Application of Meteorology Degree for Storm Chasing

I did not go to school for meteorology, but I would like to know from the ST members that are meteorologist, have undergrad degrees, or advanced degrees in meteorology about the percentage of their degree that can be directly applied to tornado chasing. To be a little more specific, I have a few questions to guide the answers:

1. What percentage of the time spent studying for and obtaining a meteorology degree (undergrad or advanced) can be directly applied to tornado chasing?

2. What do you end up spending most of your time on when you get a degree in meteorology? Is it mostly learning equations (or in an advanced degree actually creating the equations), understanding the interplay, reliability, and limitations of NWP models and ensembles, or theoretical knowledge?

3. If you know someone that wants to be a tornado chaser and is very enthusiastic, would you recommend that they get a meteorology degree? Or, would you just recommend some helpful resources (meted, theweatherprediction.com, etc.) and tell them to study a lot and chase regularly, if possible, with someone with experience.

1 & 2.) Honestly, a degree in meteorology isn't too useful when it comes to storm chasing. The majority of classes are aimed at applying calculus to theoretical principles (Thermodynamics, cloud physics, etc.). I don't know how it's done at other universities, but the only applicable knowledge tends to come senior year at OU.

3.) Chasing regularly and studying on your own is far more effective than tossing out thousands of dollars to get a degree to help with a hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 & 2.) Honestly, a degree in meteorology isn't too useful when it comes to storm chasing.

I have to somewhat disagree with this point. The forecasting classes one takes while getting a met degree are EXTREMELY useful. While this one course specifically was not a requirement to graduate, I did take a class for severe weather forecasting in UAlbany, and it's probably the best thing I could have done for storm chasing. While the calculus-based courses aren't particularly useful when standing outside watching towers go up, I definitely learned quite a bit for the several forecasting classes that help me pick a target area.

Other than some select courses though, the majority of a met degree is not that useful for storm chasing. Some schools do offer fairly direct classes geared toward storm chasing/severe weather, and some classes (like those out of Virginia Tech) actually DO go storm chasing for coursework.

To answer on my own accord:

1) Only a small percentage of course work can be directly utilized for storm chasing, and usually such coursework is usually not part of the requirement for a basic met degree.

2) It is very heavily calculus based if you're going for a B.S. in meteorology. Lots of deriving equations and how to apply it towards atmospheric processes. Some schools offer a less math-intensive B.A. for broadcast mets, but some basic calc is still needed.

3) A met degree is for someone who wants to spend the rest of their lives working in that field. It is not an easy degree to get and takes a lot of dedication. A relatively large percentage of people who start the B.S. degree drop out. Unless you are absolutely sure you want to make a career out of it, don't bother. The best way for beginner chasers to learn is to look at material online and to go chasing with someone with experience first. But reading will only get you so far... listening to experienced chasers in the field and soaking up their knowledge will have the most benefit.

1. What percentage of the time spent studying for and obtaining a meteorology degree (undergrad or advanced) can be directly applied to tornado chasing?

I sort of agree with James' response to this question. While I agree that you generally don't earn a BS in meteorology just so you can use it to chase (you'd be wasting your time and money if this was your only reason), I've found quite a bit of the things I learned from my undergrad classes to be useful in storm chasing. Anything that pertains to thermodynamics of moist air and cloud physics is generally applicable to storm chasing. I can recall 2 or 3 classes I took at Iowa State that provided a wealth of material that I found instantly useful while chasing. A course on mesoscale meteorology is also very helpful.

2. What do you end up spending most of your time on when you get a degree in meteorology? Is it mostly learning equations (or in an advanced degree actually creating the equations), understanding the interplay, reliability, and limitations of NWP models and ensembles, or theoretical knowledge?

Each school differs somewhat in the fraction of time spent learning theory vs. time spent learning more practical stuff. However, >50% of the time is spent learning equations and deriving them. There was very little of my undergrad classes that focused on understanding NWP models. The meteorology program at Iowa State focuses heavily on synoptic and mesoscale forecasting applications rather than learning the ins and outs of NWP. NWP is left for graduate level study for most people.

3. If you know someone that wants to be a tornado chaser and is very enthusiastic, would you recommend that they get a meteorology degree? Or, would you just recommend some helpful resources (meted, theweatherprediction.com, etc.) and tell them to study a lot and chase regularly, if possible, with someone with experience.

As I hinted at in my response to your first question, no, there is no need to obtain a BS in meteorology if all you want to do is chase. Use free online resources like the ones you mentioned and read chase accounts from other people. I recall reading pretty much all of Mike Hollingshead's (www.extremeinstability.com) chase accounts when I was starting out. He did a good job at including meteorological features he encountered on his chases.

Again, all schools do things a little differently. You can read a lot on how they do things at Iowa State by perusing this link (http://www.ge-at.iastate.edu/underg...dergraduate-program/meteorology-program-faqs/).

It definitely does vary by school, OU is very theory-heavy for undergrad. I don't actually think there's a legitimate forecasting class offered here but you can pick up decent tidbits during Synoptic Lab and Mesoscale in the fourth year as well as during the labs for Intro 1 and 2 during your sophomore year. A lot of the problems you learn to solve for would be considered "idealized" compared to the imperfect situations you would run into on a chase day. Like Mark said, it's also not particularly helpful to know how to integrate the CAPE equation when you're sitting on the nose of a dryline bulge under some TCu and a computer can do it 40x faster than you.

At the start of my undergrad at OU they told us if we wanted to be good forecasters to go join the Air Force. They weren't kidding, because most formal university training in meteorology won't teach you much about forecasting, which is what you really want for storm chasing.

The actual act of storm chasing will come through experience though. Definitely go with people who know what they are doing, storms can be confusing if you can't figure out what you are looking at. You need to be able to tell if the rain core you are looking at is just rain, or if it is rain that could contain a tornado. You'll get this from experience of being around storms and identifying the different parts of the storm over time. Classroom training, right now, can't simulate this sort of thing you have to be out there and really experience it.

I'll agree with the others in this thread. An undergrad degree in meteorology didn't do much for me for chasing. Most programs are very theory based and not forecasting based. I remember my one forecasting class and I had it in the fall, so late August through December... Not much warm-weather forecasting happening in that timeframe.

IMHO getting a meteorology degree is probably more detrimental to chasing tornadoes than anything. The more a person knows, the more they look for problems with a given setup. It's so much easier when you don't worry about every subtle detail, just walk out the door, get in your vehicle, and go chase.

Bottom line, if you want to be a meteorologist, get a meteorology degree. If you want to chase tornadoes, just go chase tornadoes.

IMHO getting a meteorology degree is probably more detrimental to chasing tornadoes than anything.

Well if you just want to chase SPC outlines, it's better if you don't know the meteorology behind it. If you want tornadoes, knowing what's going on with the background of a met degree is always advantageous.

Well if you just want to chase SPC outlines, it's better if you don't know the meteorology behind it. If you want tornadoes, knowing what's going on with the background of a met degree is always advantageous.

Actually, not over-thinking 45 subtle details helps a lot. Half the method to successful chasing is getting off your ass and getting out there. The more you know, the more you start hesitating and second-guessing. Doesn't always bode well as it applies to chasing.

The more you know, the more you start hesitating and second-guessing. Doesn't always bode well as it applies to chasing.

I think the opposite is true. The more I know, the more confident I am in seeing things that other may miss. Hesitation and second guessing occurs when you aren't comfortable with your knowledge level.

IMHO getting a meteorology degree is probably more detrimental to chasing tornadoes than anything. The more a person knows, the more they look for problems with a given setup. It's so much easier when you don't worry about every subtle detail, just walk out the door, get in your vehicle, and go chase.

Bottom line, if you want to be a meteorologist, get a meteorology degree. If you want to chase tornadoes, just go chase tornadoes.

I agree, though not having a met degree, I can't really confirm it. In my experience, albeit fairly limited, nowcasting is the most important factor in chasing success vs. failure, and from the responses in this thread so far, doesn't look like a met degree will really teach that.

IMHO getting a meteorology degree is probably more detrimental to chasing tornadoes than anything.

Totally disagree. I've seen way more tornadoes since completing my BS than I did before getting it.

On top of the raw statistics, I also understand what's going on way more now than before I got my degree. When I bust, I'm pretty quickly able to figure out why. It's not always something you learn in spotter training or by chasing with veterans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think jeff brings up a crucial component to becoming a better chaser and apparently something a meteorology degree can help with: post chase reflection and analysis. It's a very important piece to becoming a more successful chaser but I think it's often overlooked; I know I've been guilty of that. When I used to bust, I would just say oh well, then I would drive home and get on with my life. I wouldn't take the time to think about or analyze what happened. Obviously you don't need a meteorology degree to do this; but, it's a valid point to make.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Back