 15th better?)
I really appreciate your input everyone!!!!

(PS the buffalo graveyard in Colby is one interesting story I wasn't expecting)

I can certainly understand why you wouldn't wanna have to drive the RV anymore than necessary. I always thought such a setup would be perfect for distance chasers coming in for a vacation from a long distance. An RV with a car in tow. Or a base and probe if you will. But in a year with gas prices like they are, I can most definately see why you'd prefer your RV to act more as a stationary home. :wink:

BTW, I'd agree with Wichita, KS as being the best base for this time period. Or of course the OKC area even. But it sounds as if you need to be close to CO for some reason, so that may cancel that out.

Whatever the case, I hope you find the location that best meets your needs.

-George

If you're willing to go about an hour and a half east of Colby, Hays might be a good place. There are some RV parks nearby, one on the south end I think. This would give you immediate access to I-70, and 183 would take you down to southcentral KS from Hays.

Just another suggestion. I think Tony likes the place too :wink:

Tim

Originally posted by Tim Stoecklein+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tim Stoecklein)</div>
Just another suggestion. I think Tony likes the place too :wink: Tim[/b]

I LOVE Hays! I'd live there during my chase season! Much better than Colby, I would say!

<!--QuoteBegin-bill mudd

Ive got 2 weeks - May 15 to June 1. (is June 1 to June 15th better?)

June 1 thru June 15 is MUCH better to base out of Denver for (and I would definately say Denver then)... that's about the time we start to see the daily "summer" convection and you can go chase landspouts during the afternoon and make it back to Denver in time to catch the opening pitch of a Rockies game!

But yeah, in May, I'd definately think being east of Denver would be your best bet, but if you're trying to stay as far west as you can, shave an hour and change and stay in Limon.

As for June 1-June 15, another area to consider would be the I-80/Platte River corridor from North Platte over to here in Grand Island. We get some excellent storms here in early to mid June.

This would also still keep you within 2-6 hours of much of eastern Colorado and would probably allow you to finish your day closer to your base rather than having to drive a substantial distance back west.

But I guess that digresses a bit from the oringinal question. :)

I'd actually have a hard time deciding between the two. The key consideration to me would be where I'd likely end up at the end of the day. I find it much easier to drive 4-6 hours west before the action starts and have a shorter drive back at the conclusion of the day than I do to make a long haul back westward at the end of the day (or the beginning of the next morning as is sometimes the case.) This would probably lead me towards the more eastern option.

Even that don't always work though. On May 22 and 23, 1996 we stubbornly missed two of the best storms that year (the Benkelman, NE LP/tornado and Last Chance, CO) simply because we decided to "base" ourselves in eastern NE. After that fiasco (although on the 22nd we did have the excitement of core punching an HP supercell southeast of Beatrice, NE), I swore off the notion of having a "base" and now keep a sleeping bag in the trunk. :)

Regards,

Mike

Back