And, now... A bit of Cloud Art....

• Thread starter Pedro C. Fernández
  • Start date
Fantastic pictures in that link although I think these clouds are not the same. In this case, we are talking about stormy clouds while in the first case we are talking about Orographic Clouds (lenticular clouds and other asocciated clouds with this situations)...

Right, the clouds in the link Sam and I posted were clouds rendered from storm effects. The clouds you posted are orographic clouds. (Clouds rendered by the earths terrain).

Originally posted by Andrew Khan
Right, the clouds in the link Sam and I posted were clouds rendered from storm effects. The clouds you posted are orographic clouds. (Clouds rendered by the earths terrain).

Aha... For example, I took this one from a big cumulonimbus cloud last 1st June of 2003, here. Clouds showed these shapes after a shelf-cloud from an arcus came across.

clouds0001b.jpg

We are not talking about the same clouds.

By the way, the autor has told me he only used the NikonView software (he has the Nikon D70) with polarizing filter and he selected a focus mask and automatic colours... He is traying to log into the forum but he can't. Is there some problem with his account perhaps? :(

I don't think any of these cloud photos in cazatormentas.net were faked at all, other than maybe contrast enhancing. (hey, even chaser do that with poor-contrast sups and tors!)

I've seen similar orographic wave clouds a number of times in southern BC, usually over Vancouver and the Lower Mainland region. They usually seem to be most common in the fall and winter there.

And recently, I did see a layer of those highly "sculpted" mid-level clouds over the northern Okanagan region of BC while on a WestJet 737 flight from Kelowna to Edmonton earlier this May. Such orographic wave clouds may indicate high turbulence, because that flight got pretty rough very shortly after passing through that sculpted cloud deck.

Back