Canon XS vs. Nikon D3000

N Parker

Alright, this should be a fun thread....

I passed on buying a DSLR a couple years ago and have been slugging it out with my Canon S5IS. It has been a good camera and has held up very well through the hell I put it through.

However, it is finally time to upgrade to a DSLR.

I've been looking at the Canon XS (EOS 1000D) and the Nikon D3000. I'm not looking to make profit from my pictures, but I want to step my capabilities up in terms of clarity, sharpness, and low-light situations. I've taken 100's of storm pictures, including night time lightning, and have got some pretty neat pictures. It will mostly be used for this, but I also plan on getting a 55-250mm for it in the future to help with landscape, people, and other things I see fit.

Noticed the D3000 is $50 cheaper than the Canon on BestBuy. (where I will most likely buy the camera, as I have some gift cards that need to be used). But other than that, is there really a difference worth having one over the other?

Do yourself a favor and research the Pentax K-x: Best low-light (High ISO) performance out there and the basic kit is under $499 at Amazon. The K-x purportedly has the same sensor as the Nikon D5000 for a ton less. It will get you 12.4 megapixels instead of 10.2 (megapixels are not all that, but they are something!) It can also do video, has Live View, and takes AA batteries.

I think most people will plug what they use, and for very good reason. Nikon and Cannon are both very good products. I don't think you will go wrong with either. I shoot Nikon and would never consider changing to Cannon not because Nikon is any better, but it would just be too damn expensive to change now.

One thing I enjoy is that two people I know also shoot Nikon and we sometimes trade lenses and accessories, as well as borrow each others lenses in a pinch. That would be the deciding factor for me if I were just getting started now knowing what I know. Cannon and Nikon pretty much play leapfrog with their latest greatest technology. If one gets ahead of the other, the other will soon pass. For just a little while.

But as far as buying at Best Buy goes, you'd be better off buying your camera straight out somewhere like KEH Camera Brokers, Adorama, or B&H and taking those gift cards and buying something else. Best Buy is not very competitive on camera gear, at least not DSLR's. I'm not sure how much your gift cards are for, but you might be able to spend less out of pocket even with the gift cards at one of those places I listed.

Good luck!

*Coughs* Nikon *Coughs* D5000 ;)

Seriously, buy what fits your needs and budget. Keep in mind a good lens can make up for low light situations.

I see Canon chose to include Live View; this can be handy when trying to focus an AF lens at night. Other than that I'd compare ergonomics and menu functionality. With any digicam, you'll spend too much time pushing buttons. You may as well choose buttons that work well for you!

*Coughs* Nikon *Coughs* D5000 ;)
Seriously, buy what fits your needs and budget. Keep in mind a good lens can make up for low light situations.

D5000 is a very good camera. The K-x is reported to have the same (Sony Exmor) sensor and great low-light performance for a lot less.

Fast lenses certainly help in low light situations, but better High ISO performance will help all of your lenses perform better (even the slower ones). And High ISO will give you the opportunity to use faster shutter speeds on all lenses (including the good/fast ones). There is no substitute for great high ISO performance, especially when you can get it for under $500 with the K-x.

The K-x is specifically designed to be easy to use for people moving up from Point & Shoots, but also contains settings that let you take more control when you are ready.

Sure people will tout what they shoot, but I was in N Parker's exact situation a couple of years ago when looking for my first DSLR. I also assumed my choice would be between Canon & Nikon until I saw a review of the Pentax K200D in a magazine and was struck by the number of features I could get (for the money) with Pentax. The XS was one of the cameras I was considering way back then also, so for that reason alone I would not choose it. Why buy a 2008 camera new in 2010? The K-x is the replacement for the K200D and many say it outperforms the Pentax flagship model, the K7.

I'm just saying you won't regret adding the K-x to your comparisons. You might be very surprised. A number of very good ST photographers have now chosen to go with Pentax including Jim Saueressig and Dean Cosgrove.

Hi all! Good thread...just wanted to throw my thoughts in here....
First of all, Darren, the Kx and D5000 as far as I know and have understood do not have the same Sony sensor, nor does the Kx come even close in low light situations as the D5000. It does do a better job at higher ISO than the D3000, the key words at higher ISO (not lower ones) In other words (as tested) ISO 100-800 the D3000 and Rebel XS clearly outgunned the Kx. The Pentax really showed itself was in ISO settings above 800....here is where it beat both models hands down. But as with most Pentax (IMHO) and as was tested, the low light auto focus sucked period. And what good is all that ISO if your camera will not autofocus. Yes, yes, you can focus manually provided you can see and yes the live view can help in this situation but I would be interested to see someone trying to use live view to focus in a low light situation to begin with. Think lightning or even a tornado in low contrast. Test here: http://www.popphoto.com/Reviews/Cameras/Camera-Test-Nikon-D5000
My best friend from high school who has been a pro shooter for years shots with a Pentax and has since 1999, he loves it but even with the "pro model" he shoots with he still complains about the low light auto focus issue.

Now on to the D3000....the 3000 is a decent cam for someone just getting into photography but thats pretty much where it stops. You WILL OUTGROW THIS CAMERA VERY QUICKLY. Test here: http://www.popphoto.com/reviews/cameras/2010/03/camera-test-nikon-d3000

If it were me, I would really look at the D5000, talk about bang for your buck!
Of course I am biased to the Nikon as I shoot with the D90 and the D60 as my backup.
I guess it boils down to really what you can afford and what feels comfortable in your hands.

Also, just a note to pass along about KEH (which Wes recommended upthread). In recent days a couple of people shared experiences with KEH (on used equipment) that might give one pause:
Be careful when dealing with KEH. I used to be a big fan of theirs and made frequent purchases of Pentax gear.

Until two years ago.

That was when I bought two items in rapid succession that arrived 'incomplete' contrary to their description. And I immediately requested permission to ship back the items.

They simply ignored both requests, ignored mailed requested, ignored telephone calls. All requests for permission to return were done within their 'grace period.'

You'd think they would be more responsive to a guy that offices right across the street from the Courthouse, but even a letter on my "Official Lawyer" letterhead got no response. Both items were under $100. But Still ...

In other words, don't trust them unless you are willing to give up and simply throw what you paid for into the trash. They treat you like a Southerner when you're buying, but you become a Yankee when you complain.
and

I recently picked up an LX from them in "EX+" condition that arrived
with its shutter lock not functioning (the switch didn't prevent the
meter from turning on or the shutter from being triggered.)

My first email to sales@keh received no reply but after trying
[email protected] they did email me saying to return it for a refund. My
response asking if they'd fix it rather than refund it went unanswered.

Fortunately I was able to fix it myself after 2 different repair folk
turned it down citing difficultly in getting parts from Pentax.

Caveat emptor.
YMMV.

I might go the canon route if I was to start all over. I might look into how lenses can transfer from body to body.

I'm pretty much stuck with Nikon because how much it would cost to switch. I shoot with a D90 partly because of the ergonomics (wheel for focus and a wheel for aperture), but also all my older lenses, to the best of my knowledge, wouldn't work on a d3000/d5000 (i.e. those cameras focus using the electronic motor in the lens which my lenses don't have).

Canon XS - $523
10 mp, no video, up to 1600 ISO, 2.5 inch lcd, digic 3 processor etc

Canon XTi - $593
15 mp, video, up to 12,600 ISO, 3 inch lcd, digic 4 processor etc

At BH. That is pretty silly. I don't see how they sell any XS cameras.

Canon XS - $523
10 mp, no video, up to 1600 ISO, 2.5 inch lcd, digic 3 processor etc

Canon XTi - $593
15 mp, video, up to 12,600 ISO, 3 inch lcd, digic 4 processor etc

At BH. That is pretty silly. I don't see how they sell any XS cameras.

I was going to say the same thing, just ignore the XS as an option and look to the T1i instead, it is a much nicer camera for just a little more. I would also not bother with a 55-250 unless your primary focus is going to be long distance photography, there are much better mid range lenses available for all purpose photography.

Second vote for the Pentax K-x! Best bang for your buck in my opinion attm for an entry level dslr. I have had one for a little less than two months and absolutely love it. With the K-x and a decent lens such as a tamron f2.8 17-50 mm, your pictures will turn out great. I have not had the opportunity that much to use it for storm chasing because I have been just way too busy with family stuff. The low light pics I have taken hand held of my 6 month old daughter have turned out great! The Pentax can be picked up with the 18-55 mm lens kit for around $500. The tamron f2.8 17-50 mm lens can be purchased for around $415 or so. A lot of chasers prefer the super wide angle lenses, a tamron 10-24 mm is a good one, for storm chasing. I purchased the tamron f2.8 17-50 mm lens because I figured it would be a good compromise for storm photography and taking pics of my daughter.

Thanks for all the great info! I'll research a few of these ideas and see what happens.

Back