Call for photos, content for the Storm Chasing Event Archive

Please feel free to post comments or submissions in this thread!

We have finished filling out a preliminary list of every storm chase event I could think of or find from the 1970s to present, and listed them in the Storm Chasing Event Archive.

http://stormtrack.org/weather-library/storm-chasing-event-archive/

Now, we need your help!

First, I know there are still some events missed that should be included. Post those in this thread and we'll add them.

Second, and more importantly, the event listings that don't have hyperlinks (also marked with two asterisks **) are the ones that we need event summaries written, pictures donated, and radar/charts/links collected. Some of the older events have event pages, but still need content collected.

This appears daunting, but what we're hoping for is that for each event, there will be someone who actually chased it and/or has a special fondness or interest in the event enough to do the writeup. I think that this will be a long-term project that may take years to complete, but we figure if we get 20 contributors, we can finish the project much sooner!

The criteria for listing an event here is simply that it needs to one with tornadoes, notable supercells or otherwise famous/noteworthy storm events where multiple chasers embarked on planned storm chases. In other words, something like La Plata, MD or Xenia, OH wouldn't be listed here, because those weren't events covered by any chasers. We'd like to keep the list concise and strictly chaser-centric, yet as complete as possible.

Here are examples of completed event pages. We'd like to accomplish this for all of the events:

May 12, 2004 Attica, Kansas tornado:
https://stormtrack.org/weather-libr...y-12-2004-attica-and-harper-kansas-tornadoes/

April 14, 2012 tornado outbreak:
http://stormtrack.org/weather-libra...ril-14-2012-oklahoma-kansas-tornado-outbreak/

Storm chaser web sites and social media posts come and go, and as a result, many past events are fading from memory. The event archive is meant to be a permanent historical resource for the storm chasing and weather community, one that will be there in the future for old and new chasers alike. But, we need your help to make it a reality.

Again, feel free to post content and submissions right here in this thread, and we'll migrate it over to the appropriate page.

Style guide for pictures:

Submit only photos you have taken yourself (you own the rights)
Photo height: 200 pixels (for uniform height), maximum width 300 pixels (we can do the resizing for you)
Watermark your photos with your name clearly legible
Photos will only be used on the event page.

Weather Charts and Radar images:
Any size, make thumbnail versions a uniform 150 pixels high for each image (again, we can do this for you if you provide the full size image)
Use only public-domain charts and images (from NWS/NOAA sources)

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Last edited:
Are you looking for strictly tornado pictures? I have a couple pre-tornado pictures from last year I can contribute. Also the July 15th, 2015 Monmouth event listed should be changed to July 16th.

Are you looking for strictly tornado pictures? I have a couple pre-tornado pictures from last year I can contribute. Also the July 15th, 2015 Monmouth event listed should be changed to July 16th.

Kevin, yes, for now, we're going to limit things to tornado pictures for the sake of simplicity/brevity.

Eudora KS 4-25-09 (Crossed over the rest stop on I-70)
Garden City KS 4-29-09 (Took out the dairy farm resulting in a lot of cattle losses)
Princeton KS 6-20-09 (LP Tornado with great structure)

Here is one that I don't think many were on...

April 28, 2014 - Tupelo, Mississippi
10d01a2fa3a19339a6f62c70034a4e7b.jpg

I may upload more later on, just pulled this off my Facebook, since nearly all my photos are on external hard drives, and I don't have access to those right now.

Now that the long, cold winter season is settling in, it's a great time to look back on this year's chasing events and record them for posterity. We've finished populating the list of 2016 events and are in need of photos and summaries for each date:

http://stormtrack.org/weather-library/storm-chasing-event-archive/2016-events/

If you are interested in writing a summary or contributing photos, please post them here in this thread.

We also have many past events open to be filled, so any contributions are welcome. The main Event Archive page is here:

@Dan Robinson, here is a short summary for the July 5th, 2016, Holloway, Minnesota tornadoes, along with 2 photos.

July 5th, 2016, featured zonal 500mb flow at around 40 knots across the northern plains running along the southern edge of a long wave trough located across southern Canada. Just south of this stronger flow aloft was a weak surface low and warm front triple point forecast to migrate slowly eastward into west-central Minnesota through the evening. As the afternoon progressed, strong surface heating along with dewpoints in the low to mid 70s south of the warm front contributed to high cape values. This buoyancy was also boosted by a strong EML pushing in from the southwest, where mid level lapse rates were steep, in the 7.5-8 C/km range. Surface convergence ahead of the triple point became strong enough around 130pm-2pm in the afternoon to initiate the first thunderstorms of the day. These cells moved slowly southeast along the weak warm front and eventually the southern flank of cells attained solid supercell structures. Around 3pm in the afternoon, the dominant supercell in the cluster was able to produce 2 weak tornadoes near Appleton/Holloway, Minnesota. The tornadoes did little to no damage and were fairly short lived. The low level shear on this day was not overwhelming, and likely limited the number of tornado reports, as the buoyancy and deep layer shear were more than adequate to produce better tornado numbers. Also, PWATs were very high and the stronger anvil level flow was displaced well north of the thunderstorm initiation area, leading to HP structures... a common occurrence for Minnesota during the summer months.

3e2d6c005ad99d42ef0ea30068dd37c5.gif
7a0c82703c06dff71f54403c2a9d3036.png
0e2ff5fafbf813d6b16fbc46a15965c4.gif
34475846cade7c7de.jpg

34475846cb37cf8ff.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see anything from May 16th, so here are a few photos from that day. The first was a tornado that I don't think many saw because of the path they took heading sse from Wheeless, OK. This was taken approximately 1.5 miles southwest of Wheeless from N0020 Rd. The next was the Felt tornado, taken at the intersection of Hwy 412 and N0070 Rd. The last was a brief tornado northwest of Dalhart.

I drove from Nashville, TN to Weatherford, OK on May 15th and then got up early on the 16th and made the drive to Kenton, OK. From Kenton, I ended up west of Wheeless, OK and then worked my way south and southeast from there. I saw 5 brief tornadoes (2 near Wheeless, Felt, and 2 northwest of Dalhart). After this, I sat east of Channing and watched and amazing supercell that worked its way to near Masterson where I got owned by baseball sized hail (picture from there also with OU Raxpol). My best friend was working at NWS AMA at the time and issued the warning on this storm, so he still gives me a hard time for the hail dents and busted plastic...simply got caught up in the moment and got lazy. After this, I traveled on south to Amarillo and then followed it all to the east on I40, stopping for the night in Weatherford and then back to Nashville the next day as the pattern was going quiet for a few days. I was back out on the 21st for the rest of the month and many more tornadoes.untitled-1-4.jpg untitled-1-6.jpg untitled-1-8.jpg untitled-1-11.jpg

Now that the long, cold winter season is settling in, it's a great time to look back on this year's chasing events and record them for posterity. We've finished populating the list of 2016 events and are in need of photos and summaries for each date:

http://stormtrack.org/weather-library/storm-chasing-event-archive/2016-events/

If you are interested in writing a summary or contributing photos, please post them here in this thread.

We also have many past events open to be filled, so any contributions are welcome. The main Event Archive page is here:

July 7th Eureka Kansas should be added

We have a few photos from chase partners shown below.

1.jpg
2.jpg
Power Flashes Night Mode Vortices.jpg
Power Flashes.jpg
Velocity.jpg

A couple did not show above for some reason ... try again.

Here is the highest rated tornado ever to hit Kansas in July
1.jpg

Here is a power flash from the Eureka tornado as it is hitting the town
1.jpg

Attachments

• Power Flashes Night Mode Vortices.jpg
    Power Flashes Night Mode Vortices.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 1
Back