Cell Phone Upgrade

Paul Austin

My two year cell plan is up, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with any of the following phones:

Motorola RAZR V3m
LG Chocolate
LG VX8600
LG enV
Motorola MOTOKRZR K1m

My service is Verizon, and I've been happy with the service and performance thus far. I listed the above because I get $150 savings if I renew online, and those were the ones listed for my area that I was interested in.

I'm not really concerned with extras such as mp3 play. I don't do a lot of text messaging though I probably would if my phone had a qwerty keyboard such as the enV has. I am most concerned with reception, battery life, and USB or bluetooth communication with my laptop. Any opinions or suggestions?

I have the Motorola Razr V3. I have had the phone for almost exactly 1 year and I am on my 3rd phone already. Everytime I call, they pretty much say, yeah, that has been happening, we will send you a replacement. I do not recommend the phone. Good luck finding a good one.

Motorola E815 for Verizon with Jabra BlueTooth Headset

Love this phone my friend. Have had it for a solid 6 months now. Not one little problem. Seeing how in the span of the past two years i've had 8 phones, im pretty dang rough on em'. I've always been a big fan of Motorola's products, but the RAZR just isn't one of em. The V3M is nice if you like a personal "walkman", but for a reliable phone, stay away from any model of it. You also cannot hook up the V3M to a external antenna. (Such as a Wilson Electronics Trucker Anntenna)

Now, your main Verizon stores will NOT carry the older phones. You'll have to go to a Authorized Agent to find them. I had the V3M for awhile, but the E815 is smoking it right up. All the features of the RAZR, yet isn't as "skinny" but hey, who cares?!

Thanks Mandy and Nick.

I've pretty much crossed the RAZR and the Chocolate off the list. I'm gonna check into the E815 as well.

Motorola E815 for Verizon with Jabra BlueTooth Headset

Love this phone my friend. Have had it for a solid 6 months now. Not one little problem. Seeing how in the span of the past two years i've had 8 phones, im pretty dang rough on em'. I've always been a big fan of Motorola's products, but the RAZR just isn't one of em. The V3M is nice if you like a personal "walkman", but for a reliable phone, stay away from any model of it. You also cannot hook up the V3M to a external antenna. (Such as a Wilson Electronics Trucker Anntenna)

Now, your main Verizon stores will NOT carry the older phones. You'll have to go to a Authorized Agent to find them. I had the V3M for awhile, but the E815 is smoking it right up. All the features of the RAZR, yet isn't as "skinny" but hey, who cares?!

If you can get your hands on an E815 , grab it quick . Best battery life and RF reception of any phone on the market . Way better phone than the Razr , Just not sexy

I am also changing service and phones. I now have cellular one and absolutely hate it! I'm going to go with cingular and I have also been wondering about a good phone with great reception. I chase for a TV station here in Amarillo, so I need the best reception I can get without all the bells and whistles.

I had bad luck and poor customer service with Cingular and switched to Verizon a couple years ago. I just upgraded from the LG to a Samsung SCH-a990 that contains a 3.2mp digital cam. I did this primarily to have a camera with me when opportunities to grab storm photos come up on work-related trips.

By renewing my contract with Verizon for two years, I got a hundred bucks toward a new phone.

The 990 phone has been way better than my LG. I've had fewer drop outs and the reception and tone are strong enough that I don't have to have the volume set on full, unlike the LG. Still, a lot is spent on camera and downloadable music potential on this unit that may not be desirable to most folks--I like the camera but don't need the music.

Well, I went with Cingular and got a good deal on a Samsung C417 phone. I got the Nationwide plan with 5000 nights and weekends. I told the service rep. that I was a storm chaser for KAMR and he threw in a car charger for free. He also told me that the $80 phone had a $50 mail in rebate and a few minutes later said, Heck, I will just give you an "in house" rebate so you don't have to mess with mailing it. I thanked him and went on my merry way. Hope this plan and cell phone works out better than my last one did. I guess we will see. As well as this went, I might say that I'm a storm chaser when I buy everything from now on!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Except car insurance...

Sounds like you got a great deal.

Sprint is doing the same for me to change over my phones.. I just ordered a Treo 700p and will be switching my service to that phone upon its arrival. They offered to waive the activation fees and allow me to keep my current plan without extending my contract even as the plan is no longer offered.

I am upgrading plans and trying to decide which phone to go with. I see several members here have used the Motorola E815. However, I've seen one prominent review that knocks their EVDO reception a little bit:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Motorola_E815/4505-6454_7-31280474.html
"The bad: The Motorola E815 suffers from a slippery keypad, touch-and-go EV-DO reception, and no analog roaming. Also, Bluetooth file transfers have been disabled."

Have any of the E815 users experienced issues with EVDO? The other phone I am looking at is the Samsung U520.

Thanks,
Tony

Just got the U520 (thought it was Alltel only)... only downside I can see so far is no external antenna jack. We'll see how it does this chases season =) Otherwise the phone is pretty slick with a nice display.

Back