Camcorder recomendations

Jason A.C. Brock

If one were looking for a new camcorder what would you recommend. Price range up to 1500 id say and probably the best available imaging etc.
Thx. I have a Canon GR70 but am looking to get soemthing with maybe a little better imaging.
Jay

Many chasers (including myself) use the Sony VX2100. It's probably a bit more money than the $1500 you mentioned, but you may be able to find it near that mark. It's a 3CCD miniDV camcorder with excellent low-light performance. There are a few other 3 CCD camcorders out there for less money, though just make sure you look at the size of the CCDs. Generally speaking, the larger the CCDs, the better your low-light performance. You can opt for a HDV camcorder, but there's not really a delivery media available yet to let you watch the HDV video without having to use your camcorder. I suppose you could do HDV to 'future-proof' yourself, but from what I've heard, the low-light capabilities of the VX2100 are generally better than most consumer HDV pieces.

Try searching this forum as well, as I know camcorders have been discussion at length several times in the past year.

Just to echo Jeff... 3CCD is the way to go. Even if you have to go with used (I've seen several good offering in that price range on the used market).

3CCD gives you several things. Foremost is much better quality than the single chippers (though that is fast becoming a narrower margin). Sony has some offerings (the VX2100 being one of them), Canon having the GL1 and GL2 as the next "best in breed" cameras. JVC would be my next choice followed by Panasonic.

I currently use two cameras when I'm out. I have a Canon Opture 20 that stays mounted on my dash and a Sony DSR 200 that gets some occasional use.

Originally posted by John Diel
Just to echo Jeff... 3CCD is the way to go. Even if you have to go with used (I've seen several good offering in that price range on the used market).

3CCD gives you several things. Foremost is much better quality than the single chippers (though that is fast becoming a narrower margin). Sony has some offerings (the VX2100 being one of them), Canon having the GL1 and GL2 as the next \"best in breed\" cameras. JVC would be my next choice followed by Panasonic.

I currently use two cameras when I'm out. I have a Canon Opture 20 that stays mounted on my dash and a Sony DSR 200 that gets some occasional use.

Oh come now John. Everyone knows that the higher end Panasonic DVX100 isnt even in the same league as the gl1 or gl2. As far as JVC goes they still havent "shipped" < key word, anything yet that comes close.

Simply put. The DVX100a in my opinion and others in cinematography is unparalleled by any other camera. However that will soon change as we know the newer cameras are coming out that will trump all prior models of any manufacturer. 24p is the standard for docs etc.. Panasonic DVX100a is 24p and its beautiful.

Yes Sony products fair a little better in low light. But it is really a non issue in the big scope of things. I have never been dissapointed with my low light footage. Besides switch over to 60i and the low light dramatically improves and is comparable.

That new JVC HD cam reallly really catches my eye.. ill wait to see if it gains half the reputation that the DVX does, has or had.

I had a big pocket of money when i went to buy my cam. I studied well for a year or better and could of had any camera on the market.
I chose the DVX100A.

I'm going to be in the market for a new video camera next year and am doubting I'll even have $1500 to spend. From what I've seen and gather some of the "other" 3 chip cameras out there might not make a terrible difference when shooting storms. If I were to get one I'd only fork over the bucks for a vx-2000 or 2100 or one of the Canon's XL1 or such. In other words I'd make sure that it's not just 3 chip but works well in low light as well(some of the 3chip comparisons I've seen are pretty scary when it comes to lower light). So with that said, I'm starting to think of getting a decent older 1ccd cam, but one with a larger chip. This might be a worthy option that perhaps can get one into some lower prices, say <$1500. I wouldn't spend $1000 to $1500 on those newer 3ccd versions that don't work well in low light. I heard that Sony 950 that replaced the rather nice 900 took a huge step backwards in low light quality. Now the 1000 that replaced that(hc-1000 I think it was) looked like it was about the same. The low light comparisons to the real 3 chippers like the vx-2100 were outright scary. If one is going to "settle" for something short of the vx class I'd at least get something with a big fat chip in it, rather than a tiny tiny 3ccd that fails horribly in storm conditions.

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
I'm going to be in the market for a new video camera next year and am doubting I'll even have $1500 to spend. From what I've seen and gather some of the \"other\" 3 chip cameras out there might not make a terrible difference when shooting storms. If I were to get one I'd only fork over the bucks for a vx-2000 or 2100 or one of the Canon's XL1 or such. In other words I'd make sure that it's not just 3 chip but works well in low light as well(some of the 3chip comparisons I've seen are pretty scary when it comes to lower light). So with that said, I'm starting to think of getting a decent older 1ccd cam, but one with a larger chip. This might be a worthy option that perhaps can get one into some lower prices, say <$1500. I wouldn't spend $1000 to $1500 on those newer 3ccd versions that don't work well in low light. I heard that Sony 950 that replaced the rather nice 900 took a huge step backwards in low light quality. Now the 1000 that replaced that(hc-1000 I think it was) looked like it was about the same. The low light comparisons to the real 3 chippers like the vx-2100 were outright scary. If one is going to \"settle\" for something short of the vx class I'd at least get something with a big fat chip in it, rather than a tiny tiny 3ccd that fails horribly in storm conditions.

The difference in 3 chippers Mike is the 1/4 chip 3ccd's and the 1/3 chip ccds...

The Canon XL1, Sony PD150/170, Panasonic DVX100/100A are all 1/3 chippers.

The consumer grade cams and even the canon gl2 series are 1/4 chip and wont fair as well in low light.

Now of course all the manufacturers are putting on the market very soon and the HD chips arent fairing as well in low light as the others. We will see though..

The difference in 3 chippers Mike is the 1/4 chip 3ccd's and the 1/3 chip ccds...

Yes, I know. That is the difference in either, 3 chip or 1 chip. My point was you can find larger 1 chip cams out there for cheaper than a nice 3ccd cam with big chips. That is for those that don't have the endless pockets when buying a video camera. Sony's older digital 8s and mini dvs were usually 1/4. What did they do the last few versions? They chopped them down to 1/6...doh. Which sure works fine shooting street shots in the day light. Light gets low at all and bye bye quality.

Originally posted by Mike Hollingshead
Fred wrote:

I had a big pocket of money when i went to buy my cam. I studied well for a year or better and could of had any camera on the market.

And you didn't get this one!? :shock:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

hehe

LOL,

I can see now by rereading what I wrote that i set myself up for that one...lol

You know what i meant.. the sub 4k market. At least i think thats the market 99% of us poor stormchasers are in.. lol

I mean Im sure there are some chasers out their with their broadcast shoulder model cams with 10k + in it. I know i have seen them about frequently. I assumed it was the stations cam etc..

The higher end 3 chippers in the prosumer range.. ie , Sony PD, Canon XL, and Panasonic DVX are all easily capable of broadcast quality video. Many cable shows, tv shows and reality shows are using them now.

For $1500 you might be able to find a used VX2100 or TRV900, both great in low light and nice all-purpose chasing cams. New TRV900s are nonexistent though and it is even somewhat hard to find a good used one.

As far as low light, the VX2100's superiority is surprisingly huge. Subjects like auroras show the difference between the 1 lux and 4 lux on the TRV900. The 900 can barely get an image from an aurora while the VX2100 will start notching its iris closed because the picture is too bright!

If money is an issue, you might try finding a way to make your camera pay for at least some of its cost. You don't have to start a business, you could do one or two weddings or events that will enable you to get a new VX2100/PD170 or the HDR-FX1. As long as you can afford it and won't go into debt with the purchase, spending the extra money for a good camera (at least prosumer grade) will be worth it in the long run.

Now for some daydreaming. I've thought about shuffling some of my finances around and springing for a Panasonic AJ-SDC615:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...egoryNavigation

Those 2/3 inch CCDs on DVCPRO would be awesome. Even if I could afford a camera like that right now, I would be so apprehensive about taking it out in the elements to shoot storms that it would defeat the purpose!

What do you guys think about the Sony HDR-HC1. It's a little pricey, but may come down to Jason's price range by next chase season. What are the pitfalls of shooting HD format? Can you still make DVDs on your PC with a firewire and standard software like Adobe Premier or MS Movie Maker?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP....ers-hero-HDRHC1

From B&H Photo:
Meet Sony's incredibly small high-definition camcorder: the HDR-HC1E. This camcorder is just under a pound and a half, yet has tons of features.

First, it has 1080i resolution, so you shoot in real HDTV. Second, it uses HDV, which brings the resolution of HD to a tape the size of a Mini DV cartridge. Menu options are easy to choose, thanks to the 2.7\" widescreen LCD SwivelScreen monitor. Super NightShot and Super SteadyShot Pro ensure great video under any conditions. Manual focus, zoom, shutter speed and white balance put you in total control. Sony goes one better than a CCD by using a CMOS sensor to generate images. This three-megapixel CMOS processes faster than a CCD for richer color and better detail. The Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T lens also adds color and detail, plus reduces glare with its special T coating.

As impressive as the HDR-HC1 is as a camcorder, it gets even better as a 2.8 megapixel digital still camera. Store images on Memory Stick DUO Pro media and use the slot on the camera to view them. You can even shoot HD video and take a 1-megapixel still at the same time. Connect to a PC through USB or i.LINK to edit or share video. PictBridge lets you print photos directly from your compatible printer without a computer. The world of high-definition video is waiting, and Sony's HDR-HC1 proves it's a small world after all.

I did a ton of research before buying my new camcorder for the 2005 season. I wanted to pay less than $1,500 and have something that would shoot great in low light and is 3ccd.
The answer is the Panasonic GS400. The primary feature needs I just listed were met easily by this camera plus it had some of the "consumer" features I like too... A large flip-out screen, side opening deck so I don't have to release the unit from my tripod to change tapes, 4.1mp camera that shoots while I am filming, a wired remote, wireless remote, nice on-the-fly editing features, manual zoom/focus with lens ring, etc., etc., etc.
The ONLY issue I have with this camera is it does not have an infinity setting. I have learned how to use the manual focus though for night-time lightning shots as well as "through the rain-drop covered windshield" shots and have been very impressed with the end product.
If anyone is interested in learning more than they ever wanted to know about the Panasonic GS400, visit http://www.pana3ccduser.com
The GS400 is listed on Amazon.com for $1,350 right now.

Originally posted by Steve Miller OK
I did a ton of research before buying my new camcorder for the 2005 season. I wanted to pay less than $1,500 and have something that would shoot great in low light and is 3ccd.
The answer is the Panasonic GS400. The primary feature needs I just listed were met easily by this camera plus it had some of the \"consumer\" features I like too... A large flip-out screen, side opening deck so I don't have to release the unit from my tripod to change tapes, 4.1mp camera that shoots while I am filming, a wired remote, wireless remote, nice on-the-fly editing features, manual zoom/focus with lens ring, etc., etc., etc.
The ONLY issue I have with this camera is it does not have an infinity setting. I have learned how to use the manual focus though for night-time lightning shots as well as \"through the rain-drop covered windshield\" shots and have been very impressed with the end product.
If anyone is interested in learning more than they ever wanted to know about the Panasonic GS400, visit http://www.pana3ccduser.com
The GS400 is listed on Amazon.com for $1,350 right now.

Within the price range listed Steve is correct. If i had any choice of any camera below 1500$ I would buy the gs400

Not to ditto the above 2 comments....but I have had my pv-gs400 since April this year and I love it. I have shot many tapes thru it and you need to clean the heads if you fast forward view your tapes ( I like to watch tornadoes in fast forward) Im also having a problem with the firewire jack which I will have to send it back for. Its a pleasure to operate, leave it on the tripod and change tapes in seconds. I have it on a camera platform in my ford explorer..and have driven over 7000 miles of back Oklahoma-Texas-Kansas roads..no problems to speak of. The large lcd screen lets you drive and shoot with out having accidents trying to look into a view finder. Low light shooting I would rate 8 out of a 10....Panasonic service centers are scarce and always out of state. They do return phone calls..but that doesnt do any good when your chasing the big one on saturday afternoon and have a problem. I recommend 3 or more batteries in the field and a 110 volt car converter to run it from. SHOP AROUND for the head cleaner!!!! you will need one and not easy to get..it will run you$18. The batteries on ebay ship from Japan at $16 including shipping...if you buy them local.WHOA!!! $70-90. I have a quick disconnect on my tripods and camera platform..(LIFESAVER)The camera has more functions than I will ever realize or use...but its a great camera and with 4 meg still pictures..... I almost never break out my 35mm camera any more. END OF COMMERCIAL

Back