Broke But Repairable Canon XTi (400D) SLR Camera

I am taking offers on a slightly used (Don't even think I have hit 2500 pics yet) Canon 400d XTi. The camera is being sold as is, as it has a problem with the CF slot, other than that it works perfect. There is a broken pin in the CF slot that causes the camera to read a message Err CF 99. I have been told by Canon that it is a relatively easy fix, though Canon wants $200 to fix. I have been contemplating upgrading anyway, and figured this would be the time to do so. So I am selling this camera, with the hopes that someone can fix the problem themselves or has a hook up to get it fixed relatively cheap, the part needed can be purchased online for under $20 a mere $14.95 here… http://www.uscamera.com/ws1-7364.htm I would repair it then sell it, but haven’t a clue on how to take the camera exterior off and solder that piece on, otherwise it can be sent to Canon or taken to nearest camera shop and be repaired for at the higher cost. Other than the mentioned problem the Camera is in Absolute mint condition, not so much as a scratch anywhere on the thing and it is completely free of dust. I have the box, and all original paper work with the camera, so if you’re good at repairing things you could have a practically brand new camera for cheap. As for an asking price, I really had a hard time coming up with one, I was hoping to hear some offers, the value is REALLY going to vary based on the individual, given this one is essentially mint with low picture count and given the price of used XTi's, someone with the skills could fix this one for $15, meaning for some people $350 would be a steal. Though I think I would let the camera slide for $250 and if it didn't sell there I would consider lower offers. However if the offers get to low, I'll just merely send it in for the fix and sell it as a fully operation camera, as the value is far greater than the cost of having it fixed by Canon; I just figured I would give someone with some electronic repair skills a shot at a steal first...

I would suggest checking sale prices on EBay too for broken XTis. I had a similar situation with a Nikon D40, where it would cost me $200 to get it fixed. There are people on EBay who will pay good money to buy them for spare parts.

I would suggest checking sale prices on EBay too for broken XTis. I had a similar situation with a Nikon D40, where it would cost me $200 to get it fixed. There are people on EBay who will pay good money to buy them for spare parts.

I doubt anyone will opt to use this one as spare parts, as even paying the large amount to have Canon fix it is only about half the value of the camera; If I put it on Ebay, it will likely be some camera shop that buys it, fixes it and then turns around and sells it for twice as much. :rolleyes: If no crafted electronic people on here snatch it up in the next couple days, I'll just send it in and have Canon repair it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah...I would have grabbed it, because I'm sure I could have fixed it. But I'm not ready for the project, nor can I spare anything. I really hope some grabs it, because I'm with you...don't feel like selling to someone who would turn around and just sell it, leaving you without the profit, and without the camera.

There is a broken pin in the CF slot that causes the camera to read a message Err CF 99. I have been told by Canon that it is a relatively easy fix, though Canon wants $200 to fix.

Wow... is it out of warranty? I told them how I was a loyal customer of theirs (own a 20D and D30), and my wife's XTI was the first ever camera of ours to ever break/bend a pin in the CF slot. They repaired it for free under warranty thankfully.

Back