CITY OF NEW ORLEANS THREAD

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Bowman

lets not forget dropping supplies from the air will only make the looters smile and more people will be killed because the animals would be in charge of the goods

Are you arguing that food/water dropped from the air is better than starvation and dehydration? Yes, it certainly isn't the best situation, but I really think it's better than nothing! :shock:

IMO, there should have been far more Nat'l Guard activated last weekend and set in far southwestern LA or eastern TX, ready to move in right when the storm moved out. Get the law enforcement folks in there to control the ground situation, and let them drop food/water from the air.[/b]

all im saying is the people who are dying and starving wont be helped by the airdrops because the gangs and looters will be the ones taking everything.

not to mention dropped food and water in contaminated water, what good is that?

all the helicopters are picking up people that rode out the big one with !/2 a days water

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman

There is still quite a bit of dry land! Take the convention center for example... Dropping food on Tuesday, with Nat'l Guard overlooking the process to ensure that things don't get out of hand. Otherwise good people are turning to lawlessness because they don't have any food/water.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Bowman

There is still quite a bit of dry land! Take the convention center for example... Dropping food on Tuesday, with Nat'l Guard overlooking the process to ensure that things don't get out of hand. Otherwise good people are turning to lawlessness because they don't have any food/water.[/b]

id love to find MSY ATC to see how many planes are flying into the airport.

Originally posted by Kevin Bowman+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kevin Bowman)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Scharfenberg
Aside from the carnage at the convention center, many hospitals, nursing homes, and care centers are reporting people dying at an alarming rate because generators have failed and water is running out. Meanwhile, on the online national guard scanner, people are arguing about who is responsible for ferrying a general between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. We can drop hundreds of paratroopers and big palletes of water and food in Afghanistan and Iraq but we can't get them in time to downtown New Orleans to prevent dehydration. Simply ridiculous, and we MUST hold our elected officials responsible at every level.

yes we can drop big palletes but as someone said in another thread, military cargo planes landing every couple of minutes among commerical planes filled with relief supples does not make good news when you have looters and people walking in water[/b]

So the people are dying because the media isn't showing the airplanes landing with the supplies at airport? :roll:

IMO, all levels of government need to be blamed here. The local government failed so the state should have stepped in; if the state fails, then the federal government should step in; if the state fails, then the federal government steps in. If the federal govt fails, well, I guess we're screwed and everyman for himself.
First, as mentioned elsewhere, the skipping of refugees from Point A to Point B to Points Unknown was/is stupid. Second, not abandoning New Orleans ASAP after the flooding occured was REALLY DUMB. The original (or ONLY, as I see it) plan seemed to want to keep people at the Superdome. The minute the levees broke there should have been an evacuation plan of the city implemented at once. It's this wishy-washy, B.S. attitude I think that is seen at ALL levels and through ALL authorities that is really making people mad. Decisions need to be made and the proper resources need to be there for those actions to be carried out. It hasn't happened and I don't think we will see it happen

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kiel Ortega)</div>
Originally posted by Kevin Bowman@
<!--QuoteBegin-Kevin Scharfenberg

Aside from the carnage at the convention center, many hospitals, nursing homes, and care centers are reporting people dying at an alarming rate because generators have failed and water is running out. Meanwhile, on the online national guard scanner, people are arguing about who is responsible for ferrying a general between Baton Rouge and New Orleans. We can drop hundreds of paratroopers and big palletes of water and food in Afghanistan and Iraq but we can't get them in time to downtown New Orleans to prevent dehydration. Simply ridiculous, and we MUST hold our elected officials responsible at every level.

yes we can drop big palletes but as someone said in another thread, military cargo planes landing every couple of minutes among commerical planes filled with relief supples does not make good news when you have looters and people walking in water

So the people are dying because the media isn't showing the airplanes landing with the supplies at airport? :roll:

IMO, all levels of government need to be blamed here. The local government failed so the state should have stepped in; if the state fails, then the federal government should step in; if the state fails, then the federal government steps in. If the federal govt fails, well, I guess we're screwed and everyman for himself.
First, as mentioned elsewhere, the skipping of refugees from Point A to Point B to Points Unknown was/is stupid. Second, not abandoning New Orleans ASAP after the flooding occured was REALLY DUMB. The original (or ONLY, as I see it) plan seemed to want to keep people at the Superdome. The minute the levees broke there should have been an evacuation plan of the city implemented at once. It's this wishy-washy, B.S. attitude I think that is seen at ALL levels and through ALL authorities that is really making people mad. Decisions need to be made and the proper resources need to be there for those actions to be carried out. It hasn't happened and I don't think we will see it happen[/b]

i never said that but people think there is no help when help keeps flying in all the time

also there are 2 other states devasted as well

Why can't I write on this forum logged in? I registred few days ago but my account is still not activated? :(

I see on CNN people are being brought to the airport as it is a field hospital. They are becoming overwhelmed there but people are being taken out of there by both bus and plane which the reporter presumes will take them to TX.

Families are arriving here in Lubbock now. Apparently, Reese AFB will be turned into a shelter as well.

In my opinion the blame game is useless. There's plenty of blame to go around. Let's face it, we're dealing with the largest, and quite possibly the worst disaster in the history of the United States. The disaster zone stretches from Louisiana to Florida. No amount of planning could have prepared use for a crisis as big as this one. If there's one saving grace from this catastrophe, it's that we'll be better prepared for future calamities that befall the country, IE eruption of Mount Ranier, or The Big One in Los Angeles. It isnt a complete mess anyhow: The national guard is on the ground, they finally got the entire New Orleans police force on the ground, relief supplies are being dropped, and rescues are still happening. I know a lot of people are emotionally upset about this disaster, but throwing blame around isnt going to help any, there's plenty of it to be shared from the local level to the federal level. Just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Kiel Ortega
Second, not abandoning New Orleans ASAP after the flooding occured was REALLY DUMB. The original (or ONLY, as I see it) plan seemed to want to keep people at the Superdome. The minute the levees broke there should have been an evacuation plan of the city implemented at once.
Bingo! There it is, right there. That is the absolute bottom line on exactly why this has turned into a total cluster! The plan they implemented on day one was to provide relief to the city. Quite possibly a good plan too that might have even worked. The problem is, they should have recognized before the end of the day Sunday that it was the absolute WRONG approach and gone to plan B. Had they not wasted two days trying to save the city, they could have had it evacuated by now.

Now that they finally know what they are going to do, I expect it to go as well as can possibly be expected. But it's going to be one hell of a lot harder now that the natives are beyond restless.

From WWLTV.com:

11:29 P.M. - (AP): Col. Henry Whitehorn, chief of the Louisiana State Police, said he heard of numerous instances of New Orleans police officers - many of whom from flooded areas - turning in their badges.

\"They indicated that they had lost everything and didn't feel that it was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their lives,\" Whitehorn said.
http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG...OG.ac3fcea.html

This isn't helping... I understand why some folks feel this way, and I think it's easy to forget that many of the NO police officers have lost everything they own. So, I certainly can't blame the cops that are resigning, but it isn't making things easier for the law enforcement officials who are staying.

Back