Coast Guard Rescues

Anonymous

Video from rescues right now is on Fox and CNN, it is intense to watch, and makes you feel very happy for the existance of the coast guard. I just heard that the CG has rescued about 1200 people so far. I wonder just how many desperate people trapped on roofs they can rescue before time runs out for these people (IE food, water) Does it seem plausable that they can rescue all of these people? It seems from these helicopter rescues that it takes about 3 or 4 or 5 minutes per person to lift to the chopper, plus they have to refuel, and they likely cannot work nearly as efficiently at night.

I don't feel sorry at all for these people that are having to be rescued from their roofs. They were saying on Fox news that the main problem is that these people that are stranded don't have any water. These idiots had plenty of warning before Katrina hit. They were told to evacuate and they chose to stay. If I were dumb enough to ride out a Cat 4-5 hurricane in my house, I would stock up enough supplies to get me through a nuclear war. Yet it is day 2 and some of these people are already out of water. My suggestion to them is to get a cup and start drinking the water that has them trapped on their roof.
On a lighter note, God bless the Coast Gaurd. They are putting their lives at risk to save others.

BTW where are all the donations from foreign countries. When a natural disaster strikes somewhere else in the world the U.S. is always among the first to send aid. I'm not surprised that they aren't returning the favor.

I don't feel sorry at all for these people that are having to be rescued from their roofs. They were saying on Fox news that the main problem is that these people that are stranded don't have any water. These idiots had plenty of warning before Katrina hit. They were told to evacuate and they chose to stay. If I were dumb enough to ride out a Cat 4-5 hurricane in my house, I would stock up enough supplies to get me through a nuclear war. Yet it is day 2 and some of these people are already out of water. My suggestion to them is to get a cup and start drinking the water that has them trapped on their roof.
On a lighter note, God bless the Coast Gaurd. They are putting their lives at risk to save others.

BTW where are all the donations from foreign countries. When a natural disaster strikes somewhere else in the world the U.S. is always among the first to send aid. I'm not surprised that they aren't returning the favor.

Think about your (imperialistic) foreign politics and ask again?

Provocations aside, I feel terribly sorry for all the people out there in that chaos. I hope I could be there helping :(

-anonymous finn-

Guest said...
"Think about your (imperialistic) foreign politics and ask again?"

Politics aren't supposed to be discussed on ST. That being said, I didn't know that the U.S. had expanded its borders since we aquired Hawaii in 1959. If we have and I'm not aware of it, please inform me. If not, then perhaps you shouldn't be throwing the word "imperialistic" around so freely. Is paying 7 times the market price for a barrel of oil imperialism? Is being the largest donor for the tsunami relief imperialism? How about donating more than the rest of the world combined to Africa, is that imperialism? I'm having a hard time understanding what imperialism you are talking about. Get real and think serious.

rdewey I feel sorry for them because they got hit by a hurricane, but I don't feel sorry for them because they are stranded on their roof right now. They issued MANDATORY evacuations. These people were told that the area was going to flood. These warnings were constantly being reissued for days before the hurricane hit and these people chose to ignore them. I don't think feeling this way makes me cold, I think it is just being realistic. I feel bad for everyone that was affected by Katrina, but I don't feel bad for the people that are compounding the problem because they didn't think the warning should apply to them.

rdewey I feel sorry for them because they got hit by a hurricane, but I don't feel sorry for them because they are stranded on their roof right now. They issued MANDATORY evacuations. These people were told that the area was going to flood. These warnings were constantly being reissued for days before the hurricane hit and these people chose to ignore them. I don't think feeling this way makes me cold, I think it is just being realistic. I feel bad for everyone that was affected by Katrina, but I don't feel bad for the people that are compounding the problem because they didn't think the warning should apply to them.

I could totally envision some of those people not wanting to leave their home because it was everything they worked for, everything they loved. Kind of like the "captain going down with the ship" - these people loved their homes and belongings that either A) they didn't want to leave it all for destruction -OR- B) they were in denial. It is common human nature that when something so extreme happens (or is predicted to happen), that your mind simply just can't believe it.

Back