Advice on lenses

I recently purchased the Canon EOS Rebel XS with the EF S 18-55 IS lens and I really want something that will zoom in much more than this particular lens. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

For the purposes of storm chasing, I use the Canon 10-22mm f/3.5 wide-angle lens. Wide-angles lenses are most preferred by storm chasers - almost unanimously - for those close-up shots. The other lens I prefer is the Canon 50mm f/1.4 fixed telephoto lens. If you bought both of these lenses new, they would retail for $1100/up. If nothing else, the 50mm will work outstanding from a farther distance, cost less than the 10-22mm wide angle, and runs about $250. Zoom telephoto lenses - unless they are stabilized - aren't preferred for chasing. The quality of the lens should be a bigger concern than the camera body is.

Expensive hobby.
I am certainly no pro - but I know what works for me...

Last edited by a moderator:
Camera Lense

I guess it really depends on what type of pictures you are wanting to take, You mention zoom

I use a couple different zoom/telephoto lenses and a couple standard lenses

I prefer a good Canon L lense

my favorite telephoto lense is a 100-400mmL around 1200 used

another everyday lense i use is a 28-135 is usm

the other poster mention the 50mm 1.8 and its a great lense

wide angile i use the 17-40L

another great lense i absouletly love is the 300m f2.8L but at the price tag of around 2K used not for sure that would be a good choice for you

Just remember you get what you pay for while they are some great lenses out there from tons of manufactuers. the better the glass the better the chance the pictures will come out looing great

Best all-around telephoto zoom for the money is the 70-200 f/4L IS. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=70-200 f/4l is&N=0 They also make this lens without the IS, but the IS on the f/4 version is worth the extra money (as is the increased image quality). They make a f/2.8 version of this lens as well, but unless you also shoot basketball or hockey or something, that extra stop isn't going to justify the vastly increased pricetag. The 70-200 f/4L IS also holds its value very well; if you buy one and want to sell it on Ebay three years from now, you'll likely recover 80% to 90% of the money you put into it.

Resist trying to find lenses that will "do it all". For example, they make lenses that go from 18mm to 200mm in a zoom; they work as advertised, they just work very poorly. Lenses with huuuuuge ranges tend to do neither the wide nor the telephoto range very well. (with the exception of one lens known as the "Bigma".)

If you have $1000 to drop, agree the 70-200 f/4IS will be a great addition to your lineup. If you are on more of a budget, consider the 55-250IS. It performs best outside in good light, but can be manageable indoors or in low light with subjects that are pretty still. The 55-250IS can be had for less than $250 and honestly produces pretty good images for the price. It makes a great pairing with the 18-55IS if you don't have a lot of money to spend.

If you have $1000 to drop, agree the 70-200 f/4IS will be a great addition to your lineup. If you are on more of a budget, consider the 55-250IS. It performs best outside in good light, but can be manageable indoors or in low light with subjects that are pretty still. The 55-250IS can be had for less than $250 and honestly produces pretty good images for the price. It makes a great pairing with the 18-55IS if you don't have a lot of money to spend.

This. I grabbed this lens when I bought my camera, figuring I wouldn't be interested in investing in a telephoto for a while...... it does a nice job.

If you're happy with the quality you get out of the 18-55, you would be happy with this one as well.

Otherwise... the 70-200 L lens is a proven winner. I'd go the used route and pickup the F4 copy. (if you have a few hundred more to spare)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, don't skimp on glass. Bodies come and go but good glass will stay around. Good glass makes a huge difference in IQ.

Good choices would be the 70-200mm f/4L IS (I have a non IS version)
24-105mm f/4L IS (A bit slow, but does have IS)
24-70mm f/2.8L
And ultra wide for a crop? either the canon 10-22mm or the tokina 11-16mm f/2.8, just make sure you get the correct mount
the 17-40mm f/4L would work, albeit, its a bit slow (narrow aperture) and it don't have IS

Back