burning dvds

I bought a laptop off eBay (Dell), that supposedly played DVDs. After a few months, I decided to play a DVD while up north, only to discover I had been scammed, and there was in fact no DVD player :twisted:

I e-mailed the guy who sold it, and he told me that I was outside of my "10 day DOA warranty". Seems like if he lied, his damn warranty should have been void :twisted: :twisted:

Does it say DVD rom or DVD RW?

I am with Morgan on this one. While dual format DVD burners are out there, most mass produced computers come with a single format burner. It is cheaper. I am trying to remember what format Dell is notorious for, but do now that + is more prevalent than -. If it were an HP, I would know more. It should be stated in your manual or go to dell.com and download the info on your model.
Most combo (CD/DVD) burners are single format too, in mass produced models.

rdewey- I would definately complain to Ebay on that one. Regardless of the time that has expired, you were duped and they have laws on that. Check the site to find out how to complain about a bad purchase. If it was via PayPal (verified account), you can complain and get your $$ back in certain instances. Not sure on the particulars, but sure worth checking out.

DVD Burners have a blocked RW symbol on them to represent the writing ability of DVDs. CD burners have the ReWritable under the CD ROM icon. Check for that for visual confirmation to see whether it burns DVDs or just CDs.

I am looking at putting an internal combo drive in my nearly antique computer. DVD +/- RW and CD RW.
Question, with a dual format burner...which format is better or is one superior over another for different types of storage (pics, documents, etc)? I want the storage capacity of a DVD for my large picture files and the ability to (at some point) store video.

Carrie DVD- is more versatile to most DVD players.. DVD+ is the newer format which at the current time is emerging technology. The pioneer A07 is troublefree and less problematic than others.. I have studied alot about this so Im speaking of hands on as wel as multiple hours of studies and reviews..

The Pioneer A07 is dual format so that you wont have to worry about format constraints. You will find that at the current time DVD- is less expensive media and moreso standardized.

Back