Biggest hail experience?

Hi,

Admittadely, this year produced some very large reported hail events. Harper supercell had 5.25 inch hail measured and the 29th May OK supercell had reports on live TV radio Garry England that 5 inch hailstones were being reported. I would not doubt it either. These were huge storms on this day!!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Originally posted by Jimmy Deguara
Hi,

Admittadely, this year produced some very large reported hail events. Harper supercell had 5.25 inch hail measured and the 29th May OK supercell had reports on live TV radio Garry England that 5 inch hailstones were being reported. I would not doubt it either. These were huge storms on this day!!

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

I remember that on may 12th near Danville, a man on his car strongly damaged by the heavy and large hail, came near our car, telling us to stop driving because of the large hail that have just fallen down...At the first moment he looked like a psycho that wanted to kill us but then we understood that he wanted to help us :)

What concerned me on this day 12th May 2004 Andrea were that despite very large hailstones and lightning, some spotters (I would assume) were on their pickup trucks rather than inside. Not the best for safety.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

best hail for me may 29

Racing south from underneath a funnel cloud on May 29 south of St Joseph, MO , I ran into marble and bigger sizes hail. The "bonking" noise on the roof was distinctive as I yelped on my camcorder. I videotaped some on the road as they bounced around and then got to a rest stop. There are saw two tornadoes to the North, the big Dearborn one and just to the west, a roping white one.

Dr.Eric Flescher ([email protected]),Olathe, KS -Storm Satori-http://members.aol.com/kcstormguy/stormsatori/stormsatori.htm
, 2004

The biggest hail I documented was from my May 10 storm near the Wyoming border that dropped 2 inch hail. However, the biggest stones I've seen came while filming the Attica Tornado on May 12; although the three stones that crashed down in our area I never really saw 'cept for them wizzing by my view, one left a 6 inch diameter crater in the ground about 3 feet in front of me. After two more landed behind me, I hid in my car for the rest of the tornado!

hail

Tony I remeber the 12th we have a baseball wizzing through our video lense, that almost hit david the guy I was with. I think though my most memorable Hail experience would have to be May 22 2004 in Blair NE. I had raced all the way from michigan starting at 7am and made it to the NE IA border just as they all started to pop. id say thats record time, I found my self in Blair when a hook echo supercell merged with another cell in front of it and caught me off guard :oops: nice baseball 3-3.5 inch hail. got a few dents before i found some cover under the GAS station pump roof. A guy came in next to me with his whole windsheild smashed out. that had to suck.

2004 was probably one of the best years for all types of severe weather in general; but chasing in the Upper Midwest this year, I never got past 1.25" hail (Detroit - May 6th, 2004).

My biggest hail expierence would be sometime in July 1997, where baseball sized hail smashed my house and filled my backyard. It destroyed parts of our roof, and did some damage to our house siding.

I've never got much bigger than 1" hail while actually chasing; as I try my best to stay out of the hail shafts and I almost never corepunch a storm. :)

This years hail

I never saw any hail bigger than about 1.50 inches in diameter this year. I enjoy seeing large hail just as much as a tornado and have not lost a single window during the past 6 years of chasing! I will be protecting my windows more in 2005 though just incase my luck runs out.

Back