Baron on TV Weathercast

fplowman

Maybe this has been covered before???

I was aware or so I have heard that Baron Services provided data to News station outlets so they could prepare their weathercast. I was unaware however they used a graphical Baron solution.

I was watching the KC TV5 weather this evening and noticed the doppler radar they were showing was very much so like Baron TN on my laptop. The graphics were similiar enough to make me believe it was a Baron product and prompted me to make this post.

"Has anyone else noticed this? Im sure others here would have some insight in more detail on this.

Thanks

Fred

Baron Services was the first company to ever do a storm tracking program for TV weather..... the first with street level mapping with radar, lightning overlay with radar..... They are the creators of FasTrac, VIPIR, StormWarn...etc.

For more info about all their broadcast products, you can check out http://www.baronservices.com

Just becareful how much credit you give Baron...

http://www.newsok.com/article/903060/?template=news/main

England holds the distinction of being the person who initiated, with Enterprise Electronics, development of the world's first commercial Doppler radar. In 1981, Gary became the first person to use Doppler radar for direct warnings to the public. He is also recognized for his development of 'First Warning' and 'Storm Tracker' technology - automated severe weather systems now in use nationwide.

Just becareful how much credit you give Baron...

http://www.newsok.com/article/903060/?template=news/main

England holds the distinction of being the person who initiated, with Enterprise Electronics, development of the world's first commercial Doppler radar. In 1981, Gary became the first person to use Doppler radar for direct warnings to the public. He is also recognized for his development of 'First Warning' and 'Storm Tracker' technology - automated severe weather systems now in use nationwide.
[/b]

I believe Baron Services and Enterprise Electronics are affiliated. I’d bet that Mr. England used Enterprise Electronics hardware and Baron Services software back in 1981.

Scott Currens
www.violentplains.com

Baron Services Inc. was started after the 1989 Huntsville, AL tornado...... I should've clarified above. I meant the first commerically available storm tracker with radar data. That distinction does go to Baron. And as far as StormWarn, I didn't mean they're the first of that kind of system....but they are the owners of that specific system (some viewers recognize the programs' names, but don't know who makes the stuff.)

Gary England has had a couple weather companies over the years. A few years ago he started up the company that rolled out the weather bugs (not Weather Bug itself) for the home PC. He sold it off...they went under and got bought out by another company that owns the technology now. The last project I heard he was working on was a better short term prediction model.

Either way everyone is right here. England was the first to do it for TV, while Baron was the first to market it (probably after buying it from England) to other stations. Both are sitting on more money than we'll ever know what to do with. :)

Back