And the Winner Is.....

Wading River, NY...on Long Island. 17.92" of rain in the past 5 days. Though many other areas in the Northeast have seen 10-15" of rain as well. Death toll is now at 11.

In Darien, CT I'm at 8.83 for the month (basically just the 10/7-10/14 storms).

Its amazing what orographics and mesoscale banding can do. I live right on the sound and am clearly on the low end for this event. Many places only a few miles inland from me have twice as much rain.

I'm over 9" for the month!

As that low bombs to my NE, the winds are really getting up there...highest gust so far is over 45mph - high wind warning still in effect.

Originally posted by HAltschule
Wading River, NY...on Long Island. 17.92\" of rain in the past 5 days. Though many other areas in the Northeast have seen 10-15\" of rain as well. Death toll is now at 11.

Holy crap!! That's over 3" more than we've had here since January 1st! :shock:

We also have the High Wind Warning in effect. Scattered reports of trees and wires down area-wide. NYC even has trees down along with windows blown out of the 17th floor of a building.

Winds have been gusting to approximately 45-50mph all day here in the Capital District.

We also have the High Wind Warning in effect. Scattered reports of trees and wires down area-wide. NYC even has trees down along with windows blown out of the 17th floor of a building.

Winds have been gusting to approximately 45-50mph all day here in the Capital District.

I remember quite an interesting wind event around here, last year - 'tis the season!

wind.JPG

The wind, in a synoptic storm, gusted to around 70MPH quite a few times. I managed to see this porta-john lofted, and then rolled about 300FT, smashing into the fence. I also noticed garbage and other light debris (paper, bags, etc.) quite a ways up into the air (probably on the order of 150FT - it was WELL above the trees and whatnot).

Luckily, all of the leaves were off the trees - I'm willing to bet that a 50MPH on a tree with leaves is equal to (if not worse) than a 70MPH gust on defoliated trees.

What a Sh*tty turn of events. :lol: I mean, that would really STINK if someone were in there and the thing tipped. :lol:

I hope you got the heck out of there before the aroma/stench got too bad!! (couldn't resist a little humor. I am in a happy mood b/c we don't have to use the arks we built last week...it actually stopped raining yesterday after 8 days and this big biright orange round thing was shining bright. I seem to remember it being called "the sun").

And the winner is for wind.....Mount Washington with a peak gust of 136mph. Its no fair though, they always win, big bullies.

That's the strongest gust they have seen since last November when they had a gust to 139mph.

What a Sh*tty turn of events. :lol: I mean, that would really STINK if someone were in there and the thing tipped. :lol:

I hope you got the heck out of there before the aroma/stench got too bad!! (couldn't resist a little humor. I am in a happy mood b/c we don't have to use the arks we built last week...it actually stopped raining yesterday after 8 days and this big biright orange round thing was shining bright. I seem to remember it being called \"the sun\").

We see those Cowboy lockers turned over here in a healthy thunderstorm. Still funny though.

I know sometimes you regret what you wish for, but we are in a baaaaad drought down here, can you send some of your excess rain this way? My poor lawn has hay spots in it. :lol:

Back