Aerosonde Successfully Flown Into Ophelia

I didn't know NHC was doing this? It's an interesting data gathering method that had its first successful run today. See below.....

NHC 5pm Discussion:
"THERE IS ALSO A REPORT OF 74 KT AT 2500 FT FROM THE
FIRST-EVER SUCCESSFUL AEROSONDE FLIGHT INTO THE CORE OF A TROPICAL"CYCLONE.

Cool Picture of Aerosonde:
http://www.aerosonde.com/

Thats quite neat. Though, im I wrong in assuming that it would be destroyed if they tried to fly it into a major Hurricane?

I dont know the exact details on this but id assume they built the airframe pretty strong. Plus, it is relatively expendable.

Originally posted by MClarkson
I dont know the exact details on this but id assume they built the airframe pretty strong. Plus, it is relatively expendable.

I can see why the HH aircraft can do pretty well in Major Hurricanes. Im still not sure if it could ever survive a major Hurricane. As far as being expendable, I have no idea what they would cost years from now but guess it's well over a million dollars for this model at least. Of course in terms of lives it is definately expandable and could be a neat advance. It's kinda cool that someday UAV's could be flying all over the Atlantic and tropics 'investigating' areas of interest and Hurricanes. It would be neat to base some in Cape Verde and have them follow waves.

-

Back