Can I tether my phone to the laptop???

I tried to search and I am not sure if this has been discussed but here goes:

I have the Nokia E62 PDA from cingular. I have the unlimited "data plan" for around 40 dollars a month...I have called the customer service and am not real confident in they're knowledge as everytime I call them I get someone that seems like they are just "guessing"

I have read that I can get penalized for tethering my phone due to not having a "higher plan" anyone heard of this???

BTW it is not the "media net" package but a type of PDA add on.

"

I have read that I can get penalized for tethering my phone due to not having a "higher plan" anyone heard of this???

BTW it is not the "media net" package but a type of PDA add on.

Again this "threat" of tethering is mentioned. Of course the real issue here is using a notebook, phones generally can't download too much data. I know from past experience they have weasel words in the contract to get them out of about anything. There is no doubt the big cellular companies are pushing toward charging for the amount of data downloaded. Also, they want their customers to download to hand held devices as opposed to laptops. This would kill us in stormchasing because one satellite image is equal to hundreds of text messages. They cover themselves during digital music download by charging so much per each song. Remember, stormchasers were downloading data long before the masses, now almost everyone is using cellualr as a data source and juke box.

Here is an example of the mentality that's driving this trend:
http://news.com.com/RIM+chief+cautious+about+unlimited+wireless+data+plans/2100-1039_3-6079983.html

I have used both Cingular and Verizon for heavy downloads during the spring and have yet to be "spanked" for exceeding limits. I can relate my experience though. In the spring and other times of the year when I chase I tend to hook up and just leave it on. That is, I don't download much in February, but in March through June it's very high on chase days. That said, I don't chase all the time like some. I was told by Cingular if I downloaded too much they would demand I got on a streaming data plan. Additionally, the last time I read the small print in the contract it said similar words, that is, my plan could be terminated. From what I've read the worst they would do is demand the user take the full data plan as is sold with the Aircard. I think that's still about $80/month, correct?? As I've mentioned before I currently pay $25/ month. I will quickly let the group know (here and on WX-Chase) if I suddenly get ramped up to $80 or get kicked out, but so far so good.

Here are comments by AT&T on the subject, remember SBC (is Cingular) is now AT&T (headquarted here in San Antonio.)

OpEd: AT&T's "unlimited" data may have limits
Apr 27 2004 - 03:06 PM ET | AT&T Wireless, Data

We reported a few days ago that AT&T Wireless was starting up an unlimited data plan. Both T-Mobile and Cingular have similar plans (though still cheaper than AT&T Wireless'), so the announcement made since. It comes out today from an article over at Smartphone Thoughts that it might not really be unlimited:
"AT&T Wireless further reserves the right to move a subscriber from the Mobile Internet Unlimited PDA Plan to the standard $79.99 monthly unlimited Mobile Internet Data Plan, without notice, if the subscriber uses more than 100 megabytes of data in each of two consecutive months."
It makes sense there would be some sort of cap (running a file server off the connection should be against the terms of service), but 100MB can go pretty quickly. Why not put the cap in the gigabytes? Or just make it a case by case basis. Calling the service unlimited and then kicking out customers who use a moderate amount of data (3.3 megabytes a day) is quite similar to kicking customers out of an all you can eat buffet for eating to much.

It's pretty clear by the 2004 date on this story that AT&T has not been enforcing this. Will that change now that SBC and AT&T are one? Perhaps I've missed posts on this subject, I do tend to run hot and cold on Stormtrack. Finally, the trick may be not to call attention to yourself. Don't be greedy, for instance running radar loops when not necessary. One thing we still have on our side is the vicious competition for wireless customers.

Gene Moore

Howard Forums (www.howardforums.com) has numerous resources on tethering, and numerous first hand accounts of downloading high quantities of data. Cingular now has a mobile streaming video service which can be used on their 3G network and amounts to large downloads. From what I understand, the only users who have been removed from the lesser data plan ($19.95) have been those downloading large amounts of data on the 3G networks. In fact, there's a specific post on the forum which a Cingular customer states his phone was blocked from the 3G network, but he was still allowed to use the EDGE network after numerous large downloads.

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1038247&page=5&pp=15&highlight=a707+pictures

Follow the preceeding link to a specific thread discussing tethering on the cingular network. Pages 4-6 have VERY good information.

Scott W.

Howard Forums (www.howardforums.com) has numerous resources on tethering, and numerous first hand accounts of downloading high quantities of data. Cingular now has a mobile streaming video service which can be used on their 3G network and amounts to large downloads. From what I understand, the only users who have been removed from the lesser data plan ($19.95) have been those downloading large amounts of data on the 3G networks. In fact, there's a specific post on the forum which a Cingular customer states his phone was blocked from the 3G network, but he was still allowed to use the EDGE network after numerous large downloads.Scott W.

Problem is it's the 3G Network that most chasers tend to need the most. The EDGE or faster download connections are generally near big cities. When I'm out in the sticks like SW Kansas I'm usually connected to 3G, or at least is appears so from the 50k data speeds I'm getting.

When I originally got on my current data plan I went so far as to bring my laptop in to a Cingular store and they got everything set up for me.....but the service agreement states this illegal
icon13.gif
kinda funny, but sad. Shows many of the employees don't understand the limitations either, they just want to $ell as many phones and plans as possible. I guess I'll learn next spring when my service get's pulled. A good reason not to renew my contract.

Also, I spent a couple of hours this afternoon looking up complaints from both Cingular and Verizon customers about this problem....there were too many links to list. This issue is much bigger and more serious than I thought, but so far Verizon is making more people mad than Cingular....if that matters.

Gene

Thanks for some of the replys. I have the $40 pda data plan so it may not be a factor...I know what you mean when it comes to the sales/customer service people pushing features and services they know nothing about....The cell phone business is so cut throat these days....The connection speed per the computer is 460 kbps....

Gene, for cingular (i'm not sure about Verizon), the 3G network is only available in major cities, and the EDGE network is nearly nationwide.

Here is the EDGE map...
https://www.cingular.com/support/images/maps/nat_gprs.gif

If you want a 3G map, use this link...you must zoon to city level to get the 3G coverage and click the appropriate box...
http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/

Also, you may visit this link to get specific city data for the 3G network by using this link...
http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Gene, for cingular (i'm not sure about Verizon), the 3G network is only available in major cities, and the EDGE network is nearly nationwide.

Here is the EDGE map...

You're correct, I was somehow associating 3G to GSM, which I do get at the slower speeds. Of course that Cingular-GSM map link might work for phone, but it certainly is not accurate for data.

On one of my previous posts I searched back as far as I could to find articles about this ToS (termination of service) for too much down load. The result was about 2 1/2 years, yet it still gets headlines today. I had assumed storm chasers wern't down loading enough to trigger a response until I read about an automated system Cingular now uses....from a post on CFDG. It was at that time I begin to do an Internet search for complaints and lawsuits.

In summary there is little I, or any other chaser can do about this other than wait to see what happens. One thing that might be saving us is we do our heaviest down loads in the morning forecast period, that's usually accomplished on a motel LAN or WI-FI system, not through a cellular tower.

Gene

Do you have any information on Cingular's automated system? Last season I can remember a few occasions download over 100 MB of data in a day with hi-res satellite loops, automated downloads of surface data every 15 minutes, etc. Luckily most of my chasing is done as a guide with Tempest Tours, but I still do occasional spot chasing in the upper midwest when time allows.

I just bought the new A707 (SYNC) from Cingular. It's a great phone, but lacks a jack for an external antenna...which also eliminates the possible use of an amp. One thing I love about it is the relative ease of use for the software. I previously had to use cingular's universal connection software, but this phone has software specific to it, and the phone is seen by your computer as a high-speed modem without using the Cingular Connection Manager software.

I'm definitely interested in hearing more about Cingular's automated 'data-checking' system.

Here is the EDGE map...

If you want a 3G map, use this link...you must zoon to city level to get the 3G coverage and click the appropriate box...
http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/

Also, you may visit this link to get specific city data for the 3G network by using this link...
http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/popUp_3g.html

Those maps are not updated very often. There are many more citys with 3G now than listed on Cingulars coverage map.

Back