Chasing injury and incident data

I had a couple of migraines while chasing..... luckily I wasn't alone on the chase or else there would have been problems! Those knock me on my ass faster than a tornado kick to the face.

I took a small shard of glass to the palm of my left hand on May 29, 2004 near Piedmont, OK. Didn't seek medical attention, just found a grocery store and bought some antiseptic and large band-aids.

Also twisted my ankle once getting out of my car on the side of highway. I have no idea of the date or location. Somewhere in western OK.

Here is the link to the data so far:

http://stormhighway.com/blog/april2309a.shtml

Even though it's debatable that things like car accidents and food poinsoning are chase related, I'd still like to include them in this data set. Doing that would show how weather-related dangers compare to non-weather related dangers.

Thanks for the responses so far! More data would be appreciated!

Information needed

- Type of injury or incident
- How the injury occurred (what was the cause)

- Chasers who have NEVER had an injury or incident

Criteria

For the purposes of this data set, 'injury or incident' refers to one where either:

- some type of medical attention was administered, ranging from simple roadside first aid to an ER visit, doctor appointment or hospitalization.
- the resulting injury or condition impacted the chaser's ability to continue traveling (IE, food poisoning, severe pain, immobilization, etc).

In other words, for the purposes of this survey, something akin to bumping one's head on the doorframe, getting hit with a hailstone or getting stung by a bee would not count, unless it caused an injury or condition that either needed medical attention or caused the chase to be suspended or postponed.

- The injury or ailment must be from an external causative factor encountered while on the chase. IE, unrelated to a pre-existing chronic illness or exposure to an infectious agent before the chase began (headaches, coming down with the flu, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
On the May 29th, 2008 Kearny Nebraska storm I ended up losing my passenger side window to intense RFD winds with hail to around golf ball. Got a decent cut on my forearm that probably could of used a couple stitches, but didn't seek any medical attention. I got the cut when I was getting out of my vehical, I rested my arm on the center console onto a piece of glass.

I have had no injuries that affected my chase, needed anything more than a band aid or a ice pack on the forehead.

However, while I didn't exactly suffer any noticeable wounds or lasting pain, the lightning strike (indirect, but very strong) I took in 2004 was quite painful, way more than your normal shock, even than 110v outlet. I always joke that it was that strike that lead to my kidney failure....because kidney failure is one result many strike victims have encountered. Usually though other organs, brain damage and other problems occur along side, which I did not have.

Chasing since the late 1970s, no injuries or accidents--other than driving a rented Plymouth K-car into a flash flood in Texas at high speed. Had to be towed out and missed the rest of the chase. Car eventually restarted, but the LED clock presented only weird symbols from then on.

Newby at chasing, only four years, and not that frequently. No injuries, but does nearly getting hit by lightning count?!? Happened last year, trying to capture lightning while sitting on a bench on the porch at a local restaurant - lightning hit the power pole across the street, could feel something inside me leap towards it - transformer fireworked - and I missed the dang thing!! *sigh* Got the puff of smoke coming off, after.

I chase by myself more than i should and that's when the problems can happen. I have a big 4x4 truck that has keep me on the road while not paying attention and driving off it. Trying to navagate while driving has lead to a few just off the road incidents. No injuries yet ...

Back