Alec Baldwin to Star in 'Supercell' Action Pic

The sky background in this part of the trailer is odd - there is a nice bell-shaped supercell updraft, yet it doesn’t appear to be connected to an updraft tower, the clouds above it don’t look quite right to me. In any case, there’s the updraft in the distance, yet seconds later there’s a tornado developing right over the kid’s head. Also the blowing flags seem to show outflow at first, then immediately switch to inflow, which of course is possible but just doesn’t seem right to me at the time and location as shown in the scene. Yeah I guess we shouldn’t be expecting much meteorological accuracy in the movie, but I was hoping not to immediately see a few glaring things just in a one-minute trailer. Besides, if we can’t geek out on this kind of stuff on ST, who else would listen? 😏
5BF42B2C-25CE-4E26-B479-FA0758E9BFEA.jpeg

The sky background in this part of the trailer is odd - there is a nice bell-shaped supercell updraft, yet it doesn’t appear to be connected to an updraft tower, the clouds above it don’t look quite right to me. In any case, there’s the updraft in the distance, yet seconds later there’s a tornado developing right over the kid’s head. Also the blowing flags seem to show outflow at first, then immediately switch to inflow, which of course is possible but just doesn’t seem right to me at the time and location as shown in the scene. Yeah I guess we shouldn’t be expecting much meteorological accuracy in the movie, but I was hoping not to immediately see a few glaring things just in a one-minute trailer. Besides, if we can’t geek out on this kind of stuff on ST, who else would listen? 😏
View attachment 23228

Obviously its not going to be SUPER realistic like we want it to be, there will be oddities. but i can see they're trying to an extent. at least its not this:
download.jpg
Storm? what storm? its just a Cloudy day with a shrimp-dinky looking wall cloud.

They had a Q&A panel with the director at TESSA this year. While I'm sure we will pick apart and debate the details when we finally get to see it - I will say the director did his homework. He attended TESSA in 2020. He went chasing for a full season before filming. He had Skip Talbot, Martin Lisius, and Kim George involved in the movie. It may not be perfect, but I think he did try for accuracy. I've been kicked out of a gas station during a tornado warning so they could close. All the camera angles make it hard to tell which direction you are looking at times, but at least he had inflow winds at the end of the scene. This isn't a huge budget film - so don't expect a lot of CGI. He said he was old school and uses more of the Jaws approach (where you rarely see the shark). He looks to be good at invoking storm chasing nostalgia without copying the prior art (i.e. the popcorn). If we can manage not to pick it apart - this may be an amazing movie for us chasers. The general public will not get it, but when that popcorn rose up my arm hair stood up. I instantly had the feeling I needed to take my escape route (granted it was followed by the unbelief in the probability of that really happening). In 2023 I might have to chase with some popcorn to send into updrafts....

So I googled Andrew Jeric. He has a highlight real here Andrew Jeric - IMDb that includes some Supercell footage. He clearly is a good cinematographer. He also has a web page Andrew Jeric that has some Supercell stuff on it. His instagram page ANDREW JERIC on Instagram: “Wonderful Bit of News!!! “Supercell” was just awarded the “Jury Award for Best Cinematography” at the 2022 Newport Beach Film Festival…” has some pics.

This led me to discover a new Instagram page for the movie that has even more pics Supercell (@supercellthemovie) • Instagram photos and videos

Back