Call for staff members -- 3 openings

As Stormtrack moves forward through a tragic and pivotal moment in our history, we find ourselves short on staff members. Last week Bob Hartig stepped down after a number of years helping with the site. He was a great addition to the staff and we will miss his presence on the staff forum, though he will continue to be a regular member here on the site.

We're at a point where we need to take on more help immediately to handle the tail end of chase season together with the runup in interest in ST since the recent OKC storms, and to keep us going as tropical cyclone season sets in.

As far as the job, I use "staff member" kind of interchangeably with "moderator" as I see moderation as only one of the responsibilities. Staff members voice the opinions of the membership and engage in discussions with myself to help shape the future of the site. During my absence earlier this year and part of last year, staff members have also been a great help to run ST with delegated authority and have often called or texted me when the server has needed to be restarted.

So, are you interested? You may toss your name into the ring by just replying and indicating your interest. You can post your qualifications either in this thread or in the poll thread if you wish. All names will be posted in a poll that will begin around the end of this week and run for 7 days, and we'll pick the top three unless there is some sort of reason why we think a candidate isn't a good fit. Qualifications will be along the lines of time here and posting history, maturity, impartiality, and so forth. Chasing accomplishments are NOT as important as quality in your post history and making a good addition to ST. Job responsibilities are being on ST at least every few days and an ability to discuss issues on the staff forum and deal with them as they come up.

This is a popular vote, but I understand that many of you do not want to be in a popularity contest, so the poll results and rankings will be kept confidential. If you're curious how many votes you got and how you placed, I will divulge that info to you afterward. We are not hand-picking anyone right now but if you are *exceptionally* well qualified to be on the staff, not just typical credentials of a veteran chaser, and are interested in being fast-tracked onto the staff, you can e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll give you consideration (allow a few days since I'm on the road right now). Fast-trackers would be along the lines of SPC/NWS staff, noteworthy research participants or peer-reviewed journal contributors, and so forth.

Many thanks for your interest and I hope we work up a great staff as we head into what's left of spring 2013.

Tim Vasquez

EDIT: Two edits.. see my comments 2 replies down.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may feel unqualified if you don't chase regularly, but I think this is an advantage actually. Most of us are out chasing on the big days, not reading or monitoring the forums. Stormtrack then takes a lower priority when something significant happens such as Friday's events. So please step up. I consider a moderator spot to be a janitorial type position, mostly shuffling posts around and keeping the flow of conversation smooth. It's not something that requires a veteran chaser, just somebody who is interested in volunteering, knows their way around the forum, and has the time.

I apologize where I said that there had been zero traffic on the staff forum... my iPad (the only connectivity I had this morning) was bringing up a cached forum page that suggested my initial post on Saturday was the last one. The current moderators are in fact active. We do still need additional moderators.

Lesson learned.. I will be more careful on my i-devices.

I would love to help out wherever possible. I have been a member of ST since early 2010 and I am on the site pretty much daily. I work as a sysadmin so the majority of my day is spent at a desk but I do chase most major events in the southern/central plains as well as a majority of the slight risk events within a days return from DFW. I am self taught in forecasting and well versed in the technologies that accompany chasing in this day and age. I would be more than happy to lend my services to the forum that helped me get my start.

I would enjoy being able to help with ST with anything. I have been a spotter/chaser since the later 90's and have worked in IT just as long. I am currently employed as a systems engineer so I have a great technical background. My college degree is in marketing. I am more of a lurker on ST and have hardly any posts but I have have moderated other forums in the past. Nonetheless, I would like to assist in any capacity.

I'll throw my hat in the mix. I'm usually on the forum every day and only chase the local stuff for the most part. I'd be glad to help out.

I could help. My background includes nearly ten years of storm warning meteorology at AccuWeather Enterprise Solutions out of Wichita, KS. When I was there it was called WeatherData Inc. I’ve spent the last several years in the energy sector, which allows more time for checking Stormtrack during Plains severe weather events. Being in the Southeast now, I only chase the Plains once a year which was May 18-20 this year. All of last week I was able to check Stormtrack from the office and home. I was also nowcasting for friends in the field, along with adding a couple posts in the Target Area.

While I’m a recent parent without a ton of time, I have enough time to check every few days – esp the Target Area. At AMS last winter an awards winner spoke of giving back to the Community. If voted in, I’m ready to do so. If not I know there are many qualified people offering to help. Good luck to all!

Have this page on all day - usually about 16 hrs a day. Semi-retired and managing a farm in Iowa from CA allows me to be online. Used to be a mod/admin for the WorldWideRadioForum for over a year. Am somewhat familiar with the older version of vBulliten software use. If you need some help Tim, ya know I will do what I can.

I'm probably one of the most unqualified people for this however, whenever someone asks for assistance I always stick out my hand.

I've been here since the summer of 2011 and I am mostly a lurker so I do not have many posts. I still have a lot to learn about weather and forecasting. I do not chase but, I am a Skywarn weather spotter. I have been a moderator on other forums and for the most part can navigate my way around quickly. I am on my computer every single day, maybe not on this site but, I would make it a part of my daily routine if needed to help out. I enjoy working together with others to complete a task and can be rather impartial in my decision making.

I don't know if this specifically applies, but not looking to have a staff position or moderator abilities, but if there is a need for some assistance with graphics for the site or re-configuring the front page to WordPress (html/css coding) or something, I would love to oblige. WordPress has quite a few weather plugins that the current front page has, just makes it look better. :)

Last call for anyone who wants to help out. I'll give it another 24 hours before we put the poll up.

Greg: Yeah, that pseudoscience stuff can start going into Bar & Grill where it belongs.

The once-annually visit was about a month ago; don't look for any owner participation for several months.

Back