Clovis Rings in the New Year

The new year has just rung in, on Mauritius, and Invent 90S, which yesterday became 06S.NONAME on the NRL site, has now become TS Clovis, with est winds at 50 kt by JTWC, and Severe TS Clovis, with 60 kt (10-min) winds by Meteo-France at Reunion, and is forecast by them to become a TC at the next advisory.

Five hours ago, the center passed very close to the island of Tromelin, little more than a sand spit one square km in area, and only containing an airstrip and weather stattion, which reported on Wunderground sustained easterly winds of 47 kt; this is what it looked like at that time:

20061231.1414.trmm.x.geovis.06SNONAME.35kts-997mb-147S-545E.60pc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Five hours ago, the center passed very close to the island of Tromelin, little more than a sand spit one square km in area, and only containing an airstrip and weather stattion, which reported on Wunderground sustained easterly winds of 47 kt; this is what it looked like at that time:

The RSMC La Reunion advisory said Tromelin Island actually recorded 54kt winds gusting to 70kts justifiying fully the intensity of 60kts at that point. Clovis made landfall in Madagascar earlier today making it the second landfalling storm of the day with TC Isobel crossing the NW Aus coast near Port Hedland.

justifiying fully the intensity of 60kts at that point.

Oh, I agree; that's why I posted the image.:) I never got to see that subsequent advisory (ringing in the New Year instead). But if you have a link to the advisory archive I'd certainly appreciate you posting the info -- for future storms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back