Chase Hotline 2009

Based on my available time and workload I've decided that I'm going to give it a go and offer regular Chase Hotline services once again, just like we used to have before 2006.

The plans now offered, effective today are as follows:

LITE PLAN / $39
Daily, detailed morning outlook and target sent to you via e-mail at 9 am. Includes morning amendments.

STANDARD PLAN / $99
Adds phone access, afternoon updates via e-mail, and mesoanalysis charts via the Web.

VIP PLAN / $299
All of above, plus your designated target is continuously monitored all day. You receive an immediate phone call on your cell phone as soon as something important occurs.

VIP FOR A DAY / $29
Gives you VIP access for one day.

For more information visit:
http://www.chasehotline.com

At these lower prices this really requires participation from a large enough number of chasers to be viable (9 hours of commitment a day on my part x 30 days), which is harder to get nowadays since many chasers are out there with wireless Internet. So I encourage you to share word about this if you feel it's something worthwhile or think someone else might be interested. In a way this is kind of a test to see if the Hotline can be effectively continued in this day and age of chasing.

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Tim,

Thank you for offering this valuable service at an extremely affordable price! I just signed up for the standard plan and am looking forward to receiving your updates. As a heads-up, I was going to throw in a couple of VIP for a Day packages, but the page errors out when I try to sign up. (I'm using Safari) It says the pricing structure is not set.

It's obvious that you like sharing your love of weather with others and I'm looking forward to reading your forecasts over the next 4-5 weeks.

Bryan

Thanks for the comments and for the info about the error message. I fixed it; fortunately it was a simple typo in the signup URL.

Tim

Why is it now canceled? I would have so used this service.

Unfortunately, I assume it's as a result of a lack of customers. From the site:

I regret to announce that the Chase Hotline service has been cancelled for the remainder of 2009 except to VIP customers. The Chase Hotline has been seeing business decline precipitously over the past few years, partly due to the reach of mobile Internet and the ongoing recession. I looked after 73 clients in 2002, but this has gradually decreased to the point where only 4 signups were received this year, even after affordable "light" and "basic" versions of the Hotline were offered. Unfortunately this doesn't support the hundreds of hours of forecast work required on my part, so regrettably I am drawing down the service and issuing refunds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff's quote is correct. There are expenses incurred in running the service, plus a lot of work involved being on call 10 hours a day for 30 days. Early this week I sent an e-mail out to all of our past customers going back to 2001 inviting them to sign up. I was rather optimistic we'd get a handful of subscriptions that would carry the service to the break-even point, but the e-mails didn't generate a single signup or inquiry and we've had no new signups since last weekend. I think the Hotline is a concept that found its niche during the 1xRTT and "WiFi hotspot" era, but nowadays full G3 mobile Internet can be had for $60/month and presumably this is what suffices for most chasers.

I will be focusing on my next book project and will still be around to post on Target Area though. The clients I had that signed up were disappointed but understanding and all of them so far have opted for some nowcasting service on key storm days.

Tim

Back