Code Use in HAM Radio

THAT is shocking. Coast Guard doesn't even teach code in basic at Cape May? They've ALWAYS used code.. When did this happen?

Originally posted by Paul Stofer
THAT is shocking. Coast Guard doesn't even teach code in basic at Cape May? They've ALWAYS used code.. When did this happen?

Wasn't that long ago I don't think...2, 3 maybe 4 years? I can't remember exactly, getting too old. It hasn't been a long time though.

Hey David,
How are you doing? I can't say that I know for sure what they are going to do with the code, but I just do not believe that they will get rid of it completely. My guess is that they may dump the code requirement for General and keep it for Extra. There is a huge group of Extra's out there who do not want to get rid of it for that level and I agree with them.
We need to get more Generals into the HF world to keep the hobby alive and I sure hope to see more folks try for their top license. It's a great hobby, especially when there aren't any storms to chase.
My wife bought me a new Yaesu Mark-V Field for Christmas so I have been having a blast DXing.
See ya under the SuperCells. 8)

Patrick

BTW, we still use Morse everyday in the airline world to identify navaids.

I agree Patrick. There is a huge group that didn't want to get rid of the Novice class, and yet they did. There was a huge group that didn't want the code dropped from the Technician Class, and yet they did.

From that way that article reads to me, the decision has already been made by the FCC, despite some 8000+ comments I think it was, and it's just a matter of time before they sign it in as fact.

Back