Anticipating Tornadoes With Visual Cues

Hey folks, I thought I'd share a video version of a presentation I put together for the 2015 DuPage Advanced Severe Weather Seminar and the 2015 Minnesota Severe Storms Conferences. The title is Storm Spotting Secrets and it covers topics in anticipating tornadoes using visual cues in supercell structure. This is the information I've found to be most specific to identifying if and where tornadoes will form. I wanted to point and emphasize things that I've learned in the field as a chaser that aren't covered in great detail in spotter class but could greatly benefit spotters.

Fantastic video and incredibly informative! I'm going to have to look back at my videos and photos of past storms to see if I can put this knowledge to use for the future.

Hey folks, I thought I'd share a video version of a presentation I put together for the 2015 DuPage Advanced Severe Weather Seminar and the 2015 Minnesota Severe Storms Conferences. The title is Storm Spotting Secrets and it covers topics in anticipating tornadoes using visual cues in supercell structure. This is the information I've found to be most specific to identifying if and where tornadoes will form. I wanted to point and emphasize things that I've learned in the field as a chaser that aren't covered in great detail in spotter class but could greatly benefit spotters.

Outstanding!

Skip, thank you for a informative video! As I watched many of the uncertain structures from last year, now many things come into place!
Thanks again

Thank you for putting together this presentation, Skip! It is very informative, and I learned something from it. I put this video in my favorites folder on Youtube for future reference, and plan on sharing this with other spotters in my area.

Thanks for the video, @Skip Talbot . With every step, I learned something new. I’ll watch it at least five more times. It would do well if you CONTINUED your Storm Lapse Series!

Thanks for the feedback Mike, Sarah, and others. Glad folks are getting some use out of it. I got sucked into Facebook and haven't been over on the forum here as much as I should be, but I'm hoping to get my latest storm spotting presentation I did for the 2017 COD seminar and 2018 Minnesota conference up on YouTube soon. I'll post back here when I do and would appreciate any feedback or critiques.

Very well done job. Excellent use of video to explain what spotters need to look out for -- just waiting for the first chaser to call himself or herself "Ghost Rider." :)

*Cough* PLEASE CONTINUE *cough* YOUR *cough* STORM LAPSE SERIES *cough*

With all joking aside, your storm lapse is really a chasing wonder. Truthfully speaking, it’s even better than Timmer’s Tornado Chasers series (Sorry, Reed). It is also better than Discovery’s Storm Chasers series.

Skip -
I watched this video on youtube. Very well done and informative! We get HP Supercells more often than the "Classic" type, so I found this helpful in identifying where to look when anticipating tornado formation. Thanks for sharing this awesome video!

Back