And, now... A bit of Cloud Art....

• Thread starter Pedro C. Fernández
  • Start date
Dear Pedro,

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but those cloud photos are not 100% real are they? They seem like they are either painted using a editing program or something? Just verifying my impression.

If they are real, then I have never seen anything like that either.

Regards.

Howie,

I don't know Pedro or any of his friends, but I would backup those photos. I've seen all sorts of mountain waves and those look real.

I think the clouds are probably real - but the images have been markedly enhanced with photoshop or a similar tool. There are clear demarkations where a mask was used, and some were simply overly enhanced to the point of no longer even looking realistic. Nevertheless, some nice images in the mix.

Glen

That's what I thought. They looked nice but a little too tweaked.

PS: I've enjoyed the tornado fotos you posted last week. Those were amazing catches!! Nice job.

I can't answer to your questions instead of him, but I think he could only change the contrast and adding a focus mask (I suposse he used a polarized filter). You can be sure he didn't draw or add anything more to the photograph. The clouds you see in the picture are the clouds there were in the sky. I completely believe him! It doesn't seem fair to me to accuse him of painting or adding something to the picture... That's not true :roll:

They look like a mix of lenticular clouds and wave clouds. I do believe these are real photographs, I don't believe anything was added to these, but I assume he did some contrast modification.. Glen, could you please point out where a mask was used on these images? I can not see any realy evidence of this..

Nobody really ever listen to me, but after looking at those images again I have seen clouds that look exactly like that. These aren't the type of clouds you see in the plains. They are more common over mountainous terrain. There are several different types of mountain waves clouds here, that just happened to be properly lit.

Maybe he messed with curves or levels or did some contrast masking, but those clouds are real.

To show this cloud is real, is is a cloud photo, with similair characteristics.

lenticular1.gif

I live in desert mountains (really mountainous, with ridges and sawtoothy looking passes). Sometimes, I swear I see hobbits :) In the winter when there is rain (this is the Sonoran desert's second rainy season - the other is summer monsoon), sometimes the clouds look just like the ones in the photos, especially in the morning. The air upslope is full of pockets and undulations and it shapes the clouds into laminar shapes and even a wave or two. It looks to me like the clouds are real but perhaps he used a polarizing filter on his lens, just a guess.

There a similar event over a city in MO earlier this year, which I found out about through ST. Maybe Springfield or Joplin, I'm not sure...I'll post the archived thread when I find it.

Originally posted by Sam Sagnella
There a similar event over a city in MO earlier this year, which I found out about through ST. Maybe Springfield or Joplin, I'm not sure...I'll post the archived thread when I find it.

I recall the event your speaking of, Sam. I believe it was in Joplin, MO. However, those clouds were called lenticularis mammatus and/or cumulonimbus mammatus, and these are different than those. Here is a link to that event. http://www.kschaser.com/lenmammatus.html

Back