• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Australian Supercell outbreak

Hi Melissa,

Hmmmm I have a different, perhaps more realistic view of Victoria and I think James was perhaps being a touch modest:) I'd hate to be given a non-realistic perspective when considering what storms exist in Tornado Alley. If you don't mind mostly low topped storms and occasional decent storm action, then it is the state for you. If you are after regular supercells and regular big action, northern New South Wales seems to be more consistent in producing anything remotely close to what the US has to offer take out the typical tornadoes. Southeast Queensland has the mositure and some good shear to provide great stors also. Yes they do get tornadoes in Victoria and New South Wales for that matter but only occasionl and extremely irregular. Australia gets realtively few tornadoes despite claims of population density.

If you are going to Victoria for touring alone then it has some great scenery, a flat landscape inland and a better road network etc and some nice resturants in Melbourne. I guess if you are heading out that way, certainly enjoy yourself. They are due for some storms as not much has really happened really this season with quite a few storm chasers invading New South Wales during December in particular:)

I guess check out the site provided to you in regards to Victoria and then compare with James own site:

http://www.sydneystormchasers.com

or our site below predominantly chasing in New South Wales

http://www.australiasevereweather.com/stor...news/index.html

Remember our storm season is October to March.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Problem for Victoria is it is cut from moisture. Its best exposure to moisture comes from the southwest and then that is still only low dewpoint air.

We have been envious over here in NZ of the storm activity New South Wales gets.

I suspect the highest incidence of torndoes in Australia occurs in the south, notably Victoria, south western Australia. These tend to be associated with polar origin airmasses and likely similar to what California experiences in the winter. :)

I suspect the highest incidence of torndoes in Australia occurs in the south, notably Victoria, south western Australia. These tend to be associated with polar origin airmasses and likely similar to what California experiences in the winter.

Stephen right on from a winter perspective.

From a warm season supercell perspective the verdict is still out though I suspect the northern state stands a better chance based on supercell occurrences alone. The occurences/reports of actual cases alone are insufficient to map a consistent climatological pattern even remotely similar to that of Tornado Alley.

Regards,

Jimmy Deguara

Back