Any Recommendations for Storm Chase Tour

Kathleen Grinnell

Enthusiast
Hi - I'm very new to the site and love the conversations/forums, etc. and the information provided by the members. I have been researching several of the storm tours and would like to find out if there is one in particular that stands out from the rest. As this will be my first tour, I'm excited (and a little nervous) about my choice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Thanks very much Boris. I have them on my list of options and to hear that you have returned 3 times is a testament to their tour! I'll check them in out in more detail. Thank you again for your recommendation!

Hi - I'm very new to the site and love the conversations/forums, etc. and the information provided by the members. I have been researching several of the storm tours and would like to find out if there is one in particular that stands out from the rest. As this will be my first tour, I'm excited (and a little nervous) about my choice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!
I would not recommend storm tours.com. Went on a tour with them several years ago and it was the worst tour of any kind I have ever been on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Stormtrack mobile app

A basic question that will reveal if a tour operator has their ducks in a row is to ask if they are properly insured. It's one of the biggest expenses of running a tour, and some simply don't bother with it. Some are running on their personal auto policy with a business rider, which won't cover anything when the insurance company finds out they are transporting passengers for hire (just like what's happening with Uber and Lyft).

There are many good tours out there. I think the "big three" are the best ones to choose. These are Cloud 9 Tours, Tempest and Silver Lining. Check out their websites, chase logs and accounts by past participants. Extreme Tornado Tours is also good. I went on Cloud 9 Tours years ago and had a great experience. Do your research. Remember that there is no guarantee of seeing a tornado and even the best tours will miss big events.

Bill Hark

The best advice is to never rely on anyone for insurance. Just because a tour is "insured" does not automatically translate into funds if you are injured. Recovering your expenses can take years and there is no guarantee you will recover anything for a host of reasons, including policy coverage issues. As an injury attorney, my wife sees this all the time. Before any adventure you should a: have your own medical insurance and b: take out a travel insurance policy that includes an "adventure" package with emergency evacuation coverage. It's not that expensive. I buy such policies for everyone who chases with me.

As for which tour group, I don't endorse anyone, but I've heard nothing but good things about Roger's Silver Lining Tours. I do know some other tour groups have a history of dangerous stunts (aggressive behavior) and I would try to avoid them. They have been discussed here and in other forums.

W.

Last edited:
I think they are great too!!!!!

Back