We did not get all that close to Dodge either. Heck after waiting with everyone else, we swung all the way out to Ford, KS and back lol! The route did give us excellent pictures of the wall cloud and all the way out to mid-level structure. That whole storm was... Well as Cousin Eddie says, Clark she was a beaut!

Can't blame yourself for 2014 and 2015 when best action was before climo super peak. I did not attempt 2017 and even 2018 was half-hearted. 2018 yielded a boozy night of karaoke in Wichita though. Rock You Like a Hurricane is about weather, right?

Some famous tornadoes do not show up on either of my lists, success or bust. In those cases I simply did not chase. Couple of them I was on shift in Wichita. More recent years I was not on chase vacation. Still enjoy reading about Campo, Pilger, Conway Springs, and the other legends.

Anyway thank you everyone for making this thread fun. Keep posting if you have not yet. I got a great feeling about 2019!

Lots of favorites over the last 30 years, but two stand out. The loaded gun supercell NE of Pampa, TX on May 28, 1994, produced the first two images below. The close-up picture was used for Twister. It was my best "single" stock image sale of all time, fetching $20k for unlimited promotional use. Now days, you would be lucky to get $200.00. The third image was taken near Attica, KS on May 29, 2004. The periods of May 22-24 and May 29-30 produced so many tornadoes, I stopped counting and will never know the total. This was one of my best stock images (when stock was profitable) because it had the "perfect" tube and framing that clients wanted. It was also the first tornado captured on motion picture film (35mm). By the end of this outbreak, I had tornado overload, so I had time to plan and shoot goofy promo shots or eat a bag of Fritos as they passed.

T03.jpg

T01.jpg

T68.jpg

CH-33.jpg

Back