Chases per year?

About 20 this year I expect. Been on two already this year (one hit, one miss-50% ain't bad :D ). Last year I lost count, but I'd say at least 25. Last year I traveled to Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, Kansas several times, and all over Oklahoma. 2003 is too far back to remember . . . lol.

(off topic briefly) I find it surprisingly easier to cut chases short this year, due to gas prices. Last year, I stuck with a storm as long as I could. This year, if it looks like it's gonna die, I split for home. How sad . . . Maybe I need an electric chase vehicle.

I chased 14 times last year, and three times in 2003 (first year out). Of those 10 were busts.

Is it depressing to you guys that we can be so passionate about a hobby, but only pursue it 2 - 7% of the total year. I guess you could count the anticipation and forecasting a few days before the event, and the high you ride a few days after. Also the weather seminars, chaser parties, and chase vehicle building/gear adding. But still, those winters are long. I guess most of us have more than one hobby or pusuit than chasing.

Yes, I have other hobbies. I think what makes storm chasing so special is that there is such a narrow window (March-June) of the year to chase. If I could chase every day of the year I might tire of it. Having that spring anticipation all year is great for me.

I'll refer you to the precedent of Christmas. As kids, we all looked forward to Christmas, because it only came once a year. The principle works for Christmas, and it works for chasing (although I'd prefer one storm intercept to a lifetime of Christmases). If you have to wait for something, it means more to you.

Chasing the last few years? Well, I have only been chasing for 4 years (turned 16 3 years ago)

I would say as follows-

2002- 15 or so
2003- 15-20
2004- 25
2005- 3 so far... I would estimate between 20-30 ... really the sky is the limit however, if it is within a driveable distance and I can go, i'll be there.

I agree with the previous poster about chasing. Every chase to me feels like Christmas morning, no doubt about that.

Back