Broadband and streaming

Well, I am finially getting the satellite broadband setup installed. I have decided to go with WildBlue and the pro package (1.5Mbps download speed)...$299 for the hardware and free installation. $80 per month for the service (ouch), but when you live out in the middle of nowhere, the choices are limited. There are two other plans ($50 for 512Kbps and $70 for 1.0Mbps), but for the small amount of extra cash, I decided to go with the speed.

I am also thinking about streaming the OKC NOAA Weather Broadcast, once I find out if it is legal to do so. I will also stream the ham radio and both Oklahoma County and Lincoln County EM Spotter broadcasts (once I get the equipment setup).

Dialup was getting very old.

From what I have read Chris (and is typical with DirecPC/DirecWay) your upspeeds in reality are going to be a fraction of the down speeds, and sometimes a fraction of the advertised upspeeds. Plus, they have a policy in place where they FAP anyone that they consider is using too much bandwidth in a specific period of time. When you get FAPped, they choke off your speeds until you quit using what they consider too much.

Just something to think about.

From what I have read Chris (and is typical with DirecPC/DirecWay) your upspeeds in reality are going to be a fraction of the down speeds, and sometimes a fraction of the advertised upspeeds. Plus, they have a policy in place where they FAP anyone that they consider is using too much bandwidth in a specific period of time. When you get FAPped, they choke off your speeds until you quit using what they consider too much.

Just something to think about.
[/b]
That is interesting. Didn't know that. I have Wild Blue for backup. It seems to be decent. It does go down during big storms...at least until the storms move out. Not every storm...but some.

Yeah, you can google DirecWay FAP and find a few pissed off people. I suspect it was the ones doing file sharing but who knows. When I was on DirecPC I never had my downspeed FAPed and we ran three computers off of it. But if you were streaming stuff like Chris was talking about, I would think the potential to get FAPed was there.

You get the "rain fade" i.e. loss of service on any satellite bases service like that, how often you see it depends on how picky your installer was about lining the dish up. I sold and installed tons of DirecTV and DirecWay systems back in 1999. I did my own and usually only get the rain fade on the heaviest of rain showers or if the dish was covered in snow (not a big problem here in west texas) like I would get it maybe 3 or 4 times a year tops. I was very picky about the dish alignment. I understand the farther north and east you live, the more likely you are to see the rain fade.

I would probably only stream during weather events. System is installed and all I can say is THANK GOD!!! LOL...I have definately missed having broadband for the last 2 years.

From what I have read Chris (and is typical with DirecPC/DirecWay) your upspeeds in reality are going to be a fraction of the down speeds, and sometimes a fraction of the advertised upspeeds.
[/b]

Yes. I have Charter Cable Modem. Download speeds are great, but upload speed is only 15 Kb. It makes for very slow video uploads.

Holy cow! That sucks for upload speed even for cable! A rule of thumb it's generally half your download speed, or should be.

I am blessed with high speed wireless service here. I just ran a test on it and I am getting 934.7 kbps and that is BOTH ways. In the wee hours it will get up to 1100-1200 when everyone else on it has gone to bed.

Back