Chasing here in NC... opinions? [14 photos]

John Mullen

To start things off, I’d like to introduce myself. My name is John Mullen and I’m the Team Leader of North Carolina Storm Chasers – Team 2. I’m 19 years old and I’ve had a deep rooted interest and passion with meteorology and more specifically, severe weather, since I was a very small child. I remember being 3 and 4 years old, being put to bed by my Mother, only to wonder back into the living room to watch The Weather Channel until I drifted off to sleep on the floor. I started “Armchair Chasing” 5 years ago, when I took control of NCSC Team 2 from Brian Vocannon. I would sit for hours every night on the IRC channel #stormchase, talking to Neal Rasmussen, Natalie Kilpatrick and many more, just letting the night pass me by talking up a storm… no pun intended. Occasionally, Angela, my Mother, would drive me around to take pictures of thunderstorms within 20 or so miles of our home in Benson, NC. This only drove my passions harder and probed at my curiosity for how and why the weather did what it did. My interest in photography began to take root around this time. I was photographing nearly everything in sight, in hopes of one day having work that was presentable to the public.

Then, after spending my entire life enveloped in meteorology, I had a chance to prove myself worthy of the title, “Storm Chaser”. Although, I was not chasing the storms myself, I was forecasting and nowcasting severe weather events for chasers in the Mid-West. The date was June 22rd, 2003.

On the days before the 22nd, I had spent many hours looking over computer models and making predictions as to what would happen in the coming days. When I finally unvailed my information and gave my opinion to everyone on #stormchase, being a “child” of only 14 years, no one bothered to listen. I told everyone that was chasing that day to head into South Central Nebraska, as I believed that would be the prime area for convection and a suitable chase. No one bothered to listen. If my memory serves me correctly, everyone stayed in Central Kansas that day and not one person saw more than clear blue skys and two massive supercells billowing to the north. It wasn’t until the next morning that I logged into #stormchase and I was finally told that everyone on the channel had my respect. From this point on, I continued giving valuable information to some chasers in the field as often as I could, to prove myself worthy of the title, “Storm Chaser”. And the chase was on.

I completed my first successful storm chase in September of 2006. I met a fellow chaser from Ardmore, Oklahoma, Doug Drace, who taught me a lot of what I know and use in the field today. He taught me the ins and outs of chasing, all the do’s and don’ts and pratically everything I needed to know to chase. I was already very knowledegable in the study of meteorology, enough that I could intercept and photograph supercell thunderstorms, and still make it home in one piece. Doug and I began talking nearly every day, with plans of me moving out to Oklahoma to chase with him for the newly formed KXII-Channel 12 storm team (which was Steve Lanore, and Doug and I’s idea) in the coming season. I backed out for reasons I won’t disclose, but I have to say, the year of 2006 changed my life completely. I was forecasting and nowcasting for Doug on many occassions, several times putting him in the pefect spot to “bag another tube” as he put it. Six tornado intercepts and one year later, Doug and I ceased talking.

Since then, I have become an avid photographer. I shoot CCS, WERA, ASRA, and AMA motorcycle races on the east coast. I’m in the works of starting my own photography buisness (landscapes, motorsports, portraits, and last but not least, severe weather) and have recently started my first year of school. I plan on having my Bachelors of Science in Meteorology in 4 years, and I may continue schooling beyond that. What I decide to do with it all… I haven't decided yet.

I chase every chance I get throughout the year, and here a few of my most recent photos (9/9/08 and some from about one month ago) to give ya'll a taste of what chasing in North Carolina is all about. Of course, any feedback or criticism is appreciated. I'm sure there will a few more small storms moving through this month, but either way I will have many more from the 2009 Storm Season when she finally gets here.

I hope this wasn't too drawn out, but I wanted you guys a little history on the man behind the camera. Thanks for listenin' haha :)

Here ya'll go though. What'cha think so far?

l_8366a824cc6eb7924d49475b64e9e4a9.jpg

l_6404121fa7325ef5a15af0827ff59573.jpg

l_425e54a7a772f389402a2590c6c8fba4.jpg

l_ac66aad16d23c351179ff92869016bbf.jpg

l_fb5804416cca98c436f2a74040c0ae23.jpg

l_5e6f754dbf610a34a9e4940e938b9fd3.jpg

l_3e5c06d962e0b351dd20c392d432e7d3.jpg

l_cf3650dc041e437645707b833bd10853.jpg

index.cfm

l_e323f1f5d3cf248d130d336a6d8332d2.jpg

l_ab87522cf22fe463947850fca0535dc2.jpg

l_eca128caa5a92ff39dcfcc5fe04f4629.jpg

l_9f0ec5ec1e225bf22ac108be69b8d5c3.jpg

l_ad23a72bb7544348c2eec2c46e1ffbae.jpg

l_d55c363200d5a2d27909b8e82126b683.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
..bumped..

does anyone like the photos I took? haha i didnt think they were that bad haha

Where in NC?

Hey John,
Good to hear from another chaser here in NC. I'm a meteorologist in central NC and was curious where in NC you are located? Perhaps we can pool resources for some chases. Before next Spring I will be in the market for new equipment and vehicle. And the pics look good.

Robb

As for the photo's I like them. I find it interesting that NC see's a few good tornado outbreaks once in a while because of the mountains on one side and the sea on the other side. I remember I think it was in 2007 that Rocky Mount NC had baseball size hail. How common is that in NC? How did you feel when you had those six tornado intercepts?

Keep up the good work and I hope everything works out for you and you're dreams come true. Since I did not say this yet Welcome to Stormtrack my friend :)

As for the photo's I like them. I find it interesting that NC see's a few good tornado outbreaks once in a while because of the mountains on one side and the sea on the other side. I remember I think it was in 2007 that Rocky Mount NC had baseball size hail. How common is that in NC? How did you feel when you had those six tornado intercepts?

Keep up the good work and I hope everything works out for you and you're dreams come true. Since I did not say this yet Welcome to Stormtrack my friend :)

Thanks Matt. As for the baseball sized hail, it's pretty rare. Golfballs are considered somewhat big around here and we average quarter size for almost all severe storms. We get more wind and flood damage than anything.

When it comes to the six tornado intercepts, I should have clarified. I had two intercepts that year while Doug had six. When I was nowcasting and advising Doug on his storms, I was still pretty excited. Hearing the wind over the phone is enough to give me chills and I know you could hear how happy we were when he managed to bag'em all. The level of excitement is high regardless is high. As for my two intercepts, I cannot describe the feeling. It's a feeling of mixed emotions, wondering where exactly the tornado is on the ground and what kind of damage it is doing, also paired with lots of excitement, awe, and wonder. Knowing you have what it takes to be in the right place at the right time is a really great feeling too. I can't describe all the emotions.

I just now got home from chasing Ike, my fourth cane chase, the others being Jeanne, Katrina, Rita and not Ike. Since I live in Raleigh and have tracked every atlantic hurricane since Hazel, I am looking for some NC chasers to chase north carolina hurricane with. If I could find some chasers near Raleigh I would chase triangle tornadoes as well. Ed

Great pics! Thanks for the introduction! A chase in the Plains would definitely be rewarding for you. Given your experience and love for storm chasing, I suspect you would have lots of success! You should also consider coming to the National Storm Chasers Convention in February, assuming it's still on for this year. It's great to meet all the people, from both overseas and the U.S., who share the same passion you do. If I'm ever chasing in NC, I'll know who to call!

Beautiful. You definitely have an eye for contrast. You have my respect.

NC definitely has a beautiful landscape for chasing, that is if the Outer Banks is considered in that. I've only been there in NC.

You really ought to consider a chase in the Plains. Take a two week vacation and come on out here. With your eye for photography, I bet you could do some of these storms justice.

In 2000 and 2001 I chased in the plains with Cloud 9 Tours and from 2001 to the present with Silver Lining Tours with June 23,2002 being my best day ever for tornadoes. That day I saw 7 tornadoes in one family, 4 were between f3 and f5 and two of them produce satellite tornadoes so I have done my share of plains chasing Now I want to concentrate on chasing tornadoes in NC and chasing hurricanes. Ed

I want to say thank you for all the kind words of encouragement and support, and the warm welcomes, I really do appreciate it. I work everyday to get better at what I love to do and it seems to be finally paying off. So thanks guys. I mean it.

To Ed, did you chase with Cloud 9 and Silver Lining, or for them? Meaning, did you pay to go on the tour or are you a integral part of the team(s)? I could be looking for a new partner for next season, mostly depending on how my finances pan out, but I'm looking for someone with a decent amount of knowledge and expierence. Basically anyone in the central NC area with a good core knowledge of forecasting and nowcasting severe weather, and that knows how to use a camera (still and video).

To Robb, I'll be replying to your email in the next couple days. Thanks for your response though. I've been tied up with family and personal issues over the past few days, but I haven't forgot about you.

Thanks again to everyone who replied. I appreciate the support! :D

John, I paid to go on the tours taking the Silver Lining Tours Master Class Tour at least twice. I have now seen my share of tornadoes in the plains so I have put plains tours in the been there done that category. My chasing interest now is limited to Triangle tornadoes in North Carolina and hurricanes anywhere. My first experience with hurricane was the western eyewall came through Raleigh on Oct. 15, 1954 when I was in the sixth grade. I have tracked every atlantic hurricane since and chased hurricanes Jeanne, Katrina, Rita, and now Ike with Roger Hill. The most notable hurricanes to chase me were Hazel, Fran, Floyd and most recently Hanna. Ed

Back