Canon T2i = HD Video / DSLR for under $1k

I'm very skeptical on this supposed firmware update for the 5D MkII. I hope I am wrong, but since the announcement was made back in October that "Canon is working on a firmware update," we've heard nothing else.

Perhaps the sensor size, clock speed, etc. just can't be done with adjustable frame rates on the 5D MkII. The 7D and the new T2i will now offer some additional video advantages, while still employing the use of Canon's awesome lens collection.

Well I think if they came out and announced it themsleves that they are doing it, one can count on it. It is obviously possible since that magic lantern group made their own to do it. Doubt it is simply taking Canon this long. Probably some motive behind that long of a date, or it is a testing deal they have to do.

I'm a die-hard photographer, but in my opinion, video on a SLR is far more than a gimmick. It has many uses and we are only beginning to scratch the surface on what can be created. On the video side of things, the creativity alone from the wide array of lenses is staggering. The sensor is superior. And the versatility of shooting stills or video is great.

I just bought a 7D and will use that in tandem with a 40D this chase season. In most situations, I will have two tripods set up...one for video and the other for stills. I'm really looking forward to seeing what this dual capability will bring in the years to come...

Bryan

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Magic_Lantern_Firmware_Wiki

Pretty impressive thoughts and wording from that link that Chris posted, from guys that know what they are talking about obviously. Granted it is the 5D II they are talking about in this case. Still it comes down to larger sensors and the higher bit rates as well, plus the lens abilities. They do cover the chances of their firmware working on the other ones with vid capabilities.

what are we getting ourselves into? lol

800px-5D_Rig.jpg

I wonder if a 5DmkIIn or 5DmkIII is going to rear its head pretty soon. I am guessing there are some upset 5DmkII owners out there (heck, there are some mad t1i owners out there). Perhaps canon did not think video would be accepted like it has. When the 5DmkII was announced I was totaly against video in an dSLR, now its a feature I am after

I am guessing there are some upset 5DmkII owners out there (heck, there are some mad t1i owners out there).

I could maybe understand a T1i owner being upset, but a 5D2 owner? Yeah, maybe b/c the firmware upgrade is taking forever, and maybe if they are strictly looking at the closure in technology, but for any other reason, I think they need their head examined. The 5D2 is a full frame, has incredible image quality and dynamic range in low light without a flash, weather sealed vs not, has micro-adjustment vs none, alloy body vs plastic, etc etc and as a professional grade camera remains leaps and bounds ahead of any rebel series.

The 5D2 is a full frame, , , , etc etc and as a professional grade camera remains leaps and bounds ahead of any rebel series.

I am assuming it (5DII) does not have dual memory cards. Is this correct? If so I'm trying to decide what this means to me as I am accustomed to EOS-1 cameras that write to two cards. I'm also wondering what the connection wire is. Hope it is firewire not USB.

I am assuming it (5DII) does not have dual memory cards. Is this correct? If so I'm trying to decide what this means to me as I am accustomed to EOS-1 cameras that write to two cards. I'm also wondering what the connection wire is. Hope it is firewire not USB.

Single memory card/compact flash and USB not firewire. Does have an HDMI port too, just need a cable with a smaller end on it than most.

While the T2i would be nice, I am still excited about getting the T1i. Heck, it's my first DSLR. I do not have the disposable funds to go after the big boy cameras. But as I have been shooting 35mm up till now, this is a huge leap for me. As far as video goes, I have seen several Canon GL1 and XL1 cams in the $500-$700 range, and may go after one of those for now.

I look at all of the new cameras and what the specs are, then look at the work that Mike H, Eric N, and others did with the 1st generation DSLRs, and feel no remorse at all over not being able to step up to the higher-priced cameras.

Single memory card/compact flash and USB not firewire. Does have an HDMI port too, just need a cable with a smaller end on it than most.

Ya, thats what I thought. Well they gotta create some incentive to spend the big money on a 1 series. But Canon is really pushing this as a camera for wedding shooters which in my opinion is a professional application. I would just be real tentative about using a single memory card as my primary
camera on a wedding. Drop that CF card or if it just got corrupted and no back up. I just feel a whole lot better about immediately writing two files at the moment of capture . . . And USB uploads are S L O W

Anyone know when the T2i is coming out? I am going to sell my XTi to buy one. I can't wait! I hope it is soon...

And USB uploads are S L O W

You mean to a computer after the fact? Each new rebel body seemed to make that faster and faster. XSi was damn fast compared to the past. I didn't figure the 5D II with about twice the res would be any quicker, but it is even faster. 1 second a picture maybe it seemed. I think they were 22-30 meg files depending on ISO. Seemed fast but I've never done it via firewire on anything before.

. . .the 5D II with about twice the res would be any quicker, but it is even faster. 1 second a picture maybe it seemed. I think they were 22-30 meg files depending on ISO. .

That's good news and at 1 sec it is faster than my 1Ds models with firewire! I figured they must have improved that somehow esp. w/ HD video to upload to the computer as well.

Back