Chasing license?

Other folks have pointed out some of the biggest concerns. For me, these come to mind:
- There are probably a miniscule number of times where a legitimate chaser would actually benefit from a license.
- In a real emergency when highway patrol is blocking roads, letting people in on a recreational basis will probably be seen as a bad idea
- The reckless "real" chasers will still probably drive recklessly
- The reckless yahoos will probably never have heard of the licensing program and probably won't chase enough to even get pulled over
- Who would administer and set standards? Chasers are an independent lot, and rarely is there a unified viewpoint on any major issue. The national chase organization debacle from last year kind of drove this point home.

Tim

Chasers are an independent lot, and rarely is there a unified viewpoint on any major issue. The national chase organization debacle from last year kind of drove this point home.
haha! Sorry I missed that! :lol:

Is it still in the archives here?

LMAO! Thanks, Nick!

Just reading Chris' opening post, I can tell it's going to be interesting!

Or, should I say entertaining? :lol:

From a law enforcement perspective it's silly and unenforceable, not to mention probably unconstitutional as well.
Yes, but doesn't that description apply to a large percentage of the laws on the books today? :lol:
Legislators have been known to pass laws with no prior input from those who are charged with enforcing them. :)

Folks this is a good idea that will only go if someone starts it and stays with it. As with any group you have to market it to those that would be members. You will never get everyone to join such a group,and not everyone that joins will stay. If you want it start it and let those that wish it join. I would be in line to join. I also think alot of others would be to.

I always suggested some sort of voluntary certification program, like auto techs have called the ASE http://www.asecert.org/

Taking from that, it's certainly something that isn't required to by an auto-tech, but it is something many of them voluntarily get certified in because it has become widely recognized as someone that has the credentials is serious about their craft, and it's something most autotechs are proud to get.

On the basic level, all that is required to get it is to take a test in the various section of interest and pass it (a test that is required to be retaken at certain intervals, just to make sure your staying up with things) and to provide documentation of X amount of experience.

The benefits is something to display with pride that you showed a willingness to confirm your knowledge and experience and you have something to outwardly show for that. In the case of ASE it can mean a better paying job, which really wouldn't apply to chasing.

But I think something like this, which is totally voluntary and aside from having something that you can show your serious about your craft and that you have put forth some knowledge and experience effort would certainly be of benefit to each other as chaser, when we saw whatever chosen symbol, we would recognize that chaser and would know what he had to accomplish to get that. Over time, other people like spotter groups, nws people, even media would come to recognize it as a standard of excellence for the storm chasers they deal with. It would give new chasers a level of achievment to work towards and once all the guidelines where setup to achieve it, there wouldn't be anyone else trying to control what others are doing, which I think is the biggest fear when something like this is brought up.

It would have to be something held to a higher standard, and accomplished level of achievment and something that those holding it would indicate a level of integrity withing the chasing community.

... and to provide documentation of X amount of experience. ... and accomplished level of achievment ....
Here's where the analogy falls apart (aside: oh no, we're going to have another 80-pager, aren't we?). What is considered achievement? An auto mechanic has a relatively level playing field. Sure there are more cars in urban areas, but there are also more mechanics...most mechanics can find plenty of cars to keep them busy. On the other hand, the same is not true for chasers. While a chaser who lives in Nebraska may be able to drive 45 minutes to see a tornado, a chaser from east of the Mississippi may require 2-3 days of travel to see the same tornado - which often isn't an available option. Over time, the chaser who happens to live in the plains (or who can afford long chase trips) is going to see a lot more than the one who doesn't (unless, of course the eastern chaser makes up tornadoes :roll: ). That doesn't mean the plains chaser is better necessarily, just more advantageously located. So number of tors can't be the defining metric.

How about percent of successful chases? Again, there's a geographic bias. Chasers in California may be so storm deprived that they'll go after any TCu that forms. Does that mean they don't have as high a level of a achievement? Of course not. Plus then we get into the definition of success, which varies for each chaser. And what is a chase? If you drive for 30 min then realize there's nothing going on, does that count? What if you happen to be on the road to granny's when a tornado forms 1/2 mile away? Is that really a chase? Obviously, the percentage of successful chases is a poor metric as well.

Okay, so let's switch away from the meteorological and move to safety. If you've never gotten a speeding ticket while chasing, does that make you a better chaser? No -- you're just lucky you haven't been caught. Have you ever caused an accident while chasing? No -- well the same goes for most of the rest of us (I'd imagine), so that's not saying much for excellence. As important as safety is, it is not an achievement so much as a lack of anything happening (an "unchievement", if you will).

I could rant more about the content of a test, but I've said enough for now. I agree in principle with the idea of a certification ( NOT a license ), but I've yet to be convinced that it would be practically implemented.

Ben

Edited immediately: ...because I can spel gud

Back