Audio problems with Power Director and .MOV files

JeremyS

EF4
Looking for any help or suggestions on a problem I am having when trying to create completed/edited movies in Power Director version 12. This is the free version that came on my Toshiba laptop.
Here's what happens:
In the edit function of PD12, I drag my movie clips onto the timeline and have no problems with hearing the audio of the clips. In other words, when I preview the clip in the player I can hear the audio of all types of files including the .MOV files I have moved onto my computer from my Street Guardian dash cam. I also transfer videos from my video camera and they are M2TS files.
I can also just go to the folder that the clips are in and play those with my windows media player or I guess what my computer calls "Movies and TV" player.
Yesterday, I created a new project to make a movie with my chase clips from last week on 5/16. I dragged all the dash cam clips and my video camera file onto the Power Director edit page. I did my edits, etc, played the unfinished product, had audio throughout, and then created the movie.
When I play back the finished movie, it opens up in my "Movies and TV" program on my laptop. I had my dash cam clips first, and immediately I noticed there is no audio. I tried on several spots in the movie and nothing. Finally when I get to the last couple of minutes of the video which is my video recorded from my video camera(M2TS file), I have sound.
So, any ideas why I have no audio only on the finished product and only what would be the .MOV files from my dashcam, when again I have audio on these files in the preview function of PD12 and also when I just play my dash cam clips in my media player?
Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

I was a longtime user of PDR10 until just the last few weeks. My version of the software simply won't run anymore. Gone back and forth with with Cyberlink support and haven't really gotten anywhere. At least you still have a working version.

My only suggestion is to try rendering it again. If that doesn't work, try rendering using a different video type. I usually use MPEG-4. Dunno if V12 has those same options as V10.

I was a longtime user of PDR10 until just the last few weeks. My version of the software simply won't run anymore. Gone back and forth with with Cyberlink support and haven't really gotten anywhere. At least you still have a working version.

My only suggestion is to try rendering it again. If that doesn't work, try rendering using a different video type. I usually use MPEG-4. Dunno if V12 has those same options as V10.

Yeah I don't know if it's a standard now or what, but my last 2 laptops have had had Power Director on them already loaded. They're not the full version though so I don't have all the features but for what I do, it's plenty.
I did try to render just a short clip of my dash cam video. I created a new project, previewed the clip and had audio, and then produced the movie and again nothing. There's a little box you can check that takes away the audio so I made sure that was still checked to have audio.
Funny thing is, I do use MPEG-4 currently so maybe I'll try some of the other types. I just want to make sure since all of my video is in HD, I don't lose any quality. Also, I want to make sure the movies are in a format that is compatible across all media(YouTube, Facebook, etc).
I have "AVI", "H.264 AVC", "WMV", "MPEG-4", and "MKV" for choices in PD12 to choose from for the type of movie to create.
Any ideas if any one of those would be the best option to choose other than MPEG-4?
Thanks again!

I've been using Power Director for the past two years. Paid for it because it's lightweight and works great on my laptop.

If you have Windows 10, you will have issues with .mov. Uninstalling Power Director, then uninstalling Quick Time, then reinstalling both fixed the issues for me, but that's not recommended if you can't reinstall Power Director because it was a free program when you purchased the computer. The latest versions (I believe PD13 +) fix the .mov issues, but you have to pay to upgrade. Before I upgraded, I got a warning when I imported .mov that said, "Apple QuickTime is not supported." As a work around, you can use another program (Handbreak is recommended) to covert your .mov to .mp4 before you import them into Power Director, and that should fix your issues. Also try installing QuickTime if you haven't already.

I always Google the recommended format for YouTube and encode for that. Right now, it's H.264, MPEG-4. Choose MPEG-4, then under that, choose H.264. Do not select H.264 AVC.

Last edited:
I've been using Power Director for the past two years. Paid for it because it's lightweight and works great on my laptop.

If you have Windows 10, you will have issues with .mov. Uninstalling Power Director, then uninstalling Quick Time, then reinstalling both fixed the issues for me, but that's not recommended if you can't reinstall Power Director because it was a free program when you purchased the computer. The latest versions (I believe PD13 +) fix the .mov issues, but you have to pay to upgrade. Before I upgraded, I got a warning when I imported .mov that said, "Apple QuickTime is not supported." As a work around, you can use another program (Handbreak is recommended) to covert your .mov to .mp4 before you import them into Power Director, and that should fix your issues. Also try installing QuickTime if you haven't already.

I always Google the recommended format for YouTube and encode for that. Right now, it's H.264, MPEG-4. Choose MPEG-4, then under that, choose H.264. Do not select H.264 AVC.

Thanks for the info! I haven't had a chance to play around with it again with the busy chase week, but hopefully I can try some of this stuff this weekend.

upload_2016-6-13_23-3-14.png

For those of you who use PowerDirector, these are the proper settings for YouTube. The "Profile name/Quality" can be changed to 24p and/or 4K if needed.

Back