Canon T2i = HD Video / DSLR for under $1k

Billy Griffin

Canon announces their newest HD video / DSLR combo rig, the EOS Rebel T2i, with full HD video and 18.0 megapixels !!! Thought this would be a great FYI for the chaser who is looking to combine 'both' HD video and DSLR.

http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=19943

If only they would release the supposed firmware update for my 5D MkII (sigh).
I can only shoot in 30p mode, whereas the new T2i allows all types of adjustable frame rates. Looks like a great deal at $799.
One could shoot some great HD video at 24fps with this camera, plus have a full 18MP DSLR.... I am trying to talk myself into getting this as a secondary camera, but the budget is arguing back. LOL

Wow they sure don't waste any time anymore. The only problem with DSLR for video is you'd pretty much need two of them. Each time you want to take a still it records that still to the video for 1 second. You'd not be able to do timelapse of a storm unless you didn't want any different angle stills that whole time. So I'm still not sure the worth DSLR video is for chasing...UNLESS you picked up two of them.

What did they do with this thing, stick a 7D sensor in it and leave out the second processor for speed? I thought the T1i very recently came out. Google search says May 2009 for US T1i. Good grief less than a year is too fast. I mean they are still selling the XSi new on BH with the T1i lol.

I was looking for an upgrade from the XSi and not seeing it in the T1i and 7D didn't make sense to me since I could sell my 10-22 and get to a 5D II instead. LOL then I see this after I already ordered the 5D II. This actually might have stopped that whole sequence of events/thoughts taking me to the 5D.

How can they not have released that firmware upgrade yet. Seemed like it was a sure thing and listing on some new products as having the new video abilities.

And really, with the 7D now and rebels like this, is there really much need for the 50D line? They have too many "lines". Even have that XS thing as a lower cost rebel. Been some rumoring about some 3D line.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'm all over this. No question.
Been wanting an extra body and this will fit nicely in my bag.

I gotta agree with Mike here. I don't really understand the point of HD video on the DSLR, you can't use them simultaneously and I'm sure the vidcaps aren't nearly as good as an actual picture taken with the camera. So you are stuck with either video missing a few seconds here or there, or a crapping still vidcap image.

I've been contemplating upgrading, but I really think my next upgrade will be full-frame and a nice wide angle lens. They just seem to be pumping out all of the intro-level cameras now to keep the public interested in purchasing the latest and greatest. I might bite sometime, but I'm holding off for now.

I'll echo the sentiments here that it doesn't make much sense for storm chasing. I completely understand the market though. I've gone on many trips where I'm constantly switching from the camcorder to the DSLR to shoot objects that will be there 3 minutes from now. I find it easier now just to take a good point and shoot with a good movie mode and use that for the majority of things. If I had a DSLR with a movie mode, that would be the only thing traveling with me.

The purchase of the T1i was a huge step for me, as I have been shooting with a point and shoot digital, and 35mm SLR up to this point. LOL I still use a digital 8 video camera...I don't upgrade very quickly!

manual video is what has me most interested. But like Mike said, you'd need two cameras....

If they update the firmware for the t1i, though, perhaps I can get manual video... (part of me thinks they'll hold off on that now though with this release)

I have a D90, which has the video option as well, and I would never use it over a regular HD camcorder for chasing. It is a great option to have on a camera, but I havent used the video for chasing once. It is great for sporting events or places you dont want to (or cant) carry around a camcorder. Unless the camera is steady the video does not do to well. Also the manual focus gets to be a pain unless you have the camera set just how you like and leave it there. I know these are 2 different cameras, but the major issues are still the same. If there is alot of lightning, the CMOS sensor is not going to do well. Regardless of the problems I love having that video option available. The 1080HD would be nice as the D90 is only 720HD

Here is a video I took at a concert last October just to give you an idea what kind of video you can get (the audio quality is horrible with loud sounds): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-TvSWRkFpc

If one is talking less than FX1000 you'd think these DSLR's with vid modes would completely trash everything else in the consumer HD vid cam market. And sounds like they trash it too. The noise levels have to be a lot better than the HD vid cams I have. Not sure about the others, but the 5D II has an input for an external mic if that is a concern. With storms focus won't be an issue either, slap it on manual infinity and leave it. But maybe there are other concerns like record format and editing. Just tooling around the low light rooms here with this cam, I gather the low light abilities are down right crazy. Sure it is a full fame, but even the crop sensors have larger sensors than most HD cams are going to have. I was thinking if I upgraded my vid cam(HV20 or HC1...both equally suck big time) that I'd for sure consider a T1i or T2i just for a video purpose(cheaper than the vid cams that give less quality in low light). Though I don't know a thing about their recording modes yet or any mic options. Video wise though I don't see them being a waste for chasing. Then you add in lens abilities...like ultrawide. Probably a great topic for a separate thread I guess.

Sensor size in inches.
DSLR
5D full frame 1.4 x .95
Rebel 1.6x crop sensor .85 x .6

Vid
Sony HC9 .3 x .3
Sony FX1000 .3 x .3 also but there are 3 of them in that case.

Shutter speed I'm sure matters and so far not seeing the manual mode on the 5D II even. Damn firmware supposed upgrade. I wonder what it is ISO'ing up to when the shutter speed gets "too low"/below 1/30th.

I am interested in this camera as well and almost got a t1i. I am glad I waited. I wish my pocket book could handle a 5DmkII, but it can't and it would be more comfortable taking a 800 dollar camera into weather conditions then a 2500 dollar one.

Sorry to thread jack, but what problems do you have with the HV20? For the price point and the fact that it is a consumer camera, it is exceptional. I love my hv20, but it does have *some* issues.

Low light noise it is pathetic. I probably need to figure out something other than 60i, but shouldn't have to when the sun has barely set, sometimes not set. The HV30 and HV40 have my interest though as they have 30p that is supposed to help a ton. But I just don't see them matching a DSLR with a much bigger sensor in it...for the same or less price.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV20-Camcorder-Review/Performance.htm

Yeah one needed to go to 24p to help the camera out in low light. I looked into it briefly but sounded like a headache to edit, some pull down stuff and some hoops to jump through.

Low light noise it is pathetic. I probably need to figure out something other than 60i, but shouldn't have to when the sun has barely set, sometimes not set. The HV30 and HV40 have my interest though as they have 30p that is supposed to help a ton. But I just don't see them matching a DSLR with a much bigger sensor in it...for the same or less price.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV20-Camcorder-Review/Performance.htm

Yeah one needed to go to 24p to help the camera out in low light. I looked into it briefly but sounded like a headache to edit, some pull down stuff and some hoops to jump through.

Oh right, I forgot about that. But that's always going to be problem unless you are willing to spend thousands of dollars on a camera.

BTW, all the cameras in the HV line are exactly the same physically. The firmware is changed in each model to update the "features." I know that there's a group of people looking to crack the firmware on the camera in order to unlock all the features the camera is capable of. Last time I checked, they were close but haven't done it yet. If you're willing to wait, you can save some money.

Back