cell phone signal ampliflier/antenna

jshields

hey everyone- i apologize in advance for the possible dumb question:D i have a limited budget this winter for new equipment, and besides wanting to purchase a new hd video camera, i really would like to get some kindof antenna/ampliflier for my verizon wireless usb720 modem. if i could get by with just an antenna i would like to do that as $150-200 for an ampliflier is out of my budget for now. i just did a quick internet/ebay search and had a question on a few products. would something like this work for my verizon wireless modem that i use for my broadband?

http://www.wirelessground.com/excarmoanboa.html

i like it bc it is a wireless antenna, but in the description it says "for your wireless phone". since the modem is going off the verizon(or whatever network i'm using at the moment) for signal strength, i'm guessing this would still work for my modem, correct?!

this one is much more expensive and has the cable that you connect to the modem, which is why i am wondering if i need a cable to get increased performance on signal strength for my modem.

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=52&products_id=378

thanks for any help in advance!!

The glass mount connection isn't an actual direct connection from inside the car to the outside antenna. That being the case your signal is still trapped inside the vehicle enclosure. The second option is made specifically for your device and is a direct connection to the outside antenna which will greatly improve performance.

I agree with Ric's comments; stay away from any glass mount antennas, they will not improve things for this application.

Before purchasing an amplifier I just went with an antenna and there was a marked improvement, so your thinking is good here. If you still want an amp later than you will already have an antenna to use with it.

Shop around a bit though, you may get a better price than the link you provided. Remember to factor in the cost of the modem adapter (which is included in your link) when making comparisons.

I put together some information on our site regarding cellular antennas and amplifiers if you are interested.

Thanks for those links, which lead to some nicely unbiased opinions and tests on the various products involved.

Personally I wish the Cyfre products were easier to come by than the current arrangement; probably why the Wilson products do so well (for sale almost everywhere).

The best option

The Cyfre is the only way to go. Gordon is the best to deal with at Maximum Signal and the product he carries is top notch and I know this after buying a Wilson. It is now being used as a foot warmer for my wife during winter months when were out shooting snow video. The Wilson gets so hot Im affraid it works great for that but did not work as a device to boost my cell signal. The Cyfre actually works and works very well. In an area that the phone alone had no signal the Cyfre CA819 boosted me to 4 bars. The Wilson boosted me to 1 bar but I the person I called couldnt hear me talk but I could hear them. I done numerous tests with the Cyfre, Wilson, and then a few other brands and the Cyfre is the only way to go. I once needed a cable since I changed phones and a call to Gordon and I had a cable to me in 2 days. He ALWAYS ships the same day I call. You won't go wrong going with Cyfre

I too have done numerous tests with the Cyfre in places where Signal was 1 bar or less. It`s well worth the money. I bought the cable from Gordon to hook my data card to the amp and life was all good after that point. works great as long as you do the direct connection to your data card, it makes all the differance in the wrold.
Mine was set up wireless and I really dont think it worked. So I got the cable from Gordon and did the direct connection to the data card and poof it worked!!!!!
I wouldn`t chase with out it!

I'll chime in and ask a curious question. Does the Cyfre work with the Verizon mobile MiFi hotspot? I've been looking at getting an amplifier but want to make sure it works with the MiFi

The MIFI has no working External antenna port. So it cannot be effectively used with a direct connect amplifier. We will have a new Line of wireless amplifiers later in the year called Signal Control Technology that will work effectively with the MIFI. The MIFI Is flawed in that way . Great in urban applications but ineffective in signal challenged areas where need to be able to connect to a signal enhancing device , be it an antenna or an amplifier
I'll chime in and ask a curious question. Does the Cyfre work with the Verizon mobile MiFi hotspot? I've been looking at getting an amplifier but want to make sure it works with the MiFi

does anyone have the verizon wireless usb720? if so i see nowhere on the unit for me to connect a cable?! anyone know where i would connect the cable to? thanks again for all the info!

Look on the side of the device . There is a little rubber flap . That covers the external antenna port . Pull it back . That is where you connect an antenna or amplifier to

does anyone have the verizon wireless usb720? if so i see nowhere on the unit for me to connect a cable?! anyone know where i would connect the cable to? thanks again for all the info!

My understanding is, if you are interested in data, you are better off using a WIRED connection. Going to an external antenna is a huge help. If you are going to go with an external antenna, why not get the most insane one? This is the one I bought:

http://www.maximumsignal.net/store/product.php?productid=16201

Hey Gordon,

I've always wanted to ask this question and should have over at the Maximum Signal forums, as I've been wondering about it for awhile now. On the bottom of the direct connect Cyfre CHA-819 there is a note that says: "Caution: This product is designed to be used with an external antenna with maximum gain of 3 dBi or less. The use of an antenna of higher gain is strictly prohibited".

I personally use an over the glass antenna with 5 dBi gain and the above poster uses the super trucker with 9 dBi of gain. What is the deal with that note and can you elaborate on this subject for us chasers who like to understand the technology used in these amps?

Thanks,
Mark

It is just something the FCC makes us put on there. They do not it to work ytoo well for you.

Hey Gordon,

I've always wanted to ask this question and should have over at the Maximum Signal forums, as I've been wondering about it for awhile now. On the bottom of the direct connect Cyfre CHA-819 there is a note that says: "Caution: This product is designed to be used with an external antenna with maximum gain of 3 dBi or less. The use of an antenna of higher gain is strictly prohibited".

I personally use an over the glass antenna with 5 dBi gain and the above poster uses the super trucker with 9 dBi of gain. What is the deal with that note and can you elaborate on this subject for us chasers who like to understand the technology used in these amps?

Thanks,
Mark

Back