Addon Camcorder Microphone

I'm looking for suggestions for an addon microphone for my camcorder. I have a Sony xr500v mounted on the roof of my van under an acrylic dome. I get a great picture, but the dome muffles the audio, and I'd also like audio from inside the van. Does anyone have a suggestion for a (preferably cheap) addon camcorder microphone? I was also thinking about getting two microphones and putting them on different channels as well. The left audio channel of the stereo mic input would be from inside the van and the right channel would be from outside the dome on the roof. Then I can pick which channel I want to use in the video editor. Thanks for any input.

I'm guessing the mic input on the camera is stereo miniplug? A cheaper shotgun mic is the Azden ECZ-990. B&H has them for about $55. It is a mono output thru miniplug. Probably put it in one corner of the windshield and point it towards the passengers.

As far as outside goes. I'm not really sure what would be the best since it would have to withstand the elements. I know Radio Shack makes some lapel mics that you can get on the cheap and maybe test out. Honestly I don't know how good the sound would be outside either without a serious windscreen.

Hope this helped.

I just ordered this:

Azden SMX-10 Stereo Microphone

I'll have it tomorrow. Planning on doing pretty much the same thing as you're thinking there Skip. Well not the dual mic thing but I want the mic inside the truck.

If your camera has an accessory shoe Skip that would be the best option for an external microphone from what I've read, but then if it's under a dome on the roof you wouldn't get sound from the cab, so perhaps a microphone with a cord is the best option.

Back