burning dvds

Dan Cook

EF5
My laptop came with a dvd burner, so I decided to test it out today. I had a couple DVDrs, so I made a test DVD with Ulead DVD movie theator. It wouldn't recignize that there was a dvd in the drive. So I put in a CDR and it burned fine. I was able to view it as a DVD on my laptop, but my dvd player wouldn't play it.

Any ideas what went wrong?

I didn't think this was really an issue anymore, but there are some DVD burners and players that will not recognize a DVD-R... others a DVD+R....

The plus and minus are two different formats. Might check your manual or try the "reverse polarity" if you will.

A plus instead of a minus... etc.

Maybe others have better ideas.

MP

when your software creates a DVD as you say.. Does it create 2 files??? Audio_TS and Video_TS???? That then burns to a DVD? Or does it just create (1) MPEG 2 file??? MPEG 2 file yu then burn to a DVD?

or are you burning to a CD? and if so what?? 1 file?? or a file rendered for DVD in file format as stated above

Let me know :) thanks..

Fred

On the CD are those 2 folders. I load that into my laptop and it plays like a normal DVD. I burned a 30 second AVI from my digital camera as a test.

Ok so your DVD player may or may not play a VCD or the same as a video CD. sounds that it doesnt .. And in addition your laptop with its DVD burner doesnt recognize a DVD through what Ulead software???

Your laptop wont recognize the DVD is your issue??

i think Dan it is an issue with ULEAD software recognizing your DVD burner.. Go into the software and look under tools or settings.. Somewhere i think there will be a setting to see what drive you want to burn too..

your DVD codec in your viewing software is recognizing the DVD but ULEAD isnt.. try that and get back to me.. k see if there is a setting in ULEAD to pick the burner you want to burn too.. you have to tell it DVD as opossed to CD . Make sense? If you done that already let me know and we'll find another path.... k

how are you watching a regular DVD in it?? with Media Player, Cyberlink ???

Also.. some DVD burners burn only DVD- some burn only DVD+ as Morgan stated..

how are you watching a regular DVD in it?? with Media Player, Cyberlink ???

Also.. some DVD burners burn only DVD- some burn only DVD+ as Morgan stated..

I'm using "Dell Media Center". Came with the notebook.

Now, don't beat me up 'cause I'm just asking...but are you sure it's not a CD burner, and maybe just a read only DVD player? I have a Dell laptop that I can burn CD's and play DVD's, but it will not burn DVD's.

I had a friend who had the same symptons as you, and it turned out his laptop was not a DVD burner, only a CD burner. But it would play DVD's. But the way Dell had it listed, it appeared the drive would burn DVD's also.

Now, don't beat me up 'cause I'm just asking...but are you sure it's not a CD burner, and maybe just a read only DVD player? I have a Dell laptop that I can burn CD's and play DVD's, but it will not burn DVD's.

I had a friend who had the same symptons as you, and it turned out his laptop was not a DVD burner, only a CD burner. But it would play DVD's. But the way Dell had it listed, it appeared the drive would burn DVD's also.

Don't know. But if it was only a readable, should it not burn the disks?

Don't know. But if it was only a readable, should it not burn the disks?

A DVD read only drive will not burn DVD's just as a CD-ROM drive will not burn CD's. Look on the front of the CD tray to see if it says DVD-RW or just DVD with a CDRW.

Im sorry dude.. i assumed you were right when you said it was a burner.. i feel so stupid.. i always assume and that always gets me in trouble.. It always irritates me when you talk to tech support.. and the simplistic questions are asked.. is it plugged in?? lol..
If your unsure then more than likely it isnt. a dvd burner in a laptop is a big too do at this time..

It always irritates me when you talk to tech support.. and the simplistic questions are asked.. is it plugged in?? lol..

I know how you feel. When diagnosing a computer problem I always start out like " This might seems a stupid question but...." and many times that is the problem, something simple. The old saying "Can't see the forest for the trees" comes to mind.

Back