• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Application of Meteorology Degree for Storm Chasing

I'll agree with the others in this thread. An undergrad degree in meteorology didn't do much for me for chasing. Most programs are very theory based and not forecasting based. I remember my one forecasting class and I had it in the fall, so late August through December... Not much warm-weather forecasting happening in that timeframe.
I didn't chase before studying meteorology, but I will say that my meteorology degree didn't do much for me either. Maybe it's also because the program at my school (Western Connecticut State University) was more theoretical than anything and barely spent any time on severe weather prediction, skew-ts, etc. Our school did not offer a Radar Meteorology course either...

I learned a tremendous amount from just diving into the field and basically teaching myself to chase, by trial and error. It tooks several weeks of chasing all different types of setups before things really started to click. Having grown up in the Northeast, I really didn't know a lot about chasing for most of my life, simply because there wasn't any real chasing to be done, locally, and I didn't heavily research severe weather. After having only chased west of the Appalachians twice, I became hooked.

Everyone has their opinions. Studying meteorology can help, but it's absolutely not a requirement to become a solid storm chaser. All things in balance if you want to do something effectively. Much like "street smarts," there are also "chase smarts" that one can only learn from being out in the field.

Back