Code Use in HAM Radio

I'm just getting started, and will be writing my level 1 license exam in about three more weeks. I wonder how much of a stretch it would be for me to upgrade by the beginning of May?

Dang......Morse Code! :lol:

Originally posted by John Hudson
I'm just getting started, and will be writing my level 1 license exam in about three more weeks. I wonder how much of a stretch it would be for me to upgrade by the beginning of May?

Dang......Morse Code! :lol:

You're running on old info John. All licenses in Canada now include HF privledges. They have upped the scores though on the exams; I think you need at least 80% to pass. Check the RAC website for all the info you need.

I've always thought HF was a wasted resource that most chasers/hams never utilized like they could. Certainly interested myself.

Should anyone be concerned about learning the Morse code, I can't recommend Nu Morse enough as a learning tool. It can be found at http://www.nu-ware.com/

I used this software and learned the code very easily. It can even generate tests similar to what you will encounter during a real test. Can't tell you what a thrill it was to pass that exam, and no doubt Mu Morse played a large roll in helping me. BTW, I do not know the author, just plugging an outstanding product, and excellent support I might add. :!:

Hi John,

I just double-checked RAC website, and the basic qualification gets you privileges above 30 MHz only. I'll need morse to operate below that.

Looks like we're not going to be able to escape winter without a few days of deep-freeze. That's the Wicked Peg for ya!

Originally posted by John Hudson
I just double-checked RAC website, and the basic qualification gets you privileges above 30 MHz only. I'll need morse to operate below that.

John, I want to avoid a thread-jack here, but that information is no longer valid (they obviously need to update all their information on the site). Read RAC Bulletin 05-013 (2nd item): http://www.rac.ca/news/bulletins.htm

In summary, there's nothing holding you back other than writing your exam and getting on the air.

Tim,
I think meeting on HF is a great idea. I am running a Yaesu FT879D with an ATAS120 as a mobile HF rig with 100W capability. It also gives me the capability of contacting back to Dallas and giving them a heads up easier than VHF/UHF. 40M would be perfect around 10AM most anywhere.
Count me in.

N5PTW

Also, you can get 40 meter capable receivers and listen in on discussions for the day, that might get alot of chasing hams to upgrade.

You can get an MFJ 40 meter sideband rig pretty reasonably.

Originally posted by Paul Stofer
You guys are going to convince me to get my General.. I just need to get the code down and I'll be good.. ;) hehe

FCC gets off their duff, here in a few months you won't even have to bother with learning the code to upgrade any more.

Correct me if im wrong, but I even heard of rumors of the FCC adding another class below technician, and they were grandfathering current technicians to generals? Just a rumor that has been going around.. anyone else hear of this?

Here is he easiest way in the world to learn code.
http://www.cq2k.com/

I learned it and passed the first time in 10 days. I highly reccommend this program if you have the slightest interest in learning code. 5 WPM is easy guys, it just takes going through this software 30minutes twice a day for two weeks and BINGO.

Contrary to what you are hearing, code is not going away. Just my opinion.

According to what I was reading on ARRL, I believe they declined to add the new class, but are going to go ahead and eliminate the morse code requirement.

I would be shocked, because the code is like the history of amateur radio. Code has always been around; however, I could see the FCC dropping the code to gain popularity / get others interested in the hobby who don't want to deal with code. Who knows, i suppose we'll see.. 8)

I thought that too, but reading that article, it's sounds like it's pretty much a done deal aside from the official signing it in to action.

I kinda suspected it was going to come though when the Coast Guard dropped using the code.

Back