Best low-end camcorders

I am so far happy with the Panasonic PV-GS150 3 chip, and it was roughly 550. (Purchased it at Circuit city with the "accidental" 2 year plan :) The only thing I don't like about it is the manual focus is controlled by a joystick instead of a ring. Other than that the quality is great. The 250 with the ring went on sale for about a hundred more, last weekend. :x

Yeah Dick i grabbed the 250. I want to try it out soon to see how it does. I still have till the 13th to return it if i dont like it. So far I like it very well. Easy to use and the Focus ring rocks.

Dick, Kurt are you two satisfied with the 12x optical zoom? My new camcorder only has a 10x optical zoom, which is fine for the nonchase shoots I am going to use it for, but it would create a problem for some chasing situations.

I am just curious...

Mick

Mine only has 10x optical too. So far, so good, I might be using the remote however for the manual focus. Seems beyond 25x it loses quality , but up to that point it's fine.

Have you tried it in low lighting yet? Can you lock the focus on infinity without the worry of bumping this stick?

Have you tried it in low lighting yet? Can you lock the focus on infinity without the worry of bumping this stick?

Not to bad with low lighting, I might be able to post an example later. The camera is TINY and for me i can thumb the joystick and use my middle finger for the zoom. It's not so hard once you get used to it, but if I had the chance I'd get one with the ring, because the joystick takes getting used to.

Mick I would like to try it out this coming week if i will be able to with a chase and see how it handels in all the lighting situations. This is if the GFS and EC aren't yanking our chain like this last set here coming on Saturday. Either way from what i have done so far it looks good. Its not very grainy at all with 18db gain up. But I think a larger chip would help in the matter. I want to timelapse a sunset when i get the chance to see how it looks with good light diming down to darkness and see how it looks from that. so when i get the chance and its not cloudy here ill post a clip some time hopefully saturday.

Ok, I've given up on trying to talk myself into the HDV market this year. I'm back to wanting something at a decent price so I can chase and not be drug down by having dropped $3200 on the FX1(battery and new bag...plus costly HD grade minidv tapes). I almost got it or the HC1, but reading around on the HC1 I have become scared of its low light ability and focusing(especially so at $1500). There were some low light examples at http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com that had horrid noise...regardless of what the charts show at camcorderinfo.com.

Here is the thread on it with the 3 examples shown. http://www.sonyhdvinfo.com/showthread.php?t=3829 Yeah that is very low light but still that noise is bad. I can't talk myself into $1500 for something giving that much noise back. I am not sure my POS TRV-19 even gives that much noise in a room at night and it was $400 new...and sucks.

But if you look at it here it really is nice at 15 and 60 lux when compared to other cameras. http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-...-HC1-Review.htm So I'm not sure what to think on its low light, other than fear what it may be.

Well anyway, I can't see spending $1500 on that when it has low light issues. If anyone is wondering about getting the HC1 I'd read around on the HC1 forum on that site. It seems like those not going into lower light LOVE the thing, but there are several comments about its crappy low light.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/JVC-G...rder-Review.htm
This JVC-GR-X5 is rated with the best resolution of any non-hdv cam. It also has some amazing 15 lux images with the Auto Gain Control turned on(which it sounds like most cams have this going so you wouldn't want to shoot in lower light with it turned off, as can be seen on the link). The big problem with it to me is the stupid LCD with NO viewfinder, lol. Doh.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panas...rder-Review.htm
But, for the same $1000 one could get a Panasonic GS500 and be about the same at 15 lux as that nice X5 chart showing(especially if you mess with gain). The above url goes to the GS400 charts which should be similar to the new 500 replacement. So, I would certainly get this over the JVC X5--if you were spending $1000.

Now, if you take a trip down into the $650 to $700 price range, like I am, here is what I think I've found/figured out. I've stared at all this crap most of this week. I have 7 tabs open with different cameras and charts on camcorder info. I keep flipping between them all and trying to remember prices.

I'm only going to talk about the Panasonic GS300 and the Sony HC90.
BHPhotovideo.com has the GS300 for $650 and the HC90 for $700. I'll start from the bottom up when looking at lux charts. Open the two following links and place the lux charts at the same spot at the top of your browser and compare.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panas...rder-Review.htm

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Sony-...rder-Review.htm

15 lux:

They say the 15 lux sucks on the GS300 and is unusable. Well it is certainly darker than the HC90. I imagine if you messed with the gain control you'd quickly have a better image than the HC90. The contrast between white and black on the greyscale seems to favor the GS300, if you gained it up some. But anyway, I guess one could say the HC90 wins that very low light battle. I myself think I may like the GS300 image better with some minor gain increase(the HC90 contast is flat at all light levels).

60 lux (the equivalent of a somewhat dim indoor room) I'd say many lower light storm settings before it is dark would fit this:

Here the GS300 starts to win. Bye bye Sony HC90. The sony may be a smidge brighter, but the contrast is in favor of the GS300. Just look at the grey scale or even the top row of colors. Look at the contrast between each shade. In my book the Panasonic is winning at 60 lux.

3000 lux:

At 3000 lux the Panasonic is sooooooo far ahead of the Sony. Those 3ccd's on the GS300 really show. The contrast is there again as well. I don't think it is a very good sign when the HC90 is that flat and drab at 3000 lux.

So from 3000 lux down to 60 there is no doubt the Panasonic GS300 leads the way. I mean if it is that big of a difference between the two at 3000 and very similar at 60, or maybe favoring the GS300 again, I guess that whole range would have to favor the GS300. Flipping back and forth between the two at 3000 lux is more than enough of a difference to counter whatever difference there might be at 15. It is an insane difference at 3000. Just compare the blacks and whites between the two, LOL! And down at 15, I don't think the difference is all that great when one considers how dark that is and the fact there is no gain adjustment on it. Not just that but the GS300 shows stronger colors and more contrast anyway. Some gain and I bet it is better or as good as the Sony HC90.

Well I did all this to help figure out what I wanted, lol. I think I'm going with the GS300 finally.

I have no reason to favor one or the other or be biased. $50 difference sure as hell isn't going to be a reason. I've always had Sony so I should be Sony biased if anything.

It seems when one talks about video cameras for chasing that the low light issue is always raised. Well it should be, but. Think about what 15 lux even is. 15 lux is going to be well after the sun has set and very close to dark. Most shooting done while chasing is going to be 60 lux and up. Some site says 60 lux is equal to a dimly lit night club. I think I'd much rather have what the GS300 is offering in the 60-3000 lux range.

Ok, now to go do this all over again so I'm "sure" what I want. I'm soooo sick of looking at camcorders.

Wow...I was doing the same thing today and came to exactly the same conclusion. I had the HC1 on my "gift list" for the last month or two but just couldn't pull the trigger on the bigger price tag. I had really wanted the GS400 but nobody I was willing to trust had them on sale anymore.

I didn't spend as much time as you but I nearly pulled the trigger on the GS300 today (had the credit card out and everything) but backed off again because I just wasn't sure. Glad to see I was probably heading down the right path.

After much groveling, convincing and pleading(and giving up buying my letter jacket, at least for the time being) I have managed to get my parents to bid on a lightly used Sony TRV900 on Ebay. There are several lightly used ones up for grabs, so the next few days I will keep my eye out and if I could get one for under $700 I would be very pleased. I just really like the low light performance ratings and it being highly recommended by other chasers.

Well I've finally bought a Sony DCR-HC90 on Ebay! I was lucky enough to get a great seller too! I know that it's not the best camcorder, but the 1/3in. CCD and outstanding low-light performance of the camcorder was what finally got me to bid on one. I too spent hours and hours on camcorderinfo.com and came to the conclusion that I don't want to have to mess with the manual controls(mostly because I'm not very camcorder savvy). I would much rather film a tornado than get a bad picture because I had one or more of the manual features on a bad setting. Anyway, once i've had a chance to use the camcorder, I'll post my opinions on it.

Back