• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Chase computer's on a budget

Hi all i am in the market for a new PC and i would like to get input as to what would be a good PC would be to continue to chase with as my other one is getting older and slower. Must be budget Friendly. Thank you all for your suggestions in advance.

Are you interested in a tablet, or laptop? What software are you planning to run? Android-based systems are typically cheaper than Windows(tm) machines but won't run WIndows-based software like GR3.

By PC you mean laptop? I would say try out a top of the line mini PC. They are small and compact and don''t really take up a lot of room. However, even with the top of the line mini PC, you will not get the same performance say out of a normal sized laptop.

If I was you I would try a tablet first. They are so many of them out there that finding one that will work for your needs is only a few clicks away and most can be had for less than $150. Besides most chasers now and days are using them. Just ask around for suggestions.

Edited for grammar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I gave up windows and GRLevel several years ago ... but isn't GRLevel still the "gold standard" Wx app among chasers? (for it's many features geared towards the chaser community)

And isn't it Windows only still?

If that's the case, then that will limit the options somewhat to a Windows notebook or tablet. But, then one has to consider is this going to be the same machine that handles their images and videos after the chase ... if so, this adds other considerations where a tablet is not a practical option unless you're dealing with smaller images and nothing larger then 1080p video, and not a Photoshop user

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I gave up windows and GRLevel several years ago ... but isn't GRLevel still the "gold standard" Wx app among chasers? (for it's many features geared towards the chaser community)

And isn't it Windows only still?

For the record, I use Linux as a desktop software at both home and work, so I am NOT a Windows fan at all. That being said, if you wanna run GRLevelX you have to have WIndows, I went both directions. I have a Micro$oft $urface Pro tablet running GR3, Delorme Street Atlas, and MS Streets and Trips, as well as an Android tablet (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1) running Pykl3, Radarscope, and several mapping programs such as OpenStreetMap, google maps, etc. I like the ability to switch back and forth between programs, as there are features I like and dislike about all those I have mentioned. My favorite feature in Pykl3 is the ability to touch the screen anywhere and bring up the nearest RDA to that point - perfect for when I am in an unfamiliar state and don't know which radar points are close by city name alone (looking at YOU, GR3).

Regardless, my Galaxy Note is an older unit I picked up for less than $300 a few years ago, but it runs RadarScope and Pykl3 just fine, and I have a GPS position logger running simultaneously in the background on my trips without any performance issues. I would think for the same amount of money today you should be able to find a more powerful tablet with more RAM and storage and would be perfectly happy with it (as long as you aren't planning to do your photo/video processing on it).

To add to what Todd says, there are a few decent photo/video editors for Linux as well (I too primarily use Linux at home). What I did, was bought a much older laptop to run Linux on, and plan to pick up a windows tablet at some point to run GRL3. For now, RadarScope on my iPad and Note 4 will suffice. I pull out the Linux laptop for when I want to look at models before initiation or do photo/video editing. Even running only 2GB of RAM it does it all pretty well.

Another thing I've seen done with Linux users (with varying levels of success) is a Windows emulator such as WINE. Some get it to work fine, others don't. I haven't tried it personally, and I probably don't have the processing power to do it either.

Just some food for thought.

I found tons of nice Windows 8 tablets with two USB ports at the MicroCenter. I have been using them as my secondary chase laptop in the field. Something that I can have up when I'm driving or when I hop out of the car and I need my GRLevel3. The only issues I could think of is only 3 hours of battery life and no built-in GPS. The $150 model is 10 inches and could put the MS surface pro to shame. For streaming and video editing, stick with a laptop.

A guy at work has an ASUS Transformer T100TA-C1-GR 10.1, and it's pretty powerful for quite cheap. Comes with a detachable keyboard, too!
One thing I really dislike about my Surface Pro is the weight. Both my RAM and Arkon mounts hate it. The ASUS is lightweight like an iPad.

An idea of what budget friendly means would be helpful. My lenovo was $999 and I cosnider that budget friendly when compared to hipsters paying over 2k for a mac book pro. If you plan to edit HD video you really should get something higher end even if it hurts the pocket book.

Back